SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

14 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I like Fruechte's play calling.  I was really disappointed when Freund left, because I felt he gave us an advantage in most games as a creative play caller.  But I think Fruechte does a better job calling the right plays at the right times.  I actually feel he is even doing a better job with less talent at the QB position than Freund ever had. I also feel it is more of a "straight-up" offense if that makes sense.  Less gimicky and trickery.  He has really been doing an excellent job IMO. 

Fruechte has been an excellent addition, along with Coach Olson. Two excellent additions exemplifying why coaching matters. Defense is still suspect (same coaches on that side of the ball) but the offense is on a new improved level.

12 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

However when it’s first and goal at the 4 just run the damn ball

Yes. Even if you run 3 times for 1 yard each, it’s 4th & goal from the 1, and then it’s Q time. 

3 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I like Fruechte's play calling.  I was really disappointed when Freund left, because I felt he gave us an advantage in most games as a creative play caller.  But I think Fruechte does a better job calling the right plays at the right times.  I actually feel he is even doing a better job with less talent at the QB position than Freund ever had. I also feel it is more of a "straight-up" offense if that makes sense.  Less gimicky and trickery.  He has really been doing an excellent job IMO. 

Agreed.  I'd still like Freunde to come back as HC though, with Fruechte remaining as OC.  Red Zone offense still needs to improve... Freunde did really well converting for TD's, but Tommy also had the perfect skill set for QB play in the Red Zone, so not exavtly apples to apples comparison.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Agreed.  I'd still like Freunde to come back as HC though, with Fruechte remaining as OC.  Red Zone offense still needs to improve... Freunde did really well converting for TD's, but Tommy also had the perfect skill set for QB play in the Red Zone, so not exavtly apples to apples comparison.

That narrative has changed my man. Fruechte could be a better head coach at this point. Freund left for a conference rival and took players with him; hate to say it, but he’s not next in line anymore and that’s a good thing. 

• Upvote 1