SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

Just when I was thinking defense was about to turn the corner that TD drive happened. O-line is scrapping and good with run, but lack of experience showed on obvious pass situation because of the 3 man rush brought extreme pressure before half. Out D-line needs to be bullies like that on obvious passing situations.

FG drive I just wish Romfo would have thrown it out of bounds. (Lack of experience, need to fight another play) If it wasn’t for the sack we may have gotten the first, worked off more clock and got a TD. 

2nd half, we will see how our offense adjusts. Defense we need to find ways to get them uncomfortable and throw off their timing. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I loved our offense there and taking what you can get. However at some point you have to be able to complete a pass more than 10 yards down field. 

How is it that they had a WR wide open down the middle in the red zone without a defender within 5 yards. We can't get that the entire game anywhere on the field when we are on offense. 

We brought the house on that last one.

We also don’t have a receiver that can create that kind of space 

1 minute ago, Sioux94 said:

I loved our offense there and taking what you can get. However at some point you have to be able to complete a pass more than 10 yards down field. 

How is it that they had a WR wide open down the middle in the red zone without a defender within 5 yards. We can't get that the entire game anywhere on the field when we are on offense. 

I would summarize your entire statement with just this: UND’s defense is bad. Iowa State covers UND’s receivers, UND defense does not cover Iowa State’s receivers.

With all this said, I love what UND’s offense is doing. defense and special teams needs to step it up. 

Just now, Irish said:

So far all of the hallmarks of a Bubba team - some really good play but hampered by poor special teams, a porous defense, and horrible game management.  

Agree.  Some very odd calls or situations that go awry that you feel an FCS staff should be able to handle. 

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Offensive schemes look similar to Danny's. 5 yards per pass attempt. I've seen this movie before.....

They’re protecting the ball and focusing on ground game … so far a bit more than Freund’s offenses did. But a lot of season left.