SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

46 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

SDSU is the playbook for FCS teams where football isn’t king. SDSU is, until the last 10 years or so, been a basketball centric university like UND is hockey.  They did all the right moves. Left D2 when SU left. Secured funds from donors and fund raised for probably the nicest overall facilities in the Missouri Valley. They slowly and methodically got better, and better, continuing to add resources in strength and conditioning, nutrition, better position coaches.  We didn’t move. Our facilities are getting better to be sure and like where they are going, but we are 10-15 years behind.  Geographically they are in a better place for families to come and watch their kids. Recruiting wise it’s close enough to a big town for kids to get on board with wanting to go to Brookings. You got a really want to want to play in Grand Forks. For us to win the way everyone wants us to win, we have to hands-down have the best of everything. And I don’t think the university, nor even the people on this board are willing to pony up and invest to do what it would take IMO. I think UND football will always have one hand behind its back unless the university and fan base/donors truly commit. And I think that’s why Danny left. He might be the only one truly playing chess.

That's a wild statement. Everything up to the geography of the matter, I do agree. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wow anyone hear bubba on 1440

sounded like he was on coke this morning 

hasn’t met with that team yet but plans to today

says everyone that moves on makes their own bed etc

tim and the he golf guy said it’s a good move up for Danny. That is where I almost puked. So when is sdsu a step up 

they compared it to harbaugh leaving Michigan for nfl 

We do not know the financial package, but it has to be a move up. A couple of years at SDSU and his resume will be very attractive. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I heard it to. Sounded very weird. Something is off

Coupled with his quote in the Herald article by TM Bubba seemed to have been caught off guard by this move.....but he seems to generally be caught off guard in most FB related situations over the past decade.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wow anyone hear bubba on 1440

sounded like he was on coke this morning 

hasn’t met with that team yet but plans to today

says everyone that moves on makes their own bed etc

tim and the he golf guy said it’s a good move up for Danny. That is where I almost puked. So when is sdsu a step up 

they compared it to harbaugh leaving Michigan for nfl 

If Paul Ralston is calling this a step up, that should be all the needs to be said to make changes at UND.  It's one thing to be a farm system to FBS teams, but now we are losing coaches to rivals to lesser positions.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

It could very well be a “move up” but that just shows how awful of a position our athletics are in right now. In no way, should going from UND to SDSU for the same/lesser position be a “move up”. In today’s world, it may be but that’s ridiculous that it is the case. Things need to change and they need to change quickly. 

agreed 100%

what a sad state of affairs at und football

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big Green said:

If Paul Ralston is calling this a step up, that should be all the needs to be said to make changes at UND.  It's one thing to be a farm system to FBS teams, but now we are losing coaches to rivals to lesser positions.

Itbwasnt ralston it was the guy from golf center on

Just now, gfhockey said:

I blame chaves for letting it get this far

My boots on the ground just saw him at Walmart looking at oversized hoodies and chinos.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone have the average Coordinator salaries in the MVFC and Big Sky?  Just curious how we stack up overall / sounds like we stack up poorly but there has to be stats somewhere. 

Glass half empty.. This is really a gut punch.  I was looking forward to seeing if the offensive struggles this last year were Danny or Tommy (by the way the defense was the problem last year not the offense) but i was still very excited about seeing the offense with one of the new QB's running the show.  I hope the offense doesn't get gutted in the portal after spring ball.  We need to get new coaches in here ASAP to stop the bleeding and keep our offensive players.  Seems like there should be some real potential out there.. Jake Landry? Luke Schleusner? but I have low faith in our ability to attract one of those fellas.  So we will see what happens.

Glass half full.. if you think Danny has the future head coach potential at UND its great for him to go get experience in a winning organization rather than continue to promote the inbreeding within.  Also this could be an opportunity for an OC with some vision to come into UND and set himself up to be the next head coach.

Overall super disappointed.. no other way to take it.  The strength of our team was the Offense.. the Defense is a disaster and here we are with a gigantic question mark now on the offensive side of the ball. 

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

My boots on the ground just saw him at Walmart looking at oversized hoodies and chinos.

At least he wasn’t sitting by himself by the men’s bathroom at the Betty!

I still don’t understand that. Lot of old money that is in that arena during games and he can chooses to sit by himself

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wheelsup said:

Does anyone have the average Coordinator salaries in the MVFC and Big Sky?  Just curious how we stack up overall / sounds like we stack up poorly but there has to be stats somewhere. 

Glass half empty.. This is really a gut punch.  I was looking forward to seeing if the offensive struggles this last year were Danny or Tommy (by the way the defense was the problem last year not the offense) but i was still very excited about seeing the offense with one of the new QB's running the show.  I hope the offense doesn't get gutted in the portal after spring ball.  We need to get new coaches in here ASAP to stop the bleeding and keep our offensive players.  Seems like there should be some real potential out there.. Jake Landry? Luke Schleusner? but I have low faith in our ability to attract one of those fellas.  So we will see what happens.

Glass half full.. if you think Danny has the future head coach potential at UND its great for him to go get experience in a winning organization rather than continue to promote the inbreeding within.  Also this could be an opportunity for an OC with some vision to come into UND and set himself up to be the next head coach.

Overall super disappointed.. no other way to take it.  The strength of our team was the Offense.. the Defense is a disaster and here we are with a gigantic question mark now on the offensive side of the ball. 

Who would want this job to be honest? Bubba himself on the radio even said he is a defense minded coach and defense first (look at our d stats since Schmidt left and it’s a lol) 

and it’s going in to a lame duck here

wonder how many playas Danny gunna snag out if the portal

plus they have a nil collective

This is a step up for Danny bc he’s going to the 2 time National Champs.

For those thinking he wasn’t good here, just remember the 2 time national Champs wanted him.

His O vs them over the last 2 years was better than almost all other opponents.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, shep said:

For those thinking he wasn’t good here, just remember the 2 time national Champs wanted him.

He was good here. No one else on current staff unfortunately was or is, though, so losing him to a lateral move to a conference peer is awful.

15 minutes ago, shep said:

Wanted him as a position coach. A downgrade of what he was here

he is assistant oc and not the play calla

oribably saw he was good with qb but not playing calling

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He was good here. No one else on current staff unfortunately was or is, though, so losing him to on a lateral move to a conference peer is awful.

I actually don’t hate the Pawlak idea if it’s going to be internal.  The guy has been equally if not more impressive than Danny in building and developing his position. 

Who knows about external.  Plenty of position guys that could be looking for an opportunity, similar to Danny.  

• Upvote 2

Repeating how the mass majority feels, but the way I also see it, the issues with the program currently are in this order (1) Bubba (2) Funding. The issue being, taking the next step as a program. Which will not happen as long as Bubba is here. The concern today, which wasn't there yesterday, is there's a chance Bubba burns this thing down on the way out. Chaves would be as to blame as Bubba if that happens. 

Let's circle in on the Freund decision. For those of us that watched all the games, the magic he had previous years was gone this year. If he did some self-reflection, there might have been some doubt (rightfully so) that he won't be the guy after Bubba. Still think if he thinks he's the guys in the next two years, he wouldn't leave. 

What's next. Need Chaves / Bubba to really dig deep here. The Hail Mary here is this is embarrassing enough to really reflect. Chaves makes it a point to better fund the program. Bubba thinks of his legacy a bit. Hopefully a bit humbling. Sell the OC hire as there's a really path to the head coaching position in short time.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Btw this oc job has landry written all over ut

whats the process for external hires? Bison got there’s done in a week

do we still have to follow the rules and wait 3 weeks and post or whatever it is

No.

7 minutes ago, homer said:

I actually don’t hate the Pawlak idea if it’s going to be internal.  The guy has been equally if not more impressive than Danny in building and developing his position. 

Who knows about external.  Plenty of position guys that could be looking for an opportunity, similar to Danny.  

No Question IMO Pawlak is the best coach on the staff, but would hate to take away his time working with the O-line by promoting him to Coordinator.  Maybe pull an SDSU and promote to Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach. and hire a Co-Offensive Coordinator/Play Caller.  And of course more Money.

When your UND alum OC leaves for a QB coach position at a conference mate (back to back champs, I know), and it’s seen as a move up and comes with a pay raise, you know all you need to know about the state of things at UND.  This could be said for all non hockey programs at UND.  Gotta find money.  Where is that money?

• Like 2