SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

6 hours ago, Goon said:

I don't think that bar is open anymore. We drove by it in 2022 and it looked abandoned. :) 

Well it kind of looked abandoned when it was open but yeah, it has been closed for a long time.

19 hours ago, nodak651 said:

It could also be an assumption, or he could have misinterpreted someone's speculation as fact.  It's also not unreasonable to assume that someone may have given Freund that advise, or that could have been Freund's reason for leaving, while at the same time Bubba and the athletic department wanted him to stay.  I do know for a fact that the athletic department wanted him to stay.

next level guess/thought/prediction..........

bubba tells danny and landry that he has one / two years tops left........he tells them to go "full trojan horse" and sends danny to sdsu and jake to ndac to "learn the way".....bubba retires and danny comes back as hc and jake as oc and und dominates the mvfc/midcon for decades to come

hold my beer when this comes true.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

next level guess/thought/prediction..........

bubba tells danny and landry that he has one / two years tops left........he tells them to go "full trojan horse" and sends danny to sdsu and jake to ndac to "learn the way".....bubba retires and danny comes back as hc and jake as oc and und dominates the mvfc/midcon for decades to come

hold my beer when this comes true.

Buy a Powerball ticket; your odds are better. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Well it kind of looked abandoned when it was open but yeah, it has been closed for a long time.

Had friends in the Barnes County Sheriff's Office.
They cringed at the thought of a call to Helmer's during the Winter Show in Valley City. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Honest question: What exactly does this look like? Only curious because I've never seen anything similar for the hockey program. I can't recall seeing anything like that from either of the XDSU's (unless it is related to facilities, which I know UND has done as well).

I've listened to the AD and multiple head coaches speak plenty of times. Plenty of different settings whether it be Alumni events, booster luncheons, University sponsored gatherings. In various ways, I've heard them lay out what their expectations are and what they feel they need to do to accomplish it. Depending on the setting, sometimes they are pushing to raise more money as some of that vision requires more money.

What are you actually looking for when you say "show me the plan"? 
I honestly don't know what it is exactly you say you're looking for and how you want/expect it to be delivered and I'm curious how it relates to things that maybe are already happening, just not being put out there in the way you expect it to be.

Not necessarily the exact thing you're asking for, but UND could learn a thing or two from NDSU.. click around their teammakers and giving day web pages and then compare what they have to the champions club.  I think UND could benefit in revamping however they do fundraising for athletics, and this is probably more on the Alumni Association than anything, but it seems like the Champions Club is kind of forgotten under the arm of the Alumni Association.  Would UND benefit by the Champions Club becoming it's own entity?  Because it seems to me that the champions club doesn't really do anything other than collect season ticket fees.  For example, it doesn't appear that they publish an annual report anymore, which showed membership numbers, how much money was raised, scholarship costs, the different funding methods to pay for scholarships, etc.  Not trying to throw anyone under the bus or anything... serious question.  Self evaluation doesn't have to be a bad thing.  Just seems like there are too many cooks in the kitchen with the Alumni Association, Champions Club, Athletic Department, and the REA for things to be run efficiently.  Just an observation... not trying to throw anyone under the bus!  I believe you were involved with things like the SS fundraising drives for FB... I bet you they could raise some money for a cool feature or two for the new FB facility if they asked, for example.  I'm not in position to attend many games right now, so I'd much rather put money towards a specific thing than towards the general champions club fund - I'd give more if there were something tangible or more specific to fundraise for.  I'm not an insider though and almost all of my money goes to daycare now, so what do I know, but there's got to be room for improvement.

https://www.ndsugivingday.com/giving-day/76023/leaderboards
https://gobison.com/sports/team-makers
https://undalumni.org/champions-club/index.html

SDSU has an impressive website as well 
https://www.backthejacks.com/get-involved/index.html#ways-to-support
 https://www.backthejacks.com/capital-projects/index.html
https://www.backthejacks.com/sports/football/index.html

cc Brochure_16-17.pdf CC-Brochure_2021_WEB.pdf

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Just seems like there are too many cooks in the kitchen with the Alumni Association, Champions Club, Athletic Department, and the REA for things to be run efficiently.

It certainly has the appearance of a bloated mess.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Not necessarily the exact thing you're asking for, but UND could learn a thing or two from NDSU.. click around their teammakers and giving day web pages and then compare what they have to the champions club.  I think UND could benefit in revamping however they do fundraising for athletics, and this is probably more on the Alumni Association than anything, but it seems like the Champions Club is kind of forgotten under the arm of the Alumni Association.  Would UND benefit by the Champions Club becoming it's own entity?  Because it seems to me that the champions club doesn't really do anything other than collect season ticket fees.  For example, it doesn't appear that they publish an annual report anymore, which showed membership numbers, how much money was raised, scholarship costs, the different funding methods to pay for scholarships, etc.  Not trying to throw anyone under the bus or anything... serious question.  Self evaluation doesn't have to be a bad thing.  Just seems like there are too many cooks in the kitchen with the Alumni Association, Champions Club, Athletic Department, and the REA for things to be run efficiently.  Just an observation... not trying to throw anyone under the bus!  I believe you were involved with things like the SS fundraising drives for FB... I bet you they could raise some money for a cool feature or two for the new FB facility if they asked, for example.  I'm not in position to attend many games right now, so I'd much rather put money towards a specific thing than towards the general champions club fund - I'd give more if there were something tangible or more specific to fundraise for.  I'm not an insider though and almost all of my money goes to daycare now, so what do I know, but there's got to be room for improvement.

https://www.ndsugivingday.com/giving-day/76023/leaderboards
https://gobison.com/sports/team-makers
https://undalumni.org/champions-club/index.html

SDSU has an impressive website as well 
https://www.backthejacks.com/get-involved/index.html#ways-to-support
 https://www.backthejacks.com/capital-projects/index.html
https://www.backthejacks.com/sports/football/index.html

cc Brochure_16-17.pdf 2.85 MB · 1 download CC-Brochure_2021_WEB.pdf 4.51 MB · 2 downloads

You nailed it...NDSU Teammakers runs laps around the UND Champions Club...LAPS!!!

Alston awards are cool...but if you have a stud that's getting $25k+ offers in the portal...do we have any mechanism we can tap to keep him in Grand Forks?  Currently we don't...NDSU and SDSU do.  Need a new starting tackle?  Sure we can peruse the portal...but we don't have much to offer other than opportunity (which isn't nothing)...but NDSU/SDSU can fire up the collective and buy what they need.

Is it greasy?  Sure!  Do I like it?  Not particularly!  But if we want to compete for relevancy in our back yard we need these things.  At best we are late to the ballgame...at worse we'll stay behind...  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, UND08 said:

You nailed it...NDSU Teammakers runs laps around the UND Champions Club...LAPS!!!

Alston awards are cool...but if you have a stud that's getting $25k+ offers in the portal...do we have any mechanism we can tap to keep him in Grand Forks?  Currently we don't...NDSU and SDSU do.  Need a new starting tackle?  Sure we can peruse the portal...but we don't have much to offer other than opportunity (which isn't nothing)...but NDSU/SDSU can fire up the collective and buy what they need.

Is it greasy?  Sure!  Do I like it?  Not particularly!  But if we want to compete for relevancy in our back yard we need these things.  At best we are late to the ballgame...at worse we'll stay behind...  

I don't mind the Alston thing if that's the route they want to go, but I understand I may be in the minority there.  Helps with overhead and the athletic department doesn't lose control of the money, and coaches can legally make direct promises for it during recruiting.  I don't think large NIL pay-for-play deals are usually any larger at our level than what we would pay out in Alston Funds anyway, and Alston funds can be tied to a player staying at UND.  Nothing is stopping a local business from working out an NIL deal with a student athlete either.  That said, UND could better promote the 701 fund.  In total, I think they said they are budgeting about a million dollars for this, and that is probably more than any FCS athletic department has for NIL.  The total value for the stars may be smaller, but the funding should be spread throughout the roster more and help with depth, I'm guessing.

UND needs to get on the NIL train for merch/jersey's pronto though.  It's legit, and especially for hockey, it has a ton of potential to generate meaningful money. UND has a RFP out for a new jersey deal, so hopefully that is being considered (I think it is).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I don't mind the Alston thing if that's the route they want to go, but I understand I may be in the minority there.  Helps with overhead and the athletic department doesn't lose control of the money, and coaches can legally make direct promises for it during recruiting.  I don't think large NIL pay-for-play deals are usually any larger at our level than what we would pay out in Alston Funds anyway, and Alston funds can be tied to a player staying at UND.  Nothing is stopping a local business from working out an NIL deal with a student athlete either.  That said, UND could better promote the 701 fund.  In total, I think they said they are budgeting about a million dollars for this, and that is probably more than any FCS athletic department has for NIL.  The total value for the stars may be smaller, but the funding should be spread throughout the roster more and help with depth, I'm guessing.

UND needs to get on the NIL train for merch/jersey's pronto though.  It's legit, and especially for hockey, it has a ton of potential to generate meaningful money. UND has a RFP out for a new jersey deal, so hopefully that is being considered (I think it is).  

So every player is getting a bite of this so I would assume our softball tennis and other teams are going to be on the top of the summit since other schools aren’t paying their players to play

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So sounds like Trevor Olson is the new OL coach. Without knowing much, looks like a decent hire. Spent time with Minnesota as a grad assistant, SIU as a OL coach and then Winona as OL coach and run game coordinator. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

So sounds like Trevor Olson is the new OL coach. Without knowing much, looks like a decent hire. Spent time with Minnesota as a grad assistant, SIU as a OL coach and then Winona as OL coach and run game coordinator. 

Not knowing much but both OC and OL look like solid hires.

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Learned more info of late. Not good. Doomed program with Bubba as head coach. Need new leadership … and that may extend beyond just football. Hope 2024 goes better than I think it will. 

Any details or is this the “I told you so post” for later this year? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, F'n Hawks said:

You’re gonna leave us hanging?

Out of respect for individuals involved, yes. Let’s just say some of the so called “speculation” that the “idiots” on this site stirred up doing the numerous coaching announcements were largely correct. But, again, most on here are just unrealistic idiots …

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Out of respect for individuals involved, yes. Let’s just say some of the so called “speculation” that the “idiots” on this site stirred up doing the numerous coaching announcements were largely correct. But, again, most on here are just unrealistic idiots …

If you can't share the news why even bring it up?  

37 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

If you can't share the news why even bring it up?  

Fair point. Just airing grievances again I suppose. Can’t change the past at this point. The recent coaching turnover was a debacle, anyway you wanna look at it (and I recently gained more insight into this to confirm my worries for the future), but need to move forward now. On to 2024.

2 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Fair point. Just airing grievances again I suppose. Can’t change the past at this point. The recent coaching turnover was a debacle, anyway you wanna look at it (and I recently gained more insight into this to confirm my worries for the future), but need to move forward now. On to 2024.

Would this be related to the 'rumor' about Bubba thinking he has four more years left?