SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown. 10/26/24

SiouxFan100

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Simon was 19-24 with bad drops and they took him off the field for the biggest play of the year on the road outside and at night and had a te throw his first pass of the year after blocking all game. Am I missing anything?

Watching that play again...on some level its hysterical and indicative of Bubba's reign at UND...2 point play for the win...a TE throwing a pass to an offensive lineman...and he wonders why it was not complete?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND1983 said:

The stupid griddy dance that everyone thinks is so cool even though it’s been done to death, is the same as the program itself - stale, never-changing, uninspiring.  

Nothing about Bubba screams inspiration.  Think of it, the only time his team looked truly inspired was against the Bison last year as a result of a Dale Lennon speech.  

32 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Watching that play again...on some level its hysterical and indicative of Bubba's reign at UND...2 point play for the win...a TE throwing a pass to an offensive lineman...and he wonders why it was not complete?

An sdsu guy debunked this on Twitter, no linemen are eligible in college football.  Who was Q trying to throw to?

15 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

An sdsu guy debunked this on Twitter, no linemen are eligible in college football.  Who was Q trying to throw to?

He was lined up as the TE.. not left tackle. And he clearly went out for a pass. whether he reported or not I have no idea.. he is either the most lost OL player in history or an actual eligible receiver. 

5 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

He was lined up as the TE.. not left tackle. And he clearly went out for a pass. whether he reported or not I have no idea.. he is either the most lost OL player in history or an actual eligible receiver. 

He was the left tackle on end of the line

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not a rules expert, but this is the wikipedia explanation:

College football

NCAA rules are less permissive than NFL rules and require that the five interior linemen, numbered 50 through 79, never line up as eligible receivers.[10] If an offensive tackle wishes to line up as a tackle-eligible, he must physically change his jersey number to that of an eligible receiver (this, for example, happened in the 2015 Cotton Bowl, when an offensive lineman for Baylor switched from his usual number of 60 to 80 in order to perform the feat).[11] A defensive lineman can line up as a tight end if his number is not between 50 and 79, as defensive players have no positional numbering restrictions in the NCAA. [citation needed]

I don’t blame Q for the play

blame the coaches for putting him in that situation

another time he was (n there and they called time out Q was giving someone hell on the sideline for lining up wrong, good for him 

38 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

He looks lined up as the left tackle here to me.

#62 C, #73 LG

Now I’m curious what the play call was. He blocks down and climbs to the second level like he was run blocking. Maybe it was some sort of RPO. 
My guess is this was a designed run that was supposed hit the left side. Right Guard pulls and the running back blocks left. That makes sense with how the left tackle blocked. I think the QB saw the play blown up and panicked so he just threw it up. This looks like a designed run play to me.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Watch Ziebarth's 3 TD's.  He is basically untouched for all 3 of them.  A run play like that would have been a far better call for the 2 point conversion.  

Except it didn’t work on a 3rd and 2 that would have nearly iced the game earlier. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

He looks lined up as the left tackle here to me.

#62 C, #73 LG

Now I’m curious what the play call was. He blocks down and climbs to the second level like he was run blocking. Maybe it was some sort of RPO. 
My guess is this was a designed run that was supposed hit the left side. Right Guard pulls and the running back blocks left. That makes sense with how the left tackle blocked. I think the QB saw the play blown up and panicked so he just threw it up. This looks like a designed run play to me.

It’s a designed run and if 51 blocks the LB scraping Q walks in.  His throw was him panicking and trying to make something out of nothing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UND1983 said:

I find it hard to believe that was a run play only based on how Q reacted post snap.  Cannot believe that was our play to win the game

He looked left and saw an unblocked LB and has no where to run.  It’s a designed run left with the left tackle running by the LB and the right FB and right guard blocking the same player and leaving the LB untouched in the backfield.  You can see where it is supposed to hit and where it would have been if anyone gets a piece of the Youngstown LB.  

what is probably the most annoying to me is that we are here nitpicking a couple questionable calls on the offensive side.. where the defense laid another monster egg on the road.  If the defense was even mediocre yesterday we win that game by 2+ TD's

• Upvote 2

Guessing they were trying to build off the pistol set at end of half against NIU where Q rammed it up the middle from 1/2 yard line.  Sounds like the wanted the defense to bite on that and then throw pass. 

I get it but if you think you're better, run a play with your best offensive set and try to get 3 yards rather than fool somebody.  Way too cute.  The only ones we outsmarted was ourselves.  And we needed 3 yards, not 1/2 yard so I wouldn't have bitten on a qb rush up the middle either.

4 minutes ago, homer said:

He looked left and saw an unblocked LB and has no where to run.  It’s a designed run left with the left tackle running by the LB and the right FB and right guard blocking the same player and leaving the LB untouched in the backfield.  You can see where it is supposed to hit and where it would have been if anyone gets a piece of the Youngstown LB.  

If this was the actual plan.. then there is even more reason to have romfo in the game.  Q is a great short yardage back.. he is not shifty or fast.. he is a power guy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SiouxForever said:

I saw the play. Vaughn was scrambling and then had a UND player wide open who dropped a layup pass. 

Yes, Vaughn was scrambling and it wasn’t probably the best play to start with, but how do you drop that light pass? 

Sir, that was our left tackle