SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I don't always agree with Rachel Blount, and she's never been a real fan of the Sioux moniker, but she seems to box the issue up pretty well.

http://www.startribu.../139773373.html

Ha! Laughable Twin Citian elitist tripe, it's condescension and divisiveness further damaging to the retirement cause. I would think Rachel would be cheerleading the pro-nickname effort in hopes that UND's athletics are rendered impotent. It is the only way the Gophers can escape future beatings.

And, there will most certainly be beatings.

taz

• Upvote 1

"Simply put, it will possibly diminish our hockey program slowly over time. In my opinion, it would be extremely damaging to all of our other sports on campus in the near future.'' -- Dave Hakstol, speaking about what happens if the moniker is kept

I think that is all we need to see.

But ... but ... we were told this wouldn't happen, and all of the D1 schools would just ignore the NC$$'s stupid rules. :whistling:

But I thought Rob Port told us that all of this stuff was just a bluff and a bunch of hot air? WTF?

• Upvote 1

I am confused by the comment of Blount "They still think they can bully the NCAA, which is laughable."

I beg to differ that it is the other way around. The NCAA thinks and knows they can bully us. I agree the nickname needs to be retired in order for our athletic teams to survive.

Also in all of this the likes of Iowa, MN, WI and their holier than thou attitudes. Would they really not play football or another sport against say Florida State? Would their holier than thou consciences allow them to do that. $$$$ i think we know that answer to this. Hypocrisy at its highest. This whole thing has turned into PC run way to far amok.

I can see why people want to stick it to the NCAA. I wish UND could give the middle finger to those schools like UM, WI and Iowa because at the end of the day it isn't about integrity it is about the mighty dollar.

I don't always agree with Rachel Blount, and she's never been a real fan of the Sioux moniker, but she seems to box the issue up pretty well.

Have to agree Rachel Blount summed up the issue pretty well. The NCAA has shown it's not about to be moved. It's got the muscle and it knows it. I hate to see one of the best nicknames in the world go. However, sadly enough, the issue has the potential to severely damage our institution, academically as well as athletically. The wrangling has gone on long enough. It doesn't make sense to try to make it as a D-1 independent. The option of going NAIA is simply not an option. This is one that Goliath is going to win. I simply don't see a shepherd boy over the horizon on this one. Sorry.

Have to agree Rachel Blount summed up the issue pretty well. The NCAA has shown it's not about to be moved. It's got the muscle and it knows it. I hate to see one of the best nicknames in the world go. However, sadly enough, the issue has the potential to severely damage our institution, academically as well as athletically. The wrangling has gone on long enough. It doesn't make sense to try to make it as a D-1 independent. The option of going NAIA is simply not an option. This is one that Goliath is going to win. I simply don't see a shepherd boy over the horizon on this one. Sorry.

The lawsuit is the only hope. NCAA won't care if it's in the ND constituion.

the statement she makes that really gave me pause:

...put the nickname issue on the ballot for the November election as a constitutional amendment.

That is not a joke. ...

this whole fight among ourselves is really being looked at as a joke by the rest of the country. I don't like reading statements like that, even from Twin Cities writers.

Benny... there are so few teams with native american nicknames, it will be difficult to come up with a list of schools who have announced that they will no longer play teams with native american nicknames, I just don't know how you can list the schools that won't play Alcorn State because of their nickname. Really, what other measure is there besides the list of schools (MN, WI, IA) that have officially announced they won't play UND?

"Anybody hanging their hat on a successful outcome to the SL litigation would probably have better luck playing the Powerball."

Well for sure you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or get everyone all worked up with Fear & what could be - SL odds are not as bad as Powerball or not trying at all

"Anybody hanging their hat on a successful outcome to the SL litigation would probably have better luck playing the Powerball."

Well for sure you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or get everyone all worked up with Fear & what could be - SL odds are not as bad as Powerball or not trying at all

The general public has absolutely no influence on a lawsuit. You keep talking like Spirit Lake would have a better chance to win if everyone got behind them. That isn't how trials work. Each side will present evidence. Then either the judge or a jury will make a decision. It doesn't matter whether we want Spirit Lake to win or not. The odds of Spirit Lake winning are not good, and the University can't put any faith in that success. That's why it is time to move on now rather than keeping the name around until the end of the lawsuit.

the statement she makes that really gave me pause:

this whole fight among ourselves is really being looked at as a joke by the rest of the country. I don't like reading statements like that, even from Twin Cities writers.

Thing is, and forgive me, but I think it's kind of a joke too. Who puts in their constitution what the nickname for a University's sports name should be? Is that really a proper use of the state's constitution?
  • Upvote 1

Anyone else find it ironic that the StarTribune article written by Rachel Blount was posted today, along with the UMD article regarding the racist/hostile chants. Weird, right? :whistling: I mean, let' see UND played Duluth two weeks ago and that article couldn't have come out any earlier?

Who's controlling the media people? Who's buying into it?

Putting too much thought into it? Probably, but I live to question things.

"Anybody hanging their hat on a successful outcome to the SL litigation would probably have better luck playing the Powerball." Well for sure you can't win if you don't buy a ticket or get everyone all worked up with Fear & what could be - SL odds are not as bad as Powerball or not trying at all

You really need to quit huffing paint.

Anyone else find it ironic that the StarTribune article written by Rachel Blount was posted today, along with the UMD article regarding the racist/hostile chants. Weird, right? :whistling: I mean, let' see UND played Duluth two weeks ago and that article couldn't have come out any earlier?

Who's controlling the media people? Who's buying into it?

Putting too much thought into it? Probably, but I live to question things.

everyone (well, not quite everyone) was clamoring for national media stories on the arbitrary NCAA policy. well, it is in the national press now, Blount's piece was picked up all across the country. it is not good press for UND or the Fighting Sioux nickname.

we better watch out what we ask for, because we just might get it. hate to see it go, but it is time for UND to move on...