SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Travis Erstad, who we apparently recruited and came down to us and UW, decided against playing another year of juniors and will now go play D-III at UW-Stout.

WCHA Hockey Blog

This is an interesting situation. One would assume Erstad might have a future in pro hockey, seeing he was a D1 recruit and a St. Louis Blues draft pick.

Of all the options, it would seem playing DIII isn't a great one for getting to the pros. Has he decided his future does not include pro hockey?

This is an interesting situation. One would assume Erstad might have a future in pro hockey, seeing he was a D1 recruit and a St. Louis Blues draft pick.

Of all the options, it would seem playing DIII isn't a great one for getting to the pros. Has he decided his future does not include pro hockey?

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. This kid had a scholarship to Wisconsin. Was recruited by other high end WCHA teams like North Dakota. Was a 4th round draft pick. And is playing for one of the best teams in the USHL. There is more to this story than just him deciding he wanted to play for his hometown D-III team. This is single handedly, the worst hockey decision I've ever heard of.

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. This kid had a scholarship to Wisconsin. Was recruited by other high end WCHA teams like North Dakota. Was a 4th round draft pick. And is playing for one of the best teams in the USHL. There is more to this story than just him deciding he wanted to play for his hometown D-III team. This is single handedly, the worst hockey decision I've ever heard of.

One can only guess, but maybe it is more of a life decision for him rather than a hockey decision. He would have to sit out a year should he change his mind, wouldn't he?

One can only guess, but maybe it is more of a life decision for him rather than a hockey decision. He would have to sit out a year should he change his mind, wouldn't he?

Seems like that to me. It's just not often that you see someone like Erstad do something like that. Maybe he really hated juniors and UW didn't want him this year? It's not exactly uncommon.

However, I just find it ridiculously retarded of him if he thinks that choosing DIII will give him the same opportunity to play in the pros that DI would have. I can only name two players in recent history that have made it to the NHL on a regular basis that played DII/DIII (Joel Otto of BSU and Keith Aucoin of some DIII college). There may be a few others, but it appears to me that Travis has simply decided not to play competitive hockey any longer.

If I were St. Louis, I'd be wondering if Travis cared about hockey any longer. Or maybe they can find a retarded GM to trade his rights to for a 6th or 7th round draft pick?

Seems like that to me. It's just not often that you see someone like Erstad do something like that. Maybe he really hated juniors and UW didn't want him this year? It's not exactly uncommon.

However, I just find it ridiculously retarded of him if he thinks that choosing DIII will give him the same opportunity to play in the pros that DI would have. I can only name two players in recent history that have made it to the NHL on a regular basis that played DII/DIII (Joel Otto of BSU and Keith Aucoin of some DIII college). There may be a few others, but it appears to me that Travis has simply decided not to play competitive hockey any longer.

If I were St. Louis, I'd be wondering if Travis cared about hockey any longer. Or maybe they can find a retarded GM to trade his rights to for a 6th or 7th round draft pick?

If he really hated juniors that bad, and wanted to play college, he could have called almost any mid level D-1 team in the nation and they would have taken him this season.

It's not unheard of to make it from D-III but it's rare obviously. Other then the names you listed I can only think of Alex Hicks from UW-Eau Claire.

If he really hated juniors that bad, and wanted to play college, he could have called almost any mid level D-1 team in the nation and they would have taken him this season.

It's not unheard of to make it from D-III but it's rare obviously. Other then the names you listed I can only think of Alex Hicks from UW-Eau Claire.

Yeah, but the article cited how closeness to home was a factor... Then again... know playing at Mankato would suck right? :lol: But seriously, MSUM and Madison are both about 3 hours from Eau Claire. Guess that leaves UMN. I don't think UMN was interested.

Seriously, Erstad made the decision because he was homesick and wanted to live near family. He also has basically set himself on a path that will make his path to the NHL very VERY difficult because it is almost certain that the Blues won't sign him unless he transfers to a DI school or somehow is able to crack an MJ roster.

He made a life decision and that decision, to me, is that hockey isn't going to be his chosen career. Takes balls, imo, to turn down a 6+ figure salary for a 5 figure salary, especially when it will undoubtedly be a low 5 figure salary (less than $50k a year).

Yeah, but the article cited how closeness to home was a factor... Then again... know playing at Mankato would suck right? :lol: But seriously, MSUM and Madison are both about 3 hours from Eau Claire. Guess that leaves UMN. I don't think UMN was interested.

Seriously, Erstad made the decision because he was homesick and wanted to live near family. He also has basically set himself on a path that will make his path to the NHL very VERY difficult because it is almost certain that the Blues won't sign him unless he transfers to a DI school or somehow is able to crack an MJ roster.

He made a life decision and that decision, to me, is that hockey isn't going to be his chosen career. Takes balls, imo, to turn down a 6+ figure salary for a 5 figure salary, especially when it will undoubtedly be a low 5 figure salary (less than $50k a year).

I don't think he is necessarily turning down a 6+ figure salary, keep in mind that most of these guys still play in the bus leagues. Not going to judge him to much, but I agree that he probably made a decision beyond hockey. There's nothing wrong with that, there's more to life than hockey (or athletics in general).

I was just replying to your comment that maybe he really hated juniors with my post. And the homesick thing is a bit of a cop out if you ask me. He finished high school at Stevens Point, but he's from Madison. I'm not sure the exact year he moved to Stevens Point but he lived the majority of his life in Madison.

He should be a good pick up for the Sioux. Sounds like he is a player that just keeps getting better and better. We don't get too many recruits from my neck of the woods. I can't remember the last player the Sioux got from the Duluth-Iron Range area.

Remember Kevin Rappana and Jace Reed? That was a while ago. Anyone after that?

How about Scott Sandelin?

There's plenty of Gopher tradition on the Range - even when the 'Dogs were good in the '80s it was still a struggle for them to win recruiting battles with UMTC.

I know of Scotty and Mickey Krampotich because they are from my hometown. But the other two mentioned I don't know.

Yeah there is definitely Gopher tradition on the Range as it's quite hard to find more than a few fans of the Dogs. Unless you're in Duluth, you're not going to come across a whole lot of Dogs fans.