SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ South Dakota 11/11/2023

SiouxFan100

20 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Why did we even get away from the run in the first place?

This is such a legitimate question! I don't get it! We weren't running on them like we were against NDSU, but thats ok. That first drive was working perfect; grinding out yards, chewing up clock. converting on 3rd and short or 4th and short. Took a shot and it got picked, that happens. But next drive we should have gone back to what was working.

• Like 1

I have to say that I saw a lot of the game comments on facebook and was kind of shocked by the reactions of so many people out there. The common theme was "Jeez, lower your expectations. We lost to the #6 team in the country". I have a hard time thinking these are actually football fans; they are spectators.

No, you're not going to win every game against top end opponents. Teams lose. It happens. Whatever!

BUT, the issue with this weekend was that we seemed to truly beat ourselves. That is not to minimize what USD did; they played well and far beyond pre-season expectations, but USD did not just beat us, UND took themselves out of contention in that game. 

The mentality of justifying losses based on a ranking is just dumb (maybe more explainable with #1, but that is because SDSU is on a whole different level than the rest of the FCS). USD isn't that different of a team than they were last year. They just aren't shooting themselves in the foot and they are executing more consistently. Some of these fans forget, there is a number next to our team too, and if we hadn't killed our own chances, we would be the higher ranked team as of today. This isn't a bottom feeder UND playing against a top end team. 

Obviously still hoping for playoffs and to see what happens there, but was really hoping for something a little more special this year. I know we aren't on SDSU level with talent, but this season had a ton of potential and this team just didn't take it. I guess it is a good thing that just making the playoffs isn't enough for a lot of fans though. I'd like to see this team getting a seed on a regular basis, or at least every other year as we continue to build. Just sick of always going on the road and playing like crap. Maybe something clicks this year, I guess we will see. Gotta win next week first!

• Upvote 4

I realize the the offense was putrid against USD, they scored 3 points.  The Yotes D was impressive and harrassed Schuster all game.  Our D was solid in that they only gave up 14 points.  North Dakota should be able to win going away when our D only gives up 14 points.

Having said that, the UND defense seems to me to be so poor situationally.  When it is 3rd and forever, it is almost a given that the opponent is going to convert.  UND must be one of the worst tackling teams in FCS.  It would be interesting to see how Pro Football Focus ranks North Dakota's tackling......... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I realize the the offense was putrid against USD, they scored 3 points.  The Yotes D was impressive and harrassed Schuster all game.  Our D was solid in that they only gave up 14 points.  North Dakota should be able to win going away when our D only gives up 14 points.

Having said that, the UND defense seems to me to be so poor situationally.  When it is 3rd and forever, it is almost a given that the opponent is going to convert.  UND must be one of the worst tackling teams in FCS.  It would be interesting to see how Pro Football Focus ranks North Dakota's tackling......... 

I thought I saw going into the ndsu game PFF ranked us 2nd to last in the FCS in tackling. I can’t imagine that’s improved much since then

19 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I thought I saw going into the ndsu game PFF ranked us 2nd to last in the FCS in tackling. I can’t imagine that’s improved much since then

Tackling has been poor for a while.  Even if they have freed them up to defend more instinctually without overthinking everything, they still need to focus on the basics of tackling.

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Call to Berg shirt ripped the team a new one this morning it’s refreshing to hear

Paul Ralston tried to spin it like a normal but Berg shut him up

glad Berg isn’t a brown Noser like some of the media type

Ralston learned his lesson and is towing the company line, lest he be reprimanded again. 

• Like 2

Berg can speak his mind. He was done doing color to spend more time with family; Tom Dosch was doing color. 

Dosch gets hired as assistant (to mentor the new DC); they ask Berg back and he accepts.

Berg is now the definition of dangerous: Power was thrust back to him and he knows he can walk away any time. He'll wield it as he sees fit. 

Sweet gig if you can swing it. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Call to Berg shirt ripped the team a new one this morning it’s refreshing to hear

Paul Ralston tried to spin it like a normal but Berg shut him up

glad Berg isn’t a brown Noser like some of the media type

Can you elaborate on what he said?

13 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

Can you elaborate on what he said?

Basically we aren’t disciplined

stupid plays

get back to basics do a simple tackle ling drill. The team isn’t playing good dd and os football. 

offense trying to be too cute

offensive play calling fell off cliff after ndsu

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I wasn't sold on Joel being ready as DC; when they announced the Dosch hire I saw the hire of a mentor to help Joel should he need it. 

But I miss Tom's insights and how he sees the game on the radio. 

Listened to the 4th quarter on the radio - Ralston was actually fairly critical of the offense, at one time said they "disappeared" in 2 of their biggest games (UNI).  Berg was definitely getting cranky as the game wore on.

I've mentioned before, we need better talent on D.  D line is average at best (pass rush below average), Linebackers average and undersized at best, same with secondary.  Adds up to a mediocre defense which is what we've seen most of the year.  

Just a weird team with no clear strength from week to week.

12 minutes ago, shep said:

In Kellys review at 360 he’s understandably upset at the D regarding 3rd and 24 scenarios of the last few games.

How does that keep happening Groundhog Day style?

D has kept us in the game against good teams

Offense been cramping the bed against hood teams 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I've got the answer for you. It's fairly simple, really. 

Because the most important player on the field goes invisible in big games...

There's your answer.

I understand what you're saying, but he doesn't control the personnel group put on the field and the play call (other than a check-down). Hard to run the ball from a 00 personnel package so the QB is left to (a) face a blitz (no RB) and find an open WR, or (b) scramble. 

The OC is the all-time career completion percentage leader (page 89). There's a mindset there. 

• Upvote 1