SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

Again.....I'm not going to answer that over and over and over....go check out www.UND.edu/org/bridges, it will clear things up for you, but thanks for asking. I don't agree with everything that is said there, but they do have many many valid points pertaining this issue. Thanks for asking though. It would be quicker to do it this way rather than typing for the next couple hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why is the use of American Indian people as mascots and symbols offensive?

The continued use of American Indian people as mascots, logos, and symbols is wrong. It denies a race of people the basic right of respect. By tolerating the use of demeaning stereotypes, we desensitize and objectify people. When using a race of people as nothing more than mascots and symbols, we are teaching the next generation of non-Indian children that it is okay to participate in culturally abusive behavior.

Where is the stereotype in UND using this name? How is your basic right of respect being denied? Please explain.

I believe that UND choosing to use the name "fighting sioux" goes far beyond using it "for nothing more than mascots and symbols" IMO, if our nickname was all about those things, why change the Flickertails name? Please explain.

Also, I could not find anything on that website that explaining the Sioux Falls, etc question I asked above. Could you please explain these things to me. Thanks.

Again, no disrespect. I am simply trying to see your viewpoint and that website does not answer my questions.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The continued use of American Indian people as mascots, logos, and symbols is wrong. It denies a race of people the basic right of respect. By tolerating the use of demeaning stereotypes, we desensitize and objectify people. When using a race of people as nothing more than mascots and symbols, we are teaching the next generation of non-Indian children that it is okay to participate in culturally abusive behavior.

GrahamKracker,

Where is the stereotype in UND using this name? How is your basic right of respect being denied? Please explain.

I believe that UND choosing to use the name "fighting sioux" goes far beyond using it "for nothing more than mascots and symbols" IMO, if our nickname was all about those things, why change the Flickertails name? Please explain.

Also, I could not find anything on that website that explaining the Sioux Falls, etc question I asked above. Could you please explain these things to me. Thanks.

Again, no disrespect. I am simply trying to see your viewpoint and that website does not answer my questions.

Pleas don't feel sorry for me, because I have no feelings for you.  I am proud of where I came from.  I was only pointing out that my parents didn't have the $$$ to support me during my college education, but yet I'm here.

Too late, Punkin', I feel sorry for you on so many different levels. You're personal attacks only point out how much in need you are of my sympathy. And not because of the Sioux name.

You keep pointing out that your parents can't support you during your college education as if every non NA's parents can. Once again, Toots, your wrong. Those students (my kids) who are lucky enough to get financial help for their education likely have parents who worked their a$$s off to get to a financial place in their lives to be able to help their children with their education costs. Others (me) have (had) parents who could only support them with encouragement, love, and pride. Vaya con Dios (or whoever your higher power is).

I was only pointing out that my parents didn't have the $$$ to support me during my college education, but yet I'm here. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me, that is the problem. Too many American Indian families do not have the $$$ to provide their children with an education. I said long ago that when the new arena was being built, the best thing that American Indian leaders could have done would have been to sit down with Englestead and figured out a way to include schlorship programs as part of his gift. Instead, they rallied around changing the name and wasted time holding protests.

How's this for irony? Based upon the pass the NCAA has given to San Diego State and to a dozen or so colleges still known as "Warriors" or "Braves," the Fighting Sioux could escape application of the ruling by calling themselves the "University of North Dakota Brave Warriors" and substituing an Aztec-styled logo for the one designed by Brien. Extinct Indian tribes merit no protection, according to NCAA logic, and the names "Braves" and "Warriors" are okey-dokey.

How's this for irony?  Based upon the pass the NCAA has given to San Diego State and to  a dozen or so colleges still known as "Warriors" or "Braves,"  the Fighting Sioux could escape application of the ruling by calling themselves the "University of North Dakota Brave Warriors" and substituing an Aztec-styled logo for the one designed by Brien.  Extinct Indian tribes merit no protection, according to NCAA logic, and the names "Braves" and "Warriors" are okey-dokey.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what would reallly be ironic? If Southeastern Oklahoma State said it would abandon all the American Indian imagery it uses, but keep its "Savages" nickname. The NCAA would be in a real pickle then because:

A. As with "warriors," the word "savages" doesn't apply to any particular race.

B. SEOSU has a higher American Indian enrollment than NC-Pembroke.

C. SEOSU currently has no American Indian mascot or logo.

D. With no references to American Indians, no tribal approval is necessary.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the school with the nickname that everyone agrees is the most offensive gets to keep its name? :glare:

GrahamKracker,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Graham Kracker,

Since you haven't responded to any of my questions, and you have posted elsewhere in the forums, should I assume you don't have the answers to my questions? Or perhaps don't want to answer?

It makes it hard to find you credible when you do not respond to simple questions.

How about the Fighting Sues? Maybe not, lawyers or Susans might be offended?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang straight. I have long said it. "The Fighting Sue." Logo could be some big old battle axe with a cigarette hanging from her lips, her hair up in curlers, and swinging a cast iron frying pan in a menacing way. Plenty of models for those dere brand of women down here in the Twin Cities.

I will be shocked and stunned if the University ever cows to the polically correct crowd, and the NCAA, now. Nothing like some fighting words to get Dr. K fighting. Whipping the NCAA may become his best and most lasting legacy.

"The Fighting Sue."  Logo could be some big old battle axe with a cigarette hanging from her lips, her hair up in curlers, and swinging a cast iron frying pan in a menacing way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think a logo as you've described can only be labeled as "hostile and abusive", at least to me. (Although it does bear a striking resemblance to a former girlfriend, who, coincidentally, is named Sue!) :glare:

I am starting to like the idea of the Sioux becoming simply "North Dakota". You and I all know that fans, especially if no lame, substitute nickname/logo is adopted, will continue to call the team the Sioux. Fans will continue to wear their Sioux jerseys, etc. and finish the Star Spangled Banner if "Sioux". The national anthem tradition will grow into something of epic proportion, and the Sioux faithful's continued use of the Sioux nickname, even after the University drops it, will become the biggest nudge, nudge, wink, wink middle finger the NCAA has ever had hoisted in its direction.

I couldn't disagree more. Marquette was the Warriors for quite a long time. Dwayne Wade said this past summer that he will always be a "Golden Eagle." Change the nickname, wait a few years, and every new fan coming into the arena forgets the past.

How many Houston Texans fans still long for Earl Campbell and the Oilers? Indianapolis has been the Colts for what seems like forever, yet I still recall them being from Baltimore. Give it 10 or 20 years and when old-timers are gone, newcomers won't even remember the days of the Fighting Sioux.