SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs SDSU 2/29 7PM

sioux24/7

Good job marketing crew.... Way to get a crowd into a game.. Instead of as half Court shot for some money Instead remind the crowd of all the drunks killing people driving drunk.... #operationzerofalalities

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Good job marketing crew.... Way to get a crowd into a game.. Instead of as half Court shot for some money Instead remind the crowd of all the drunks killing people driving drunk.... #operationzerofalalities

Or even better having trivia. Nothing gets a crowd going more then trivia. I'm sure the hockey intermission has trivia between periods.  Also thank god for our football players trying to get the crowd going. Our actual cheer leaders do absolutely nothing to get the crowd going. They want to look pretty and do some dance moves. Our team deserves better. The Hawk use to go up into the crowd take pictures interact with the fans.  Even the band can't get the crowd into like it use to.  Along with the horrible change in seating the Betty sure has not improved.  

I'm sure the SDSU fans that made the trip up saw what a joke we are for basketball.  SDSU has a true advantage for their players in Brookings.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Or even better having trivia. Nothing gets a crowd going more then trivia. I'm sure the hockey intermission has trivia between periods.  Also thank god for our football players trying to get the crowd going. Our actual cheer leaders do absolutely nothing to get the crowd going. They want to look pretty and do some dance moves. Our team deserves better. The Hawk use to go up into the crowd take pictures interact with the fans.  Even the band can't get the crowd into like it use to.  Along with the horrible change in seating the Betty sure has not improved.  

I'm sure the SDSU fans that made the trip up saw what a joke we are for basketball.  SDSU has a true advantage for their players in Brookings.  

Frost Arena not run by hockey people

Personally I hope they play their A game and send Bruns on a long bus ride home with a loss. It's a one bid league so finish strong and watch what happens in Sioux Falls, unfortunately this tournament is always a home game for SDSU.

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm glad you're sure; it does. 

Great comment troll. Go back to the hockey board.  The comment was not about bashing hockey but about trying to put the same effort into every sport.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I'm sure the SDSU fans that made the trip up saw what a joke we are for basketball.

A handful of them joined in on the joke and acted like a bunch of teenagers.
It appeared they took offense to the UND football team's antics (which is no different than they have done at any other game) and decided to one up them and act like high schoolers. Not a good look for some of those parents/fans.

SDSU has a really good team. Two solid bigs and then Mayo. Mims was chasing guys around all night.
UND didn't get the rebounding edge it needed and SDSU got hot from 3 (partially due to some second chances and also missed assignments/rotations).

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

It appeared they took offense to the UND football team's antics (which is no different than they have done at any other game) and decided to one up them and act like high schoolers. Not a good look for some of those parents/fans.

I seen that too and didnt think it was a good look.  I dont condone that behavior, but I also wouldnt mind seeing a little more passion in our fan base for basketball either. 

48 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

SDSU has a really good team. Two solid bigs and then Mayo. Mims was chasing guys around all night.
UND didn't get the rebounding edge it needed and SDSU got hot from 3 (partially due to some second chances and also missed assignments/rotations).

The biggest mistake and easiest to correct is box out on defense we gave up 6-10 points by small guards rebounding because we didn't put a body on them as they crashed the boards.  2 rebounds lead to 2 Three pointers.  Others to a reset and inside buckets.  Simply lost track of their man and gave up a rebound.  We had that game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

The biggest mistake and easiest to correct is box out on defense we gave up 6-10 points by small guards rebounding because we didn't put a body on them as they crashed the boards.  2 rebounds lead to 2 Three pointers.  Others to a reset and inside buckets.  Simply lost track of their man and gave up a rebound.  We had that game.

We had this game, game against ndsu, game against Northern Arizona, seeing a pattern here 

about six minutes in or so........sioux had a fast break and someone dumped the ball back to a streaking brady d and he wet the bed......if that drop pass was to either brooks or especially mara it would've been a huge slam dunk and the roof would've blown off the roof off the betty.

i think we were up around 8 or so maybe at the time....add 2 more...sdac probably takes a TO and who knows what happens after that....so frusterating.

fun game but boy does bball take a backseat to "other sports"......biggest game in a long long time and that is what we get

• Upvote 1

an another head scratcher......trey hits a three late or mid way thru the second...i think puts us up 3 or something......next time down let trey do a heat check?  nope...i think sather ran a play for TT for some reason....TT put up a brick from about ten feet after hesitating.....next time down trey does a step back 3 and just misses......one series too late for that heat check.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Kab said:

We had this game, game against ndsu, game against Northern Arizona, seeing a pattern here 

Yes, I see major improvement from last year.  We won 9 of the last 12.  We are headed in the right direction.  

I know it’s easy for some to continually look just at Brady.  While I agree there are times I question whether he is who we should have out there as well.  Then there are times when he makes hustle plays and gets hustle rebounds that are game changing.  Regardless of his athleticism, there are times he brings an intangible that far far exceeds his talent level.  In an offensive scheme that has damn little movement in the half court, Brady is probably our best option of off ball back door layups when he sees it open.  Again, I’m not arguing with you completely but it is not that black and white.  Sometimes coaches know a team plays better when someone is on the court regardless of that persons talent.  The one thing you can’t argue is that Brady plays with heart.  He busts his butt when he is on the floor and that is often contagious to other players. As for the SDSU game, the beginning of the end was the end of the first half when we had a lead, momentum, and the ball with 7 seconds left in the half.  We threw away the ball, gave up an 3 point play, and went into the half with a 3 point lead instead of 8.  We followed that with no movement for the first 4 minutes of the second half and dug ourselves into a deficit we never recovered from.  Contrary to your assertion, Brady was not on the floor during that time frame.  I would like to see Mara see some time as well, as I think he has a lot of potential, but the constant berating of Brady is misplaced.  Sorry the game didn’t fit your narrative but we the reason we lost was inopportune turnovers, failure of pace,  and faure of ball movement - not Brady Danielson…

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

I know it’s easy for some to continually look just at Brady.  While I agree there are times I question whether he is who we should have out there as well.  Then there are times when he makes hustle plays and gets hustle rebounds that are game changing.  Regardless of his athleticism, there are times he brings an intangible that far far exceeds his talent level.  In an offensive scheme that has damn little movement in the half court, Brady is probably our best option of off ball back door layups when he sees it open.  Again, I’m not arguing with you completely but it is not that black and white.  Sometimes coaches know a team plays better when someone is on the court regardless of that persons talent.  The one thing you can’t argue is that Brady plays with heart.  He busts his butt when he is on the floor and that is often contagious to other players. As for the SDSU game, the beginning of the end was the end of the first half when we had a lead, momentum, and the ball with 7 seconds left in the half.  We threw away the ball, gave up an 3 point play, and went into the half with a 3 point lead instead of 8.  We followed that with no movement for the first 4 minutes of the second half and dug ourselves into a deficit we never recovered from.  Contrary to your assertion, Brady was not on the floor during that time frame.  I would like to see Mara see some time as well, as I think he has a lot of potential, but the constant berating of Brady is misplaced.  Sorry the game didn’t fit your narrative but we the reason we lost was inopportune turnovers, failure of pace,  and faure of ball movement - not Brady Danielson…

He was on the floor.... It was his guy he left wide open for a three in front of sdsus bench in the corner

I agree with Brady’s heart and hustle and the want to win

he has had a tough year with losing his dad.

i do question the coaches subbing and I think Mara and Williams could both have had a few minutes each game 

Sure.  I agree he was one of the defensive players who couldn’t get out on his guy on 2 of their 3s.  If you think he was the only one, you are delusional.  He was also the one that got tie ups and knocked the ball out on a couple of those doubles on the bigs.  You won’t find those in the stats but it is what we asked our guys to do.  SDSU moves the ball well and we had to address some mismatches down low.  We don’t match up well with their bigs.  We were cheating down by design which I will agree Brady has less speed to get back out on.  But he was not the only one.  What you ignore is the end of the half and the first 4 minutes of the second half when we had an 8 to 10 point turnaround and where Brady was not on the floor.  Tyree, who I personally think is awesome, made a mistake.  He underthrew the inbound pass which BJ couldn’t seal off.  They got a steal, layup, and a foul for 3.  It happens, but it was not all Brady’s fault.  In the beginning of the second half, we came out flat like we did with the Bison.  No ball movement and poor shot selection.  Brady was not on the floor until we were down.  He was on the floor when they extended their lead and failure to cover 3 s was a part of that.  I will give you that.  But it was also clear that our strategy was to double down on the post, which does give up an outside look.  Besides personnel, it was also a part of our defensive scheme.  That is the tradeoff.