SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Arizona @ UND 9/9/2023

SiouxFan100

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

STONY BROOK, N.Y. -- In a game dominated by both defenses, it was a fourth-quarter special teams' touchdown that led Stony Brook to a 13-9 upset of No. 19 North Dakota Thursday at LaValle Stadium.

Redshirt freshman Gavin Heslop came up with the big play as he broke through UND's protection and blocked Austin Dussold's punt that was scooped up by Kye Morgan and returned seven yards for the go-ahead score.

Not sure of your point - of course it happens, are you hoping this happens again

13 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

You had to flashback to a game from 2016 to make your point? Yeesh...

u want more?  i can pull up lots of times our special teams being special.

(don't kick the kickoff to weber states stud with seconds to go in the half whatever you.....do....dawhoops)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u want more?  i can pull up lots of times our special teams being special.

(don't kick the kickoff to weber states stud with seconds to go in the half whatever you.....do....dawhoops)

You do whatever you want. By the way, Kaminski takes over the offense after this week, right?

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Exactly, we couldn’t contain him and he scrambled and found open receivers. This will hurt us, we need to get home on these pressures. Especially against better OL we need to get to the QB

QB Hurries can cause incomplete passes too though. Drake's starter had a 45% completion percentage, so saying he found open receivers after scrambling is just wrong. Not saying we shouldn't get home and get the sacks, but 21 QB hurries absolutely affects the efficiency of an offense

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agreed...it's almost like they have never seen a "clean" game before and wouldn't be able to spot a game where all 3 facets of the game are on point.

Sorry man, but your comments are never indicative of wanting a clean game, they are indicative of wanting perfection. Which is great, but not realistic.

You make plenty of fair points, but in a jackass sort of way (for lack of a better term). People like to point of positives, you typically like to argue every positive with a negative. This is FCS football and I want UND to be as good as the next guy, but we don't have a team of 5 star recruits out there or Nick Saban at coach. Maybe abrasive is a better term, but I'll stick with my original comment for now.

Danny will likely be the head coach ... eventually. Bubba isn't perfect, but if you think Danny wouldn't make mistakes as well, you're kidding yourself. I would tend to agree that Bubba hasn't looked like the guy who would elevate this team to a perennial power.  He certainly took a bad bad situation and elevated it to where we are, but can he take the next step? I'll at least give him credit for not putting Danny on a leash with play calling because he seems to let him do things I would not expect Bubba to have allowed in the past. I do wish there was more focus around the defense ... not sure if those issues were more around Bubba, Holinka, recruiting or what. All things considered UND did fine against Drake (FWIW Drake lost to NDSU last year 56-14). Point being, I'm not going to use Drake as the ultimate measuring stick. Have to see what this week brings. NAU isn't a top 10 program, but also isn't a door mat; they always have athletes. We beat them last year and I think we showed a lot of improvement after that game. Add another year, better offense, a few extra pieces on D and a home game and I like how we look heading into it. As long as we win, I'm more concerned with how the game looks (sniff test) rather than the actual score), but I'd like to see us win by a few scores.

Kaminski will be the starting QB ... eventually. Tommy missed a ball or two, but played a very solid game. Even the best Freshman QB are going to make mistakes right away. You think Kaminski was going to go 40 of 40 for 500 and 6TDs? 

ST isn't perfect, but they also aren't the biggest issue on the team either. I was very disappoint with the missed FG, but sounds like there may have been some snapping holding issues as well. laces in and snaps being bounced off the turf. Week 1 against Drake is the time for that to happen. Its one game and we dominated ... if it becomes a regular thing and costs us a game, I'll be more concerned. ST has also made some pretty amazing plays over the past few years. well timed FG and Punt blocks, returns, etc.

• Upvote 2

There are two camps a person can be at with this one:

One is the historical camp:  If you look at the intricacies of "Bubba Ball", then this game will likely be close, as that's just how these types of games tend to go.  We typically get a bump in "Bubba Ball" games playing at home...and on Potato Bowl the crowd should be into it.  34-31 would be a decent prediction given our perceived offensive strengths/defensive weaknesses.

The other camp is the "Great Expectations" camp:  This team is better up front on both sides of the ball than it has been in a bit, and our offense has the ability to score points on anyone.  We may not have sacked the Drake QB this weekend, but he was running for his life quite a bit.  I'd like to see us hit a couple big plays down the field...I feel like we can...and we should be able to do that.  With an amped up crowd at home that should only help our defense.  41-24 with NAU scoring a late TD would be appropriate here.

I find myself much closer to the "Great Expectations" camp than the historical.  There's nothing wrong with thinking this year we take the next step.  Hell I've heard more talk about that this year from the team and media than I have in quite some time.  A clean, definitive win is what should be expected if we are going to make that happen...and I think we will get it done this weekend!  34-24...late TD for NAU making it look closer than the game is.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Sorry man, but your comments are never indicative of wanting a clean game, they are indicative of wanting perfection. Which is great, but not realistic.

You make plenty of fair points, but in a jackass sort of way (for lack of a better term). People like to point of positives, you typically like to argue every positive with a negative. This is FCS football and I want UND to be as good as the next guy, but we don't have a team of 5 star recruits out there or Nick Saban at coach. Maybe abrasive is a better term, but I'll stick with my original comment for now.

Danny will likely be the head coach ... eventually. Bubba isn't perfect, but if you think Danny wouldn't make mistakes as well, you're kidding yourself. I would tend to agree that Bubba hasn't looked like the guy who would elevate this team to a perennial power.  He certainly took a bad bad situation and elevated it to where we are, but can he take the next step? I'll at least give him credit for not putting Danny on a leash with play calling because he seems to let him do things I would not expect Bubba to have allowed in the past. I do wish there was more focus around the defense ... not sure if those issues were more around Bubba, Holinka, recruiting or what. All things considered UND did fine against Drake (FWIW Drake lost to NDSU last year 56-14). Point being, I'm not going to use Drake as the ultimate measuring stick. Have to see what this week brings. NAU isn't a top 10 program, but also isn't a door mat; they always have athletes. We beat them last year and I think we showed a lot of improvement after that game. Add another year, better offense, a few extra pieces on D and a home game and I like how we look heading into it. As long as we win, I'm more concerned with how the game looks (sniff test) rather than the actual score), but I'd like to see us win by a few scores.

Kaminski will be the starting QB ... eventually. Tommy missed a ball or two, but played a very solid game. Even the best Freshman QB are going to make mistakes right away. You think Kaminski was going to go 40 of 40 for 500 and 6TDs? 

ST isn't perfect, but they also aren't the biggest issue on the team either. I was very disappoint with the missed FG, but sounds like there may have been some snapping holding issues as well. laces in and snaps being bounced off the turf. Week 1 against Drake is the time for that to happen. Its one game and we dominated ... if it becomes a regular thing and costs us a game, I'll be more concerned. ST has also made some pretty amazing plays over the past few years. well timed FG and Punt blocks, returns, etc.

missouri state says hi (twice) from a few years ago.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Nah, but I do see ongoing apologetic, compensating comments for mediocrity of Bubba ball.

Some want perfection, whereas others want ongoing contentment with mediocrity. Is there no happy-medium? Can we not want UND to *actually* elevate to the level of SDSU or NDSU? Would SDSU or NDSU be okay with a 7 point win vs NAU at home??

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

missouri state says hi (twice) from a few years ago.

I'm not talking about two years ago (and I'm pretty sure that was SIU), I'm talking about this year. If we miss two FG and blow the NAU game, you'll have more to stand on, but this is a new season and let's see how it plays out. I maintain the ST can only coach the kids; he can't force the ball through the uprights. But I'm sure all college fans call for their ST coach after every missed kick.

You like to pick obscure historical examples to support your point, while ignoring anything that contradicts it. Like I said, we've had plenty of great returns, coverage and blocks over the years too.

I'm not apologizing for the mistakes, misses, etc. but that's part of football too and I'm not looking to settle for mediocrity here but ..... as of now we are 1-0 and there was nothing mediocre about that win. There were areas for improvement, but we still dominated where we should dominate. Let's see what happens this weekend.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Nah, but I do see ongoing apologetic, compensating comments for mediocrity of Bubba ball.

Some want perfection, whereas others want ongoing contentment with mediocrity. Is there no happy-medium? Can we not want UND to *actually* elevate to the level of SDSU or NDSU? Would SDSU or NDSU be okay with a 7 point win vs NAU at home??

See I would very much agree with you on this. I don't want a 7 pt win. At the end of the day a win is a win, but I agree I want some more dominant performances and I think you kind of nailed it with the NDSU and SDSU comparison.

I see enough NDSU games here and there because of my in laws and I can't imagine seeing NAU go in the Fargo Dome and not getting beat up pretty bad. Now historically, I get why some fans are confident enough to expect that YET, but lets hope the players have some more confidence and clean up this weekend. A win is the most important thing, but style points and establishing confidence and chemistry is up there too.

• Upvote 3