SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

4 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

The first 3 were definitely greasy goals, but that’s the way it goes in the one and done NCAA tournament.

Denver was out chanced, out shot, and arguable out played in both games and won (2) one goal games due to no bad breaks and a goalie with a 97.2 save percentage.

But we clearly are outclassed and miles behind DU…

Blah, blah, blah. :silly:

2 hours ago, tnt said:

Which is why it is baffling that we can be taken to the woodshed by Omaha, a team that has been raided the last few years, and we even took one of their best players.  Having never been swept by them, to losing 4 of 5 under those circumstances suggests one team is outworking the other.  It isn’t just the NCAA tournament, but all the destination games and Frozen Faceoffs as well.  To have all those advantages and recruiting advantages to put up about 3 wins compared to about 14 losses doesn’t equate.  

Nope, it's all luck and the single elimination format. (sarcasm) :silly:

59b80fbb218ea_OfficeSpaceMemo.jpg.69ff357ec89ee47c02e6549fcd7bc1d5.jpg

3 hours ago, jk said:

I think you're underselling UND's recruiting.  This will be the third outstanding class in a row, with this year in the top handful in the country.

How come we’ve been so active in the portal then?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

How come we’ve been so active in the portal then?  

Different answers for different positions.  At F, we haven't been.  There were two portal forwards on the team this year, and none the year before.

On D, they appear to have just missed on some guys, some who never made it to campus and some who did then left.  That was a series of recruiting mistakes, but those were decisions made three to five years ago.  I'd say the guys who came last year and those lined up look good, and that's what I mean by recruiting is looking up.  Plus I think you have to give them credit for aggressively fixing what was a huge issue.  It wasn't pretty to do it, but they did.

You've got me on the goalie position.  No idea why they had the gap between Scheel and Hobie.  Especially frustrating since that's Karl's deal.  

I still really like the three classes:  the Blake group up front, then the D group plus Perron and HH, and now a couple high impact F and more solid D.  

I'd also argue that you should use the portal if you can. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Benny Baker said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling them excuses, but I think UND found fortune and still lost some of those games. 

They were down by 2 to BU with 7 minutes left. If they don’t tie in the final minutes, it doesn’t even get to OT, and no one gets to talk about a 4th period or an “offsides” that wasn’t.

They were down by 2 to Duluth with 2 minutes left. If they don’t tie in the final minutes, it doesn’t even get to OT, and the “5OT against a rested team” narrative doesn’t occur. 

They originally lost to Notre Dame 2-1 in regulation because no one backchecked to pick up the man in front at the end of the game.  If video replay doesn’t show the puck go in a few milliseconds after the final horn, UND doesn’t even get the second chance to lose in overtime.

Like the recent Michigan loss, all of those games could have easily been regulation losses for UND, if not for some fortune on their end.

Don’t forget, that once they experienced the absolute pain of losing a game like the Duluth game to a rival, they had a reprieve like BU did against us with an offsides call.  
   I remember thinking to myself that this was the positive karma going our way from the BU loss.  Not many teams get that second chance after your season has ended. We basically also got that second chance again against Notre Dame.  The thing is, good teams take advantage of unbelievable luck like that, and don’t let it happen again.   
   For those suggesting we are only losing because we don’t get the luck, at some point when you get the luck you have to take advantage of it.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, tnt said:

Don’t forget, that once they experienced the absolute pain of losing a game like the Duluth game to a rival, they had a reprieve like BU did against us with an offsides call.  
   I remember thinking to myself that this was the positive karma going our way from the BU loss.  Not many teams get that second chance after your season has ended. We basically also got that second chance again against Notre Dame.  The thing is, good teams take advantage of unbelievable luck like that, and don’t let it happen again.   
   For those suggesting we are only losing because we don’t get the luck, at some point when you get the luck you have to take advantage of it.

100% agree.  

I also remember having the same karma-related line of thinking, haha. When they scored 2 goals in the last 100 seconds to tie AND then Duluth’s first over time goal was waived off, I said the Hockey Gods were rewriting a wrong (BU game) and ensuring UND beat Duluth.  Once that goal was waived off, I was all but certain UND was going to the frozen four.

But alas, unlike BU who capitalized on the additional chance, UND didn’t. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, ChetSteadman said:

Lol, 4 goalies and a whole defense.  Cmon man

Regardless of how or why the team needed to replace all the D, you have to admit that the D as a whole was better this year than last. And it’s looking much better moving forward with the pieces in place and the recruits coming in. 

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Cameron Rowe was a goalie commit at one time, FWIW.

And Scheel left a year early. The goalie pipeline has been off since but should be stable in a year with Hobie and Heil. 

1 hour ago, ChetSteadman said:

Lol, 4 goalies and a whole defense.  Cmon man

Kleven Moore and Johnson didn’t leave early?  Frisch could’ve used a COVID year but moved to the pros. 

I am not a fan of the portal, and I wish the NC$$ can change it so that players can't change teams at will. Having said that, I doubt any other team has been as successful as UND at bringing in the right players at the right time. Kudos to the coaching staff for that, especially this season. There wasn't anyone that came in from the portal that (at least to me) didn't buy in to the culture. And Stoney you were right on the money about Johannes.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm saying that we've had a crap ton of unfortunate stuff happen over the past several years in the tournament. It's not a controversial take, IMO

“But 3-inches the other way and you woulda missed completely.”  -Charlie Conway to Coach Bombay

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

On your last paragraph, I'd absolutely not pin it all on bad luck. It's also not poor coaching, from what I've seen. We've been in the position to win all of the tourney games we've lost. I'd put it in the category of "that's hockey". What else could it be, honestly? Who should be blamed? That feels like the white rabbit we've been chasing in this conversation for several years now.

I'd put that goal into bad bounce, yes. Bad decision, but it hit off his teammates skate. Call it bad luck. Of course it's not all bad luck, but there are some on here that think it virtually means nothing. 

Loss in first round of tourney against BU... outplayed them and bad luck on the offside call that legit led to a rule change. Loss to Duluth in 5OT, carried all OTs, IMO, had several unfortunate bounces not go in, pipes, shots bouncing off goalie onto the top of the net, etc. The first three goals for Michigan, none of them bounced our way.

Absolutely doesn't tell the entire story, but some tout that 1 win since 2016 thing like UND is getting destroyed in the tournament since 2016. Each loss has been in OT or what happened against Michigan, a one goal game with three awful bounces/bad luck. I'd argue we played better in all of those games and didn't get enough bounces. I'm saying that we've had a crap ton of unfortunate stuff happen over the past several years in the tournament. It's not a controversial take, IMO

If we don’t go down 2-0 to Duluth and need two empty net goals to get to overtime the game should have ended I regulation. If the team plays the third against Michigan like the first two periods and doesn’t get out shot 15-1 in the first ten minutes maybe we move on, common denominator of all these bad luck losses is the head coach. He changed assistant coach and broght  Karl in , better powerplay same post season results. I think this head coach has to take some blame for his record, great in the regular season not so much in the post season. 

• Upvote 2

Lol. Duluth and Notre Dame’s first game winning goals were waived off against UND in 2021 and 2022, respectively. Both teams literally had to score 2 game winning goals each to beat UND in the NCAAs.

In back-to-back seasons. 

If UND only got more favorable bounces in the NCAAs!

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Lol. Duluth and Notre Dame’s first game winning goals were waived off against UND in 2021 and 2022, respectively. Both teams literally had to score 2 game winning goals each to beat UND in the NCAAs.

In back-to-back seasons. 

If UND only got more favorable bounces in the NCAAs!

If you look back after the Notre Dame loss, many that are in the we are unlucky crowd were saying that it wasn’t ideal and that Berry would have pressure the following year because they should be better and we’ll see how things go.

Well, we missed the NCAA tourney again the next year, and we’re one and done this year.  I am sick of trying to defend Berry to people, and once again that graph brought it home for me that it is well beyond time to put up rather than talk about woulda, coulda, shoulda.  

If it takes playing an AIC or some like team, then take care of business before that so you get to play them, and in an advantageous location no less. They have blown at least 3 chances for those advantages that have nothing to do with luck.

I wonder how many more years will go by with people using the unlucky bounces mantra, when indeed it has been shown that UND has been recipient of quite a bit of luck themselves. 

I think this coaching staff has the ability to get this team over the hump and go back to back and totally refute any negative narratives, but it is far beyond time for a program like North Dakota that they and their players don’t talk about getting revenge or that they have higher goals than league championships and just go out and get it done.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

On your last paragraph, I'd absolutely not pin it all on bad luck. It's also not poor coaching, from what I've seen. We've been in the position to win all of the tourney games we've lost. I'd put it in the category of "that's hockey". What else could it be, honestly? Who should be blamed? That feels like the white rabbit we've been chasing in this conversation for several years now.

I'd put that goal into bad bounce, yes. Bad decision, but it hit off his teammates skate. Call it bad luck. Of course it's not all bad luck, but there are some on here that think it virtually means nothing. 

Loss in first round of tourney against BU... outplayed them and bad luck on the offside call that legit led to a rule change. Loss to Duluth in 5OT, carried all OTs, IMO, had several unfortunate bounces not go in, pipes, shots bouncing off goalie onto the top of the net, etc. The first three goals for Michigan, none of them bounced our way.

Absolutely doesn't tell the entire story, but some tout that 1 win since 2016 thing like UND is getting destroyed in the tournament since 2016. Each loss has been in OT or what happened against Michigan, a one goal game with three awful bounces/bad luck. I'd argue we played better in all of those games and didn't get enough bounces. I'm saying that we've had a crap ton of unfortunate stuff happen over the past several years in the tournament. It's not a controversial take, IMO

Respectfully disagree (in part), but it’s cool that we have both sides of the debate here. 

If we were to talk to the other teams fans or coaches in all those same games, or take off our green-tinted glasses, they’d point out their own bad luck/bounces and be just as right (several waived off goals, their own key injuries, things that came to light after the season ended, TWO empty netters to tie it, UND having home ice and/or crowd advantage, talent, facilities, resources, all the bad calls or breaks other end that we didn’t notice because that’s how sports go, etc.). Cherry picking the things that weren’t perfect for UND and connecting that to defend the ongoing string of losses can mostly be chalked up to we were unlucky a lot continues to imply these things are just happening to one team. They happen on both sides, but are now a TREND for UND, not a bad luck bounce. I can almost guarantee Berry and the staff aren’t sitting around moaning about 8 years of bad bounces that always go against them (and if they are, count me in the fire Berry crowd). 

Michigan came out FLAT. UND had an incredible opportunity to capitalize for a big chunk of that game, against a team that even when they’re not flat, aren’t a world-beater by any stretch. And in my book, had the easiest 1 seed to go through this year, despite blowing the end of the season and a home crowd and #1 seed that were almost guarantees at one point. But they managed again to find a way to lose, instead of win. UMD, Notre Dame, etc. as have been pointed out…we had more than our share of breaks. BU? Well, that one just flat out sucked and UND was as close to deserving a win in a game they lost there as I’ve seen. Would have been the best game/crowd atmosphere I’d ever been to if a bounce went the other way, and I’m onboard with that just being an unlucky one. BU would argue playing in Fargo in front of a packed and RABID UND fan base when they were the higher seed was pretty unlucky I bet, and no doubt influenced their play. 

I’m not sure what the answer is here, but do believe the coaching staff has to figure something out vs “have better luck next year”. And I’m also pretty sure (and hope) they would say the same thing. 

• Like 1