SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

I am starting to like the idea of the Sioux becoming simply "North Dakota". You and I all know that fans, especially if no lame, substitute nickname/logo is adopted, will continue to call the team the Sioux. Fans will continue to wear their Sioux jerseys, etc. and finish the Star Spangled Banner if "Sioux". The national anthem tradition will grow into something of epic proportion, and the Sioux faithful's continued use of the Sioux nickname, even after the University drops it, will become the biggest nudge, nudge, wink, wink middle finger the NCAA has ever had hoisted in its direction.

I agree. I think the "Fighting Sioux" tradition would perhaps grow even stronger, more majestic-- much like the hockey facility itself. :D

Still, my preference obviously is to officially be the UND Fighting Sioux. But, I think the worst case scenario should be no nickname at all. Very unique and definitely something that would become well-known around the country. How a little school on the prairie gave a little back to the NCAA.

I would be extremely sad to see that beautiful logo by Bennet Brien be taken off our hockey jerseys. But, perhaps a Penn State-type simplistic deep green with subtle UND text might be cool. Then, in the stands, the massess bring all they got with the logo proudly and prominantly on display.

I think there could be ways around the Arena-logo issue as well. Certainly, the arena was built before this silly ruling. Might be difficult for the NCAA to mandate the destruction of this monument, which would run in the millions of $$. An agreement must be made that states the REA stands as is, with historical significance. The school no longer officially uses the Fighting Sioux name, but everything else beyond the athletic department's control is free to do so.

I think there has to be a clever, unique solution to this issue... if in fact one is actually required. Have not yet seen the fine print from the blowhards at the NCAA Executive Committee.

If UND selects an alternate nickname, then they have completely caved. Aside from the obvious negative reaction from alumni and fans, it would be a huge failure to support PC run amok. Keep it green, UND. Keep it green.

taz

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the worst case scenario that UND feels it needs to drop the name in order to host football and basketball playoff games, how about "officially" dropping the Fighting Sioux name, and not have any replacement.  Going about trying to pick a different name would be a disaster, look at Marquette.  Just be North Dakota, and we're here to kick your *ss.  The fans can carry on the name themselves, but as far as the U is concerned, they don't have a name.  If the public address announcer leaves a pause after announcing "Here comes the University of North Dakota", and the crowd screams out "Fighting Sioux", what is UND to do about it?   

It is quite funny that the N$AA will insist the the REA cover up all logos in the arena.  What is it to do about 10,000 fans in the stands, all with a Sioux logo on their shirts?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hell yeah, it would be all of the more of the reason as to why Jim needs to do a shirt for SS.com, and he can keep all the profets from it just to make sure that the NCAA doesn't get their grubby greedy hands on it. :D

As painful and embarrassing as it is to admit, I must agree with engelbunny.

taz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch! Why must you hurt me so, great Taz.

Anyway, I have the perfect new nickname should the University decide that the cost of keeping the Fighting Sioux name outweighs the benefits. (bigmrg74 alluded to it in his post promoting the "middle finger, but this goes one better). There is the benefit of keeping the "soo" phonetic, as well as having the perfect of twist of sticking it to the N$AA. It is call the Su-fi. Developed by the legendary comedic talent of Dane Cook. It even has it's own logo.

Fo a complete explanation, see the following link: (Warning! By clicking on this link you agree not to be offended by spectacularly offensive language. If you are under 18, stay clear. If you are over 50, consult a physician. If your login name is "grahamkracker", develop a sense of humor.)

Dane Cook's Su-Fi

Go Sioux! Taz Sucks.

I like the Sons of Norway myself.

Instead of painting the face of a Sioux on the Goalie mask, we could just make it see-thru so you can see the "chances are very very good that he's not a minority" goalie underneath.

How about the Fighting Ralph's? Then we could all dress up like back-up goalies with swastika t-shirts on underneath our hockey jerseys!!

Or we can keep it more local. Something to do w/ the Sugar Beets.....or Potatoes....or the Mosquitoes.....

I know those don't convey the Strength and Courage and Fortitude of my people, but at least we would be keeping it real.

(Its a joke. ha ha.)

I like the Sons of Norway myself.

Instead of painting the face of a Sioux on the Goalie mask, we could just make it see-thru so you can see the "chances are very very good that he's not a minority" goalie underneath. 

How about the Fighting Ralph's?  Then we could all dress up like back-up goalies with swastika t-shirts on underneath our hockey jerseys!!

Or we can keep it more local.  Something to do w/ the Sugar Beets.....or Potatoes....or the Mosquitoes.....

I know those don't convey the Strength and Courage and Fortitude of my people,  but at least we would be keeping it real. 

(Its a joke.  ha ha.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not the Micks, Spics, Wops, Polacks, Bohunks, etc? :D Because those 'nicknames' were created to insult the ethnic groups to whom they refer. Your proud of the Sioux name, we're proud of the Sioux name. We're gonna keep it. :0

Why aren't you proud of UND using the Sioux name? You are proud to use it to refer to yourself, but not proud when UND uses it to refer to themselves. Why not? Because UND are not Native Americans? I'm not asking for part of this argument, I'm honestly curious. You've probably said it before and I missed it or forgotten.

the SIOUX are not proud of you using it.  I have documents to prove that.  Get over it and buy up all the gear you can, because this mascot/logo will be history soon enough.

Last time I did, I had to wait for the clerk to wait on the Native Americans who were in front of me in line. I had to wait a week to get a Sioux jersey in my son's size because they bought the last one. He got his b'day present a little late. No big deal. I'm not one to begrudge a Sioux Sioux fan a jersey. :D

i myself am Native American and i have absolutly no problem with the name and i am actually proud of the name...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but don't you realize you are not allowed to have your own opinion? Kracker is the only one who can speak for Native Americans.

True true true.....unfortunately your opinion is not that of the majority of the Sioux Nation.  I know Indians who could care less what the name is, and I also know some who feel "honored" by the name.  That's really sad, because when you are truly "honored" by your people, you will know what that feels like and you will understand that what this UND society considers "honor" and what true "honor" is are completely different animals. 

Ever since the white people have moved into these lands, we have had "hang around the fort" Indians, and we still do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to see that you are pretty much calling any Native American who disagree with you Uncle Tom. Real nice.

GrahamKracker,

I would like to get a better perspective of this. Obviously you don't like the UND nickname being "Fighting Sioux". What about the state of North & South "Dakota." or "Sioux" City or "Sioux" Falls? Are you against the naming of those states/towns?

If so, what is it about the university's nickname (and the states/towns) that makes you think it should change? What disrespect does UND (& states/towns) having this nickname bring to you and your people?

If you are not against the states/towns having these names, why is it just the University that you have a problem with?

Before you answer, let me make this clear I am not trying to be a jerk about this and please don't take me asking the questions the wrong way. I am simple trying to understand your viewpoint.

GrahamKracker,

I would like to get a better perspective of this. Obviously you don't like the UND nickname being "Fighting Sioux". What about the state of North & South "Dakota." or "Sioux" City or "Sioux" Falls? Are you against the naming of those states/towns?

If so, what is it about the university's nickname (and the states/towns) that makes you think it should change? What disrespect does UND (& states/towns) having this nickname bring to you and your people?

If you are not against the states/towns having these names, why is it just the University that you have a problem with?

Before you answer, let me make this clear I am not trying to be a jerk about this and please don't take me asking the questions the wrong way. I am simple trying to understand your viewpoint.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Again.....I'm not going to answer that over and over and over....go check out www.UND.edu/org/bridges, it will clear things up for you, but thanks for asking. I don't agree with everything that is said there, but they do have many many valid points pertaining this issue. Thanks for asking though. It would be quicker to do it this way rather than typing for the next couple hours.

Again.....I'm not going to answer that over and over and over....go check out www.UND.edu/org/bridges, it will clear things up for you, but thanks for asking.  I don't agree with everything that is said there, but they do have many many valid points pertaining this issue.  Thanks for asking though.  It would be quicker to do it this way rather than typing for the next couple hours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I looked at the FAQ's and the BRIDGES website really doesn't answer any of those questions. It addresses why the name should be changed in broad terms and answers questions about the name for UND, but doesn't address anything outside of UND like the questions that Brent asked.

This is one of the problems. People ask you questions and you really don't answer them. It's difficult to understand how someone feels when they don't answer the questions you pose to them. Perhaps answering the questions that you are asked won't change anyones mind, but it certainly won't hurt anything.