SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

How many official visists can a recruit take? An unofficial visit likely leaves the door open for a second visit that is the official visit. I think he might be saving his last official visit for UND. Linemates do not always prefer to stay together.

This guy is likely the Gophs #1 target. I doubt they miss out on him.

From another HA parent that knows the kid and spends time with him, he wants North Dakota.

Sorry, but I find this VERY hard to believe.

"I want to play for the Gophers" is what he said, no? I don't know anyone who would say "I want to play for the Gophers but I think I'll go to UND instead."

He wants to play with the Gophers. The Gophers are recruiting him. If both parties feel mutually, the ONLY way Minnesota doesn't get Matson is if Minnesota can't give him what he wants (undoubtedly a full scholarship).

Redwing, it is hard to believe if the quote about the gophers is accurate. But this person would have nothing to gain by speaking of the kid's interest in UND as he is a "hockey guy", ostensibly a gopher fan, and spends quite a lot of time around the HA team. The subscript to this thread is speculation, so that is what we are doing. I thought people might be interested in this shard of information, that it might not be a done deal if the sioux are interested in him.

Redwing, it is hard to believe if the quote about the gophers is accurate. But this person would have nothing to gain by speaking of the kid's interest in UND as he is a "hockey guy", ostensibly a gopher fan, and spends quite a lot of time around the HA team. The subscript to this thread is speculation, so that is what we are doing. I thought people might be interested in this shard of information, that it might not be a done deal if the sioux are interested in him.

No, it's not a done deal until he commits, but still, I find it hard to believe that someone would say something like that and then pursue a rival of the school mentioned.

I hope you are right, though.

http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit06.htm

I see a lot of 2007's filling up lists for Minn, UMD, Wisc, Denver, St. Cloud and top programs in other conferences. Are we going to get the leftovers for 2007?

I wouldnt say getting left-overs. LaPoint is still available, and his stock has been sky rocketing through the roof the past few months. I think the Sioux are still in the drivers seat, although Minny and Wisco are getting more involved.

Sorry, but I find this VERY hard to believe.

"I want to play for the Gophers" is what he said, no? I don't know anyone who would say "I want to play for the Gophers but I think I'll go to UND instead."

He wants to play with the Gophers. The Gophers are recruiting him. If both parties feel mutually, the ONLY way Minnesota doesn't get Matson is if Minnesota can't give him what he wants (undoubtedly a full scholarship).

Perhaps the Gopher dream for Minnesota hockey players is quickly fading. Tough for every elite hockey player in the state to realize that dream when they watch slots being given to North Dakotans, Canadians, Austrians, and yikes someone from Wisconsin. Better to go where you are wanted, needed, and can get solid development versus being just another cog in a media circus.

http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit06.htm

I see a lot of 2007's filling up lists for Minn, UMD, Wisc, Denver, St. Cloud and top programs in other conferences. Are we going to get the leftovers for 2007?

There's another point of view:

Some believe that those who leap at the first shot as soon as they can may end up getting the raw deal or get a player after their development stagnates or doesn't turn out to be what they wanted. An example of the raw deal is with Peter Mueller and UMN. No, Mueller isn't a bad player nor has his development stagnated by the time he left for Major Juniors, but he did leave for Major Juniors because of academic reasons (I think it was because he wanted to move on from Junior A... or whatever the NTDP was but wasn't eligible yet for NCAA play).

Sure, some of the players are going to pull the trigger too soon. Jordy Christian MAY have been one of these types of players. Others wait. These are juniors in high school. There's no rush to commit even if schools make it seem so.

Are we losing out on quality recruits? Perhaps, but just as well perhaps not. We landed Finley very late in the recruiting process. The same thing goes with Spirko, IIRC. There's nothing saying that we can't find a diamond in the rough somewhere or a quality recruit can't decide to wait.

NOTHING in recruiting is a sure thing.

EDIT: Quick statement that I hope what I say is easy to understand. Unlike many here, I'm not as good with words as I'd like to be.

"I want to play for the Gophers" is what he said, no?

Matson said he grew up a Gophers fan, adding, "I'd love to play for the Gophers."

This is the quote from the above article. On face value I would agree this pretty much says what you are assuming. If we want to dissect this for the sake of speculation, we can do that.

For instance....who wouldn't love to play for the gophers? I mean really. Other than if you grew up hating the gophers because of the rivalry, who can be critical of their coaching, facilities, program, success, etc?

On the other hand, "I'd love to play for the Gophers" is not exclusive of "I'd prefer to play for the Fighting Sioux".

Do I really believe the Sioux will end up with this recruit (assuming he's as widely wanted as reported)? No, not really. But has any hard evidence been provided that precludes that possibility?

Not that I see.

I doubt that the kid just came out during the interview and made the statement "I'd love to play for the Gophers". My guess is that the writer asked the kid if "he'd like to play for the Gophers", and then the kid gave that response. What else would he say....."no, I don't think I'd like to play for them".

If it had been a Wisconsin reporter asking him if he'd like to play for the Badgers, or a North Dakota reporter asking him if he'd like to play for the Sioux, his response would have most likely been, "I'd love to play for the Badgers", or, "I'd love to play for the Sioux". No kid is going to burn his bridges before he's even taken any official visits.

Perhaps the Gopher dream for Minnesota hockey players is quickly fading. Tough for every elite hockey player in the state to realize that dream when they watch slots being given to North Dakotans, Canadians, Austrians, and yikes someone from Wisconsin. Better to go where you are wanted, needed, and can get solid development versus being just another cog in a media circus.

I respect your opinion though I think it is wishful thinking of a Sioux fan. The Gophers never have and never will get all the players they want from Minnesota. They are very fortunate in most of the time getting a majority of the ones they want. The examples of players lost is too exhaustive to list, most of them going to UND, UW and eastern schools. Every year they get most but always lose a couple. :lol:

What about the FM Jets boys? Got any potential recruits there?? (Sorry, I don't feel like lookin through the 30 pages of the thread to look for Jets talk...)

None that I heard of. Kai Kantola was a prospect worth checking out but he committed to LSSU I think... or Bowling Green.

Here's a summary of some of the names that have been brought up here or have some geographic or family connection to the program. UND probably doesn't have much interest in some of the kids, and the reverse is also probably true. Nothing new here; just a summary.

Forwards:

Drew Fisher, 2-6-87, USHL

Jordan Willert, 11-6-87, USHL

Aaron Marvin, 5-27-88, Warroad HS

Mario Lamoureaux, 6-18-88, USHL

Taylor Matson, 9-16-88, AHA HS

Kelly Zajac, -88, Winnipeg Midgets

Jason Gregoire, 2-24-89, MJHL

Ben Winnett, 4-3-89, BCHL

Lucas Bloodoff, 5-5-89, BCHL

Colin Wilson, 10-20-89, USNDP

Jordy Murray, 1-8-90, SSM

Kelsey Tessier, 1-16-90, Colorado Midgets

David Toews, 6-7-90, Colorado Midgets

Defense:

Kyle Hardwick, 10-24-86, USHL

Derrick Lapoint, 5-13-88, WI HS

Ben Blood, 3-15-89, SSM

Erick Galt, ND HS

Goal:

Brad Theissen, 3-19-86, BCHL

Alex Kangas, 5-28-87, USHL

Beau Christian, Illinois Midgets

Players outlined in bold I think are the ones we best got a shot at....Lapoint might be a reach though.

Forwards:

Drew Fisher, 2-6-87, USHL

Jordan Willert, 11-6-87, USHL

Aaron Marvin, 5-27-88, Warroad HS

Mario Lamoureaux, 6-18-88, USHL

Taylor Matson, 9-16-88, AHA HS

Kelly Zajac, -88, Winnipeg Midgets

Jason Gregoire, 2-24-89, MJHL

Ben Winnett, 4-3-89, BCHL

Lucas Bloodoff, 5-5-89, BCHL

Colin Wilson, 10-20-89, USNDP

Jordy Murray, 1-8-90, SSM

Kelsey Tessier, 1-16-90, Colorado Midgets

David Toews, 6-7-90, Colorado Midgets

Defense:

Kyle Hardwick, 10-24-86, USHL

Derrick Lapoint, 5-13-88, WI HS

Ben Blood, 3-15-89, SSM

Erick Galt, ND HS

Goal:

Brad Theissen, 3-19-86, BCHL

Alex Kangas, 5-28-87, USHL

Beau Christian, Illinois Midgets

Any idea which way he is leaning or who else has offered?

We need to start landing some quality recruits for 07. The cupboard is pretty bare as we speak. Unfortunately, we will have to brace for early departures as well. Time to reload. It must be really frustrating to recruit and not know whether you will have that kid for one, two, three or four years. Obviously the blue chippers are not likely to stay more than a couple of years. Recruiting has become a lot more difficult and I think the new CBA in the NHL is only going to make it worse.