SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

We had a few on campus here last week, but other than that I haven't heard of anything. The coaches have been out at the Select Festivals so I would imagine they will bring a few players on campus here this summer.

Thanks for the update USA Hockey. Anything new on the player who was close to committing a while back or atleast a hint or two as to who it is?

Anybody hearing any rumblings about any new recruits. It seems like forever since we've heard anything about possible recruits. I still would like to see a Dylan Olsen commitment to UND.

Olsen is on the Canada Summer Under-18 Team roster - one of the few non-CHL/college eligible players in camp.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.cfm/ci_id...nr_id/55921.htm

Anyone heard anything on a possible goalie signing for this upcoming season? I read on Brad's Blog in the comments someone mentioning they heard that there might be a goalie signing and Brad was going to look into it.

I thought UND was on the cusp of signing someone earlier this summer?

I've only ever seen Ambroz play once, but if his point totals are indicative of his talents, a college commitment may be a moot point. I'm sure the NTDP will offer him a position on the 2009 team, but if he's looking like a top five NHL draft pick in 2011, why would he accept? Careerwise, he'd be better off playing in the WHL for two years and getting paid for it.

I think it mostly depends on the kid's confidence and ego. If he pictures himself in the NHL at age 18, he should probably go to the WHL. If he pictures himself in the NHL at age 20, he should probably go to the NTDP and then college. If he pictures himself in the NHL at age 19, he could go either way.

Also, the only reason I can see why his point totals are inflated is because he's fairly physically mature already. He might not stand out as much when the other kids grow and get faster, but that's still to be seen.

Anyway, I'm sure all the top programs are after him, so without some kind of family connection that I don't know about, SCSU is out of the running. :huh: So barring any connection to some school out east, Minnesota would have to be the defacto choice. UND, Sconnie, and Denver will probably push pretty hard though.

Ambroz's linemate from last year is committed to Wisconsin for 2010, so I would think that might give them an inside track as well. It will be interesting to see how he competes against older, USHL talent this year. It will definitely help his development, but may drop him down in regards to WHL drafts if he doesn't have a standout year.

Ambroz's linemate from last year is committed to Wisconsin for 2010, so I would think that might give them an inside track as well. It will be interesting to see how he competes against older, USHL talent this year. It will definitely help his development, but may drop him down in regards to WHL drafts if he doesn't have a standout year.

Ambroz has already been drafted by Seattle in last years WHL draft because the dub draft's a year earlier then the OHL or the QMJHL.

And where did you hear that he is playing in the USHL this season? First I've heard anything about that. He's certainly not ready to contribute to a USHL team at this point. I watched him in St. Cloud at 15's and he was good but a lot of it has to do with how much bigger he is then the kids there. He can physically over power everyone at this point but once kids start growing and getting in to weight programs and hitting growth spurts he's not going to have as big of a physical edge. He also doesn't skate very well so top 5 NHL draft pick seems a bit out of reach in my opinion. Depending on how much he develops in his skating he could definitely end up there but right now I'm not sure you can project him being more then a first round pick.

Now don't get me wrong I thought he was one of the best players there but not the best forward I saw. I like that he plays pissed off and with and attitude. He also finished well from what I saw and just looking at his numbers they say the same thing.

If he goes to college, which I haven't seen anything to suggest that he isn't besides being drafted by Seattle in the dub in May, (and I've heard nothing to suggest he's considering that route) it's probably going to be a North Dakota/Minnesota battle (according to Hammy) with Wisconsin possibly in the mix (It's only natural, they locked up his teamate which was already noted).

The rumor that Ambroz is going to play full time in the USHL next year was reported on 2 blogs that I read, they may be using each other as sources, but either way:

http://theworldofjuniorhockey.blogspot.com/

http://www.areavoices.com/force/

I knew Omaha had him protected, so that was the easy part. The first time I heard about him playing "full-time" in the USHL was from Hammy (Gopher Blog) on the Minnesota high school hockey message board. I think I mentioned that on hfboards, which is the "rumor" that the WOJH Blog was referring to. Area Voices could be referring to any or all of the above as their source.

So, basically, it's Omaha's protected list and Hammy's info... that's it.

I knew Omaha had him protected, so that was the easy part. The first time I heard about him playing "full-time" in the USHL was from Hammy (Gopher Blog) on the Minnesota high school hockey message board. I think I mentioned that on hfboards, which is the "rumor" that the WOJH Blog was referring to. Area Voices could be referring to any or all of the above as their source.

So, basically, it's Omaha's protected list and Hammy's info... that's it.

Thanks for the info. I still think he should play for New Praugue for this season and go for a State Title with Lapic. They have a good opportunity at the A level. He can go to the USHL for 2 more seasons after this or play with the NTDP for 2 more seasons after this if he wants.

Please correct me if I do not have the correct understanding of what the NTDP does for players but...

If Ambroz goes NTDP, we should expect a shart dropoff in offensive production as the NTDP coaches work on Ambroz' weaknesses, perhaps more defensive forward play, skating, or whatever weaknesses he has.

Didn't Kristo's offensive production drop drastically between Minnesota high school and the NTDP?

Am I completely off?

Please correct me if I do not have the correct understanding of what the NTDP does for players but...

If Ambroz goes NTDP, we should expect a shart dropoff in offensive production as the NTDP coaches work on Ambroz' weaknesses, perhaps more defensive forward play, skating, or whatever weaknesses he has.

Didn't Kristo's offensive production drop drastically between Minnesota high school and the NTDP?

Am I completely off?

Are you talking about points? I think every kid's points dropped off their first year in the NTDP, but that's because of the level of competition they were facing.

Are you talking about points? I think every kid's points dropped off their first year in the NTDP, but that's because of the level of competition they were facing.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I also thought style of play changed. I remember reading about Nick Mattson's game drastically changing since joining the NTDP U17 team.

That's why I asked for clarification.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I also thought style of play changed. I remember reading about Nick Mattson's game drastically changing since joining the NTDP U17 team.

That's why I asked for clarification.

I think Mattson's style of play changed, again, because of the level of competition he was facing, not necessarily 100% driven by the NTDP coaches. Some changes are initiated by the players themselves.

For good or bad, one of the major things the NTDP looks for in recruits is potential. That is, they may or may not be dominant at the level they're currently playing at, but they have the tools to succeed at an international young adult level. That being said, they could have been dominant at their previous level (pointswise), but the NTDP didn't recruit them with that role in mind. Consequntly, some players who DIDN'T dominate pointswise will become the leading scorers for the NTDP, while others who DID dominate pointswise will become middle of the pack on the stat sheet.

Regardless, I think Ambroz will probably get an invite, though not every kid who led the Select 15 or Select 16 camps has. The bigger question is how both he and the NTDP might shape his personal skill set. Will he be a scorer, will he be a defensive forward, or will he become a true all-purpose superstar?

I think Mattson's style of play changed, again, because of the level of competition he was facing, not necessarily 100% driven by the NTDP coaches. Some changes are initiated by the players themselves.

For good or bad, one of the major things the NTDP looks for in recruits is potential. That is, they may or may not be dominant at the level they're currently playing at, but they have the tools to succeed at an international young adult level. That being said, they could have been dominant at their previous level (pointswise), but the NTDP didn't recruit them with that role in mind. Consequntly, some players who DIDN'T dominate pointswise will become the leading scorers for the NTDP, while others who DID dominate pointswise will become middle of the pack on the stat sheet.

Regardless, I think Ambroz will probably get an invite, though not every kid who led the Select 15 or Select 16 camps has. The bigger question is how both he and the NTDP might shape his personal skill set. Will he be a scorer, will he be a defensive forward, or will he become a true all-purpose superstar?

Honestly he reminds me a lot of Ryan Flynn.