SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hawks @ UMD Bulldogs - Start of NCHC Play

brianvf

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

When everyone around you is going to a certain level, the team has told you the entire year what the plan is…and then the plan changes at the 12th hr…sometimes you have to take a hard look at what’s going on. Kid wanted to play college puck and he chose to do so. Zero fault whatsoever on the kid. Doesn’t change my thoughts on the program or coaching staff as a whole…just a bad situation all around.

Interesting info I just heard from an advisor…Sandy has never went back on his word, or pulled an offer. Pretty crazy if true. He told me the worst offenders and it’s interesting to say the least. I can’t corroborate this info, just what I heard from one guy.

You can't just hang this out there without telling us who, come on! If I had to guess I'd start with Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, & Minnesota. Possibly even us?

• Upvote 1

Good for Luke Bast, but who would he be playing over this season

“You have to outwork them,” said Bast, who has two goals nine games into his career as a Bulldog. “At the end of the day, are we going to win with all our talent? Are we going to out-skill teams? Probably not, which is fine. The thing that we got is we got a group that's willing to win and do the little things that are going to win. You see it in the long run. Past teams here, you look at the roster, and you might not think that they're going to be great or whatever, but they come together as a group and they do what it takes to win.”

49 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

You can't just hang this out there without telling us who, come on! If I had to guess I'd start with Michigan, Wisconsin, BU, & Minnesota. Possibly even us?

Basically all the big schools. Those schools you listed were in the discussion.

But I will say, sometimes It has to be done. If “said” recruit isn’t developing or putting in the work. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. I was more shocked when this guy randomly named dropped Sandy has never pulling a spot/scholly from a commit. I’m guessing that’s a great recruiting tool if I’m a parent of a player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

When everyone around you is going to a certain level, the team has told you the entire year what the plan is…and then the plan changes at the 12th hr…sometimes you have to take a hard look at what’s going on. Kid wanted to play college puck and he chose to do so. Zero fault whatsoever on the kid. Doesn’t change my thoughts on the program or coaching staff as a whole…just a bad situation all around.

Interesting info I just heard from an advisor…Sandy has never went back on his word, or pulled an offer. Pretty crazy if true. He told me the worst offenders and it’s interesting to say the least. I can’t corroborate this info, just what I heard from one guy.

My question is, did the plan change at the 12th hour? Everything I heard about this was that Spicer (and his crew) and the coaching staff had different ideas of the actual plan. This is all moot. It is a bummer if there was a genuine misunderstanding. It would be worse if the plan completely changed without Spicer knowing it. My guess is there was probably a middle answer on all of this.

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

My question is, did the plan change at the 12th hour? Everything I heard about this was that Spicer (and his crew) and the coaching staff had different ideas of the actual plan. This is all moot. It is a bummer if there was a genuine misunderstanding. It would be worse if the plan completely changed without Spicer knowing it. My guess is there was probably a middle answer on all of this.

I heard the same thing, coach Berry wanted him to play another year of juniors, he said no. UND told him good luck. 

24 minutes ago, Goon said:

I heard the same thing, coach Berry wanted him to play another year of juniors, he said no. UND told him good luck. 

That part is definitely accurate that he said it just prior to last season, but I'd like to know if @scpa0305 heard anything different about this in the long run. I would love to know if Spicer was told he would for sure come in 2022 at any point. That has always felt unlikely simply because he committed at what, age 15? That's a hard promise. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

That part is definitely accurate that he said it just prior to last season, but I'd like to know if @scpa0305 heard anything different about this in the long run. I would love to know if Spicer was told he would for sure come in 2022 at any point. That has always felt unlikely simply because he committed at what, age 15? That's a hard promise. 

He thought he was coming in the whole season. From what I’ve heard. Second hand though.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

But I will say, sometimes It has to be done. If “said” recruit isn’t developing or putting in the work. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made. I was more shocked when this guy randomly named dropped Sandy has never pulling a spot/scholly from a commit. I’m guessing that’s a great recruiting tool if I’m a parent of a player.

Sandy is a great guy and has done a lot more then Berry/hak has done with more amenities and larger budget

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

UND didn’t pull his spot, they wanted him to wait another year if I am not mistaken. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Saying you won’t see playing time is the way around that.  I have a hard time believing that guys like Devlin McCabe just chose to eschew a college scholarship. He was once considered to be a great prospect and flamed out and was committed to Duluth. Plenty others didn’t make it to campus.

I was listening to the Bulldog Hockey Podcast, and Luke Bast was on and said this.

"I was actually on the phone with my dad, a couple of days ago, and he was talking to a fellow father from North Dakota," Bast said. The fellow UND hockey father said, hey, 'what would you rather do? Fly on a chartered plane and not play or get left behind? Or would you rather fly commercial and play every night?' 

Bast continued, "That was interesting. I think you take the commercial flight and you play every night. I think you'll have a lot more fun, and your college experience will be a hell of a lot better than staying home; rather than flying on a chartered plane.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hey Luke, ... why not be good enough to do both (play and fly charter). 

Luke Bast: Jonny Tychonick 2.0 

I will disagree a bit here because Luke Bast is a much more respectable human that Tychonick was, IMO. It is funny though because if Bast would have stayed he probably would have started with a regular lineup spot since everyone else left. But in hindsight it works out better because these freshmen are getting reps, proving themselves already, and seem to have a higher ceiling. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hey Luke, ... why not be good enough to do both (play and fly charter). 

Luke Bast: Jonny Tychonick 2.0 

Because he either wasn’t good enough or didn’t get the extended look. He made the right choice (obviously). I get the whole “earn your spot” stance…but this guy isn’t getting any younger. It was beyond time for a fresh start.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I will disagree a bit here because Luke Bast is a much more respectable human that Tychonick was, IMO. It is funny though because if Bast would have stayed he probably would have started with a regular lineup spot since everyone else left. But in hindsight it works out better because these freshmen are getting reps, proving themselves already, and seem to have a higher ceiling. 

What made Tychonick not respectful? Jw.

10 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What made Tychonick not respectful? Jw.

Do you not remember his attitude toward the team after he left here? He was a cocky dude with disrespect for the program after he left. Whereas Bast said he has nothing but good things to say about the program, he just needed a change. I was happy to see Tychonick be done after last year. I definietely took some pleasure in knowing we were the ones to end their season last year in his final collegiate game. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, brianvf said:

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I was listening to the Bulldog Hockey Podcast, and Luke Bast was on and said this.

One thing I highlighted after last year was, I thought the roster management was atrocious. What I had hoped changed going into this year was (1) 15 F, 8 D, 3 G (2) That there was a clear cut #15 F, #8 D, 3rd Goalie. That has been the case. Zero surprises on who traveled this weekend. 

9 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Do you not remember his attitude toward the team after he left here? He was a cocky dude with disrespect for the program after he left. Whereas Bast said he has nothing but good things to say about the program, he just needed a change. I was happy to see Tychonick be done after last year. I definietely took some pleasure in knowing we were the ones to end their season last year in his final collegiate game. 

I don't recall anything other than jawing at the crowd during a game. That's just him being a kid. What did he say?