SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that most do not want to see the name change, myself included. But if it should, what would be some good replacements?

I am not from Larimore but I tend to like the Polar Bears.

What are your ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

North Stars

The "Gold" ... I don't think Marquette is using it anymore.

Fightin' Whities ... I would not be offended, and "Everything's goin' to be all white".

Flatlanders ... go with the obvious.

Warriors ... use a Northern European male ... maybe an Amazon female for the XX set.

Purse swinging Nancys ... goes with the official colors of green and pink, and creates a bond with the NC$$.

Then again, some marketing tool would probably come up with "The Frost", "The Tundra", "The Windchill", "The Flash" "Flyers" "Rockets" ... or something equally stupid.

It has to be a color (nearer violet than red) or (non-destructive) weather phenomenon so as not to offend anyone.

"Red" is too angry, "Green" is taken, "Pink" would rile the McCarthyists against us, and "White", though evocative of N.D. 9mos of the year, is obviously racist.

Though it makes you think of N.D., "blizzard" sounds like an MLS team (apologies if it is one).

"Ice Storm" is properly ferocious, though people would just abbreviate it "storm", which sounds like a WNBA team (apologies if it is one).

"Frozen Tundra" makes me think of N.D., and the treeless tundra sets us up for a future rivalry with the evil pine tree of Stanford.

"Abominable snowmen" just doesn't fit in chants, though broadcasters would undoubtedly use "yeti" as slang. We could even bring back the bleacher creature after dipping him in white paint. Of course, two years after adopting the name, an abominable snowman would be discovered, taught English, and integrated into society, such that his first English words would be a demand that UND quit using his name.

From the FOX 9:00 news:

One possible replacement name being thrown around (they did not state by whom) is 'Sundogs'.  ???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why on Earth is Fox 9:00 news talking about a possible replacement nickname? We still haven't received any word from UND officials since the "We don't know what he!! is going on and need to digest it" statement they released last Friday. How could anybody with any authority whatsoever be talking about a replacement name already?