SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Chicago Mission U16 defenseman Jordan Schmaltz committed to Wisconsin, UND was also in the running. On a side note, there was another recruit on campus today.

Apparently he's either a freshman or going into his sophomore year. A talented guy no doubt, but that's very young. I'd rather spend my time recruiting an older kid like a junior or even a senior.

And, to be honest, UW should be a very attractive destination for a defenseman. Their style of play really highlights defensive ability.

And, to be honest, UW should be a very attractive destination for a defenseman. Their style of play really highlights defensive ability.

Aside from the Badgers utilizing a trap or LW Lock, how is this different than UND's philosophy?

Aside from the Badgers utilizing a trap or LW Lock, how is this different than UND's philosophy?

Beating a dead horse here again, but.... UND's philosophy is such that it is actually entertaining to watch? That's the primary difference if you discount the LW lock and the trap.

Beating a dead horse here again, but.... UND's philosophy is such that it is actually entertaining to watch? That's the primary difference if you discount the LW lock and the trap.

Redwing77, one could make the argument that UND played the same boring defensive style of play at the end of last season.

Apparently he's either a freshman or going into his sophomore year. A talented guy no doubt, but that's very young. I'd rather spend my time recruiting an older kid like a junior or even a senior.

According to Brad's blog he's a 14 year old 8th Grader!

It's sounds like if he chose to verbal to UND, we wouldn't have turned him down, so it's hard to get too upset with Wisconsin. True, it could come back to bite them, but Garrett Clarke didn't pan out for us either. Bottom line is the NCAA needs to do something about it if they think it is becoming a problem, because it is hard to say no to very talented individuals who want to be a part of your program.

It's sounds like if he chose to verbal to UND, we wouldn't have turned him down, so it's hard to get too upset with Wisconsin. True, it could come back to bite them, but Garrett Clarke didn't pan out for us either. Bottom line is the NCAA needs to do something about it if they think it is becoming a problem, because it is hard to say no to very talented individuals who want to be a part of your program.

Correct...and I'm not upset with Wisconsin. I guess my point was intended more at anyone recruiting and giving offers to kids at such a young age, whether it be UND, Wisconsin, Minn, etc. The kid is too young to drive a car, probably has a 9:30 curfew and has not begun high school, and a school is going to offer him a college athletic scholarship already? Heck, how does he know at this age that he'll want to go to Wisconsin 4 years from now? This trend is not good.

The style of play thing is starting to become a very ignorant statement. Some day people will realize that Wisconsin has the best coach for developing defensemen in college hockey (Osiecki), and has a former NHL coach (Eaves) on the staff. They have turned players like Davis Drewiske (who at one time committed to Bemidji) and Joe Piskula into solid AHL players and in Piskula's case, time in the NHL.

I'm not calling you out specifically RedWing, fans of other teams all say the same thing, and it's funny because most of the time they don't realize how much their own team is trapping. When I watched Gopher games last year they trapped ALL THE TIME. Yet their fan's are the worst at calling out Wisconsin for trapping.

When I watched Gopher games last year they trapped ALL THE TIME.

Yes they did, I think we are in agreement there. I think one could make the argument that UND was a trap team last season as well.

I think the thing that burried them against B.C. was the Sioux went from playing a trap, left wing lock to trying to match B.C.'s speed and got murdered.

NAH, there is only one god and we all know who that is :huh:

and..........ambroz will never attend 1 day of college just like peter mueller

Most importantly, nice to see you back, AZ.

While I am cautious based on his projections, nice pick up for the Gophers. Mueller or no Mueller.

Especially when he chose the M over UND :silly:

Most importantly, nice to see you back, AZ.

While I am cautious based on his projections, nice pick up for the Gophers. Mueller or no Mueller.

Especially when he chose the M over UND :silly:

great verbal without a doubt, kid has skills but i say he never has the opportunity to step foot in blarneys and ends up in the WHL

i guess we will see, these early recruits are hard to get excited about year by year no matter what team you cheer for

Jeebus.... I agree with State of Hockey on something?

Ambroz is just setting up the backup plan like Garrett Clarke did with UND.

I don't think thats a fair comparison. Clarke wasn't drafted by a major junior team when he committed to North Dakota. He is a weasel and told teams he was coming to America for sure and then when he fell to the team he wanted to be drafted by he comes out of the Zamboni tunnel.

Ambroz has already been drafted by Seattle so a commitment doesn't affect where he's going to go in the draft like it did with Clarke. The only way I could see any shadyness with this would be if he used a commitment to Minnesota to negotiate a better contract with Seattle.

I don't think thats a fair comparison. Clarke wasn't drafted by a major junior team when he committed to North Dakota. He is a weasel and told teams he was coming to America for sure and then when he fell to the team he wanted to be drafted by he comes out of the Zamboni tunnel.

Ambroz has already been drafted by Seattle so a commitment doesn't affect where he's going to go in the draft like it did with Clarke. The only way I could see any shadyness with this would be if he used a commitment to Minnesota to negotiate a better contract with Seattle.

Why does it matter when a player gets drafted by major juniors? He either decides to go or stay, that's it.

I think Clarke said what he said because that is what he was advised to say. It would take a bigger commitment (incentive package) to get Clarke out of the NCAA commitment by saying that than it would if he simply said "I'm keeping my options open and UND seems to fit me for collegiate purposes" or saying nothing at all.

Regardless of which came first, chicken or egg, Clarke left his NCAA commitment behind. I believe that Ambroz will do the same.

been with out internet for awhile. Just curious if any studs have come a visited UND laterly or if we are close to landing any.

thanks

Likewise - I like the info in this thread, but would love to hear about a stud UND recruit instead of the Gophers or Badgers - We could really use some top talent on the Oshie - Toews level - it's been a few years.