SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no point to pondering (possible, if necessary) replacement names until the NCAA defines the "rules of engagement".

Until rules as to what is and "is not" ??? acceptable are in place don't waste your time.

PS - "Sundogs" is the name normally proposed by the folks that want the "Sioux" name gone. That alone disqualifies it from consideration.

PS - "Sundogs" is the name normally proposed by the folks that want the "Sioux" name gone. That alone disqualifies it from consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Besides that, my dog Sunny would be offended. ???

Ryan Bakken weighs in with his name suggestion in today's Herald.

In the worst case scenario that UND feels it needs to drop the name in order to host football and basketball playoff games, how about "officially" dropping the Fighting Sioux name, and not have any replacement. Going about trying to pick a different name would be a disaster, look at Marquette. Just be North Dakota, and we're here to kick your *ss. The fans can carry on the name themselves, but as far as the U is concerned, they don't have a name. If the public address announcer leaves a pause after announcing "Here comes the University of North Dakota", and the crowd screams out "Fighting Sioux", what is UND to do about it?

It is quite funny that the N$AA will insist the the REA cover up all logos in the arena. What is it to do about 10,000 fans in the stands, all with a Sioux logo on their shirts?

In the worst case scenario that UND feels it needs to drop the name in order to host football and basketball playoff games, how about "officially" dropping the Fighting Sioux name, and not have any replacement.  Going about trying to pick a different name would be a disaster, look at Marquette.  Just be North Dakota, and we're here to kick your *ss.  The fans can carry on the name themselves, but as far as the U is concerned, they don't have a name.  If the public address announcer leaves a pause after announcing "Here comes the University of North Dakota", and the crowd screams out "Fighting Sioux", what is UND to do about it?   

It is quite funny that the N$AA will insist the the REA cover up all logos in the arena.  What is it to do about 10,000 fans in the stands, all with a Sioux logo on their shirts?

I like it.

Just be North Dakota, and we're here to kick your *ss.  The fans can carry on the name themselves, but as far as the U is concerned, they don't have a name. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My thoughts exactly. Then the NCAA wouldn't get a piece of the merchandising pie from the "unofficial" apparel either.

My thoughts exactly.  Then the NCAA wouldn't get a piece of the merchandising pie from the "unofficial" apparel either.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. UND could sell its copyrights on everthing "Fighting Sioux", to some third party that just might donate all profits back to the athletic department.

As painful and embarrassing as it is to admit, I must agree with engelbunny.

Do NOT pick a new name. If the name must be dropped to retain playoff advantage, then just be North Dakota. Period. Let the students, fans and alumni carry on the Fighting Sioux name unofficially. I'm sorry, but there is simply NO other team name that fits this program. Let the other schools throw away their traditions. Not this. Never.

Not surprisingly, I am disgusted by the whole thing. It is embarrassing for our country that this is even an issue worthy of news print and TV time. I wonder how our best in uniform think about the fact that while they are sniffing out IED's and suicide bombers, there are muffinheaded ninnys in suits wringing their hands over what a college athletic team calls itself. For cryse sake, is this really what we've become as Americans?

If I were a young Native American Taz Boy, and I saw what my leaders were spending their time on, protesting names of sports teams, travelling, doing on-camera interviews and such, I would be furious. I would want to know exactly how this endeavor benefits me personally as an Indian. I would ask, is this all that's important to them? A name on a team jersey? Or, is it a poser cause that gets Bellecourt airtime? Shameful.

I strongly urge the Sioux faithful to stick to their guns on this. We know the vast majority of the alumni, students, faculty and general public support the name. We know that the vast majority of Native Americans in this country either support usage of the nicknames or don't care. We know that the NCAA is completely overstepping their power of oversight to appease a small group of whiney grandstanders. And, we know that North Dakota and the Fighting Sioux is something very special to all of us. The NCAA would have us painted as racist, insensitive, hostile, and degrading. Rather, we are proud. We honor the name. We honor those for which it stands. They were mighty warriors to the end.

Fight On Sioux.

taz

Though I support the nickname and think UND should do whatever it can to fight this dictated political correctness, my support has kind of the taken the opposite path of PCM -- in 2000 I was in the fight to death for principle camp, whereas if it remains punitive, my principle may not extend to actually giving up home football playoff games. That said:

It's not really clear why schools' sports teams need a nickname / mascot.

Agreeing with engelbunny/Taz (though, as I explained, from a slightly different viewpoint), I wouldn't have a problem with the sports teams just being called the University of North Dakota. "Here comes North Dakota". "Goal, North Dakota". I prefer that to "Goal, Fighting Green". A nicer logo than the circa 2000 "North Dakota" jerseys would be required, but that's certainly doable.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, Dakota itself is ironically "abusive" under the new standard, but such monikers are embedded in the team names of at least half the state schools in the West.

In the case of a name change, no nickname would be my first choice also. I just think bringing in a new name, although it would take over in a few years would seem cheesy at the beginning. I was trying to think of a school without a nickname but could not.

Question: Would there be a problem with the REA still having the Indian head logos in it and visible, as long as UND was not officially recognizing it as a logo? I would think so, as it is not owned by UND. Same with the Alerus?

In the case of a name change, no nickname would be my first choice also.  I just think bringing in a new name, although it would take over in a few years would seem cheesy at the beginning.  I was trying to think of a school without a nickname but could not. 

Question: Would there be a problem with the REA still having the Indian head logos in it and visible, as long as UND was not officially recognizing it as a logo?  I would think so, as it is not owned by UND.  Same with the Alerus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

REA could still use the logo as a "building logo" and get away with it that way. There is nothing that states host institutions have to change "building logos" in order to host playoff games.

In the case of a name change, no nickname would be my first choice also.  I just think bringing in a new name, although it would take over in a few years would seem cheesy at the beginning.  I was trying to think of a school without a nickname but could not. 

Question: Would there be a problem with the REA still having the Indian head logos in it and visible, as long as UND was not officially recognizing it as a logo?  I would think so, as it is not owned by UND.  Same with the Alerus?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I completely agree. "Goal North Dakota!" is just fine with me. Also, REA is not owned by UND, but don't think it matters. At Ohio State arena (Value City Arena) the NCAA had EVERYTHING covered up, no ads, no nothin....

If we have to change, NO New Mascot is my choice. Let the Boosters have the licensing, and the cash for the continuing sale of the jerseys that will flood the arena/stadium/dome. The NCAA can't take that away from the fans, although they may try....Go Fighting Sioux!

"I completely agree. "Goal North Dakota!" is just fine with me. Also, REA is not owned by UND, but don't think it matters. At Ohio State arena (Value City Arena) the NCAA had EVERYTHING covered up, no ads, no nothin...."

Pretty sure you're right--for NCAA events, they have final say, regardless of public or private arena...

I am starting to like the idea of the Sioux becoming simply "North Dakota". You and I all know that fans, especially if no lame, substitute nickname/logo is adopted, will continue to call the team the Sioux. Fans will continue to wear their Sioux jerseys, etc. and finish the Star Spangled Banner if "Sioux". The national anthem tradition will grow into something of epic proportion, and the Sioux faithful's continued use of the Sioux nickname, even after the University drops it, will become the biggest nudge, nudge, wink, wink middle finger the NCAA has ever had hoisted in its direction. :D

As to logos in The Ralph: I think the NCAA covers logos of products which do not pay them licensing fees, or official sponsors, or alcoholic beverages (as if college students don't know what that is! :0 ). If the University drops the Fighting Sioux nickname/logo, and the arena retains it (as one would expect) I would guess the NCAA will attempt to cover these logos.