SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And let's remember, all those "blue chippers" are not going to stick around 3 to 4 years. Once their seasons are over, they'll have NHL reps dangling contracts with dollar signs on them. A mix of 1-2 year and 3-4 year players is probably the best approach.

I'd be curious to see how often the team that appears to have the most talent actually wins the title.

I think back on some of the absolutely loaded teams in college hockey over the last twenty years.  UND and MN during the mid-2000's, with a handful of first rounders on each team.  BU in 2017 or 2018, where people were wondering whether they'd even lose a game because of the first round talent.  Michigan a couple of years ago.

BC may win it all this year, but that one will be the exception, more than the rule, in my book.

I've often commented that I think Dean Blais' three best teams at UND were the '98, '99 and '04 teams, and they did literally nothing in the post-season.  I don't think any of them won the WCHA tournament, and they certainly went nowhere in the NCAA's.

• Upvote 1

Just now, SJHovey said:

I'd be curious to see how often the team that appears to have the most talent actually wins the title.

Few and far between.  Using betting odds, the top team has around a 10-12% chance of winning the NCAA tournament.  I believe the actual results are pretty consistent with this.

40 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Not official…but he’s going to DU 

You're likely right, but if it were a slam dunk on him going there you'd think he would have already announced it & signed the necessary papers.

UND's recent playoff meltdowns aren't helping matters.

1 minute ago, .357 said:

You're likely right, but if it were a slam dunk on him going there you'd think he would have already announced it & signed the necessary papers.

I'll run over and make sure he watches the Spittin' Chiclets episode!

#PrivateChef

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SJHovey said:

I think back on some of the absolutely loaded teams in college hockey over the last twenty years.  UND and MN during the mid-2000's, with a handful of first rounders on each team.  BU in 2017 or 2018, where people were wondering whether they'd even lose a game because of the first round talent.  Michigan a couple of years ago.

BC may win it all this year, but that one will be the exception, more than the rule, in my book.

I've often commented that I think Dean Blais' three best teams at UND were the '98, '99 and '04 teams, and they did literally nothing in the post-season.  I don't think any of them won the WCHA tournament, and they certainly went nowhere in the NCAA's.

Trip down memory lane. Fighting Sioux team from 2005-2006 season had six first rounders (technically Toews wasn’t drafted till after the season). 

G: 

Jordan Parise 

Aaron Walski

Jean-Philippe Lamoureux

D:

Joe Finley (1)

Taylor Chorney (2)

Todd Alexander

Zach Jones

Brian Lee (1)

Scott Foyt

Kyle Radke

Matt Smaby (2)

Robbie Bina

Lee Marvin

F:

T.J. Oshie (1)

Brad Miller

Jonathan Toews (1)

Andrew Kozak (2)

Rastislav Spirko

Ryan Martens

Travis Zajac (1)

Ryan Duncan

Rylan Kaip (9)

Drew Stafford (1)

Mike Prpich

Matt Watkins (5)

Eric Fabian

Chis Porter (9)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, .357 said:

That’s the deal with Hakstol always getting the team to the Frozen Four,  North Dakota was getting a lot more exposure than all the one and dones, and you can always sell a player they could help put us over the top.  

3 hours ago, cberkas said:

Somebody send him the carjacking stats and crime in general in the Cities.  Hopefully the Dinkytown collective spent a load of NIL money on Snuggerud, and we can get Rydell or someone adding to our collective.

12 minutes ago, tnt said:

That’s the deal with Hakstol always getting the team to the Frozen Four,  North Dakota was getting a lot more exposure than all the one and dones, and you can always sell a player they could help put us over the top.  

You'd think that a player of Pohlkamp's caliber would be looking at all possible factors in selecting a school; & no doubt he's watching closely what schools are doing well in this year's tournament. Friday's third period sleep-a-pa-looza against MI may come back to seal the deal for DU.

Just now, .357 said:

You'd think that a player of Pohlkamp's caliber would be looking at all possible factors in selecting a school; & no doubt he's watching closely what schools are doing well in this year's tournament. Friday's third period sleep-a-pa-looza against MI may come back to seal the deal for DU.

But on the other hand if they win it all this year, and they have a mass exodus, I guess he gets all the playing time, but maybe not a favorite to repeat.  Denver may lose a lot regardless of the outcome next week. Depends on what is most important to players.  

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

Which school will be the first to have a General Manager position?

I can imagine that all the assistant coaches are monitoring it pretty non-stop during these first few weeks...talking to players, agents, arranging visits, etc.
Definitely a whole new aspect of the job since the portal era started.