SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I would actually like to see us get a bigger goalie like elliot of Wisconsin. I just think being bigger they cover more of the net. I Think our goalies have been a little small and they tend to get run over with no reguard from the opposing teams.

Exactly, and remember Ken Dryden 6'4" and what he did for Cornell.

That's a general rule? Didn't know that.

Seems to be. That was sort of a cheeky thing I put in there. I mean, when's the last time we had a goaltender that was 6' or taller? I think Kvalevog was 6'0 or 6'1... but gosh, I don't know...

Seriously though, a goaltender with size would be an interesting thing to see in a Sioux uni.

Seems to be. That was sort of a cheeky thing I put in there. I mean, when's the last time we had a goaltender that was 6' or taller? I think Kvalevog was 6'0 or 6'1... but gosh, I don't know...

Seriously though, a goaltender with size would be an interesting thing to see in a Sioux uni.

toby is 5-11, but before him i think todd jones was pretty tall, 6' or better but he only started for one year. I found an old story from 2003 from INCH regarding the "recent" history of sioux goaltending, kind of an interesting read, and a good refresher on what's gone on in the last 20 years

Iceburg from GPL has a post metioning ND after a Kevin Quick from Salisbury Prep in Salisbury, Connecticut.

I have to think that it is UND and not Notre Dame, because it metions UNH and Minnesota as the other interested schools.

It is all message board hearsay, but it throws a new name out there.

i said INTERESTING READ and it also says that kvalevog and goehring are the only with a significant amount of playing time since then, did you even read the article, or did you read that excerpt, see red, and try to use it to encapsulate the entire article??

That specific article has been talked about a lot on this site, especially when it was written. They take a nice shot at Grand Forks right away in the article, not that it is a big surprise to frequent readers of that site.

Saying that Goehring got significant playing time in that article still does not fall under their whole article's theory of a curse on UND's goaltending. They try and gloss over the fact that he won a national championship and was runner up the next year. He re-wrote the record book at UND for goaltenders and had an outstanding career. If they left him out of that article, it would have probably been a little more well received.

Iceburg from GPL has a post metioning ND after a Kevin Quick from Salisbury Prep in Salisbury, Connecticut.

I have to think that it is UND and not Notre Dame, because it metions UNH and Minnesota as the other interested schools.

It is all message board hearsay, but it throws a new name out there.

USHR wrote:

11. Kevin Quick (Buffalo, NY) 6'1"/175, Had an excellent tournament. Has size, skating ability, poise with the puck, and is strong at both ends. Will be a junior at the Salisbury School. Named to the U.S. Under-18 Select Team going to Slovakia/Czech Republic in August.

i said INTERESTING READ and it also says that kvalevog and goehring are the only with a significant amount of playing time since then, did you even read the article, or did you read that excerpt, see red, and try to use it to encapsulate the entire article??

That article was a load of bovine scatology when it was first published and remains so today. The Sioux went through two seasons (01-02 and 02-03) in which goaltending was a major issue. Mike Eidelbes set up a straw man argument (i.e. UND goalies have been cursed for 16 years) and then made selective use of facts to knock down his flawed premise.

That article was a load of bovine scatology when it was first published and remains so today. The Sioux went through two seasons (01-02 and 02-03) in which goaltending was a major issue. Mike Eidelbes set up a straw man argument (i.e. UND goalies have been cursed for 16 years) and then made selective use of facts to knock down his flawed premise.

I understand that, i'm not defending or arguing with the story, or anyone else, if the story is crap, that's fine, i just happened to find it and thought it was interesting. We also haven't had a steady number one goalie since karl, and before toby, so it kind of has been a revolving door with the exception of those two mentioned. It also goes with my theory of having a steady number one and then a couple of backups. I like that karl played all the time, there wasn't a debate on who was going to start, who is hot, who had the better week of practice, who's it gonna be this week. I wish hak would call jordie, and play lammy on a stray Fri or Sat just for a rest for jordy, and nothing more. I like the live and die by one goalie theory, but they are hard to come by so i can understand what hak and blais have done, but i would prefer one or the other, whoever it may be, annointed one and two

We also haven't had a steady number one goalie since karl, and before toby, so it kind of has been a revolving door with the exception of those two mentioned.

I don't agree. That may have applied to years '02-'04, but certainly not last year - especially the last two months and it is a stretch to say, based on the numbers, that Parise isn't #1 this year.

In 2001, which was Karl's senior season, he played in 29 of 46 games and Andy played in 19 or 46. By comparison, last season Jordan played in 27 of 45 and Phil played in 18 of 45. There is hardly a difference in those numbers and both seasons ended with the same result, national runner-up.

In 2000, Karl played in 30 of 44 and Andy 15 of 44. By comparison, this season Karl has played in 20 of 32 and Phil 13 of 32. And I have to believe that Phil numbers of late are slightly inflated due to Jordan's injury.

It is an interesting comparison and clearly, based on the numbers alone, if Karl was the #1 tender in both '00 and '01, which he was, it is hard to say that Jordan wasn't #1 last season and hasn't been up to this point in this season.

Additionally, Karl played in 118 career games. Jordan has already played in 69 and barring injury, early departure or incredibly poor play, he will likely approach or surpass 100 career games. In the program's history only 3 players have broken that threshold, but it is a real possibility for Jordan.

I am not comparing their play, God forbid, just the numbers.

Why are we talking about recruiting more goalies?? Don't we have enough of them already?

I understand for 2007 or later, but we've got plenty of goalies already for next year...

Because 2006-2007 is Jordan Parise's senior year. Which means we are looking at getting a goaltender for thw 2007-2008 year. With many teams now recruiting more than a season in advance (legal or not), UND needs to get on top of things.

This Quick goaltender... isnt there a goaltender out east playing for maybe either UMass Lowell or BU that has that name? Jonathan Quick? Is Kevin a relation to him? If so, I'd be very surprised if indeed he did come west.

Not that I wouldn't take him. :lol: If he's as solid as USHR implies and everyone else says for that matter, heck yeah! Let's get him! And this is especially if the rumor regarding Brad Thiessen (the rumor is: Brad wants a scholarship for next season, not 2007) is true, Quick might be a better idea.

Because 2006-2007 is Jordan Parise's senior year. Which means we are looking at getting a goaltender for thw 2007-2008 year. With many teams now recruiting more than a season in advance (legal or not), UND needs to get on top of things.

This Quick goaltender... isnt there a goaltender out east playing for maybe either UMass Lowell or BU that has that name? Jonathan Quick? Is Kevin a relation to him? If so, I'd be very surprised if indeed he did come west.

Not that I wouldn't take him. :huh: If he's as solid as USHR implies and everyone else says for that matter, heck yeah! Let's get him! And this is especially if the rumor regarding Brad Thiessen (the rumor is: Brad wants a scholarship for next season, not 2007) is true, Quick might be a better idea.

I dno't know too many goalies that are described with good skating abilty, poise with the puck, and is stong on both ends? :lol:;)

USHR wrote:

11. Kevin Quick (Buffalo, NY) 6'1"/175, Had an excellent tournament. Has size, skating ability, poise with the puck, and is strong at both ends. Will be a junior at the Salisbury School. Named to the U.S. Under-18 Select Team going to Slovakia/Czech Republic in August.

On Heisenberg's site, he has Kevin Quick listed as a dman. So, we would still need a goalie for 07 even if we did get him.

I don't know why I thought of him as a goaltender. :lol:

But anyways, is he related to Jonathan Quick? If so, I think that we're probably not high on his list.

Judging by each of their hometowns (Hampden, Conn. and Buffalo, NY), I would think that they at least aren't brothers. Also, Jon Quick went to Avon Old Farms and Kevin went to Salisbury Prep. I would think that highly rated brothers would go to the same school (ala the Toews' or Murray's or Parise's).

Got another potential recruit for UND for 2008. Heard it through some older teammates that Jason Gregoire has indicated that he is interested in going the US College route. He is a 1989 born Winnipeger currently playing for the South Winnipeg Blues Junior Team in the MJHL. Jason has 45 points in 50 games (22 goals and 23 assists). He has gained a great deal of respect from some of his older teammates who think he is a fantastic teammate with a great down to earth attitude. That should sound familiar to some UND fans, i.e., Zajac and Toews.

If UND could recruit both Jason and Colin Wilson that would be 2 out of the top 3 1989 born forwards out of Manitoba going to UND. Not a bad recruiting record and it would certainly send a message to Major Junior Hockey in Canada that they may have to start trying a little harder if they expect to keep these top recruits.

Got this from a CC message board, don't know how accurate it is:

The recruiting trail

It is becoming increasingly popular for players being recruited by major college programs to commit during their junior year of high school. Holy Angels center Taylor Matson might be the next local standout to go that route.

Matson (5-10, 170), the leading scorer on the metro's top-ranked team, has drawn interest from the Gophers and is expected to make an unofficial visit to North Dakota soon. He already has made unofficial visits to Colorado College and St. Cloud State, and has drawn interest from Wisconsin.

Matson, who has good speed, has 15 goals and 34 assists in 17 games. One of his linemates is Jay Barriball, who has made a verbal commitment to play for the Gophers in 2007.

Matson said he grew up a Gophers fan, adding, "I'd love to play for the Gophers."

Got this from a CC message board, don't know how accurate it is:

The recruiting trail

It is becoming increasingly popular for players being recruited by major college programs to commit during their junior year of high school. Holy Angels center Taylor Matson might be the next local standout to go that route.

Matson (5-10, 170), the leading scorer on the metro's top-ranked team, has drawn interest from the Gophers and is expected to make an unofficial visit to North Dakota soon. He already has made unofficial visits to Colorado College and St. Cloud State, and has drawn interest from Wisconsin.

Matson, who has good speed, has 15 goals and 34 assists in 17 games. One of his linemates is Jay Barriball, who has made a verbal commitment to play for the Gophers in 2007.

Matson said he grew up a Gophers fan, adding, "I'd love to play for the Gophers."

Seems to me Matson is just "going through the motions." I'd be VERY surprised if Matson committed anywhere else but Minnesota.