SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

39 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Wodon argues the Pairwise is not a good way to select teams for home ice, so lets keep the status quo regionals.  That's a major error of logic, and any middle-school debater would tear that argument to pieces. 

My preference?

Let's start with Schlossman's round of 16 at 8 rinks, followed by a round of 8 at 4 rinks.  I think this, all by itself, and regardless of how the home teams are awarded, is vastly better than current.

Since everyone can host a home game, the only exclusion I can think of is an arena that doesn't allow broadcasting to the standards of ESPN's contract.  At the team's option, they can select an arena that's not their regular home arena. 

Home ice can be selected by a variety of mechanisms.   I would favor giving the Automatic Qualifiers home ice in round one; and randomly selecting the last two home ice, and all of the visiting team matchups.  (Process should have a sequence of selections to avoid interconference matchups.)  Have the Selection Show be a live and interesting event with some real drama!  Part of my rationale in favor of this random element is to avoid incentives where at-large teams can benefit by losing in conference tournaments.  

Importantly, it becomes harder for any conference to argue against solely on the grounds they never rank high enough to host.  This may increases the votes in favor of the new regionals structure.

Alternatively, award all the Round of 16 home ice by random selection.

Or a third alternative, a weighted random selection where the PWR ranking gives you better odds, but not certainty, of hosting regional games. (Similar to NHL draft lottery.)

For the round of 8, I would prefer the serpentine 1v8, 2v7 etc.

Just to clarify, in your system, every conference-tourney champion would get home ice in round one?

3 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Just to clarify, in your system, every conference-tourney champion would get home ice in round one?

Yes (technically each conference can select the means by which they select their AQ, but currently everyone picks their conference-tourney champion).

Trying to find the votes to change ....

3 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Yes (technically each conference can select the means by which they select their AQ, but currently everyone picks their conference-tourney champion).

Interesting. I didn't know that conferences could choose another way to select their AQ. I suppose if a conference used its regular-season champ for its AQ, the conference tourney would be irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Problem there is lack of planning time.  At least if pairwise is used, programs know if they will be in the mix way ahead of time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, farce poobah said:

If this happened we would have more 6 team conferences, possibly exceeding 8 total. Too big of a reward for winning 2 games with a bye.

• Upvote 1

This tweet is comedy gold. ASU’s strength of schedule is 100.3. They’re not going to overhaul the Pairwise for the sake of the Independents. At least, I haven’t heard anything or read anything that suggests that. If they have, it’s news to me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

This tweet is comedy gold. ASU’s strength of schedule is 100.3. They’re not going to overhaul the Pairwise for the sake of the Independents. At least, I haven’t heard anything or read anything that suggests that. If they have, it’s news to me. 

I've met the guy that runs that site at an ASU game last year. He graduated from Duluth and a supporter of the old WCHA.

ASU is a victim of their schedule and how coach Powers put it were owed games before their arena was built. I expect their OOC games next year to still be cupcakes with a couple big time mixed in for the next 2 to 3 years. They were the only team Stonehill lead all season until they beat Lindenwood. And if you look at who they played this season Denver, Providence, Cornell, and CC are the best teams with Alaska and Omaha having winning records also. Having 12 road games to 26 home games (I think in two of the road games they were the home team). Next year will be fun seeing how they do in the conference. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2024 at 9:03 PM, Kevin G said:

Interesting. I didn't know that conferences could choose another way to select their AQ. I suppose if a conference used its regular-season champ for its AQ, the conference tourney would be irrelevant.

Someone can correct me if I cam wrong, but I think one of the primary reasons to have a conference tournament (and this would be for any conference in any sport) would be for the purpose of making money for the conference.  Technically, you could have a conference tournament (to make money) and choose your AQ by some other method, but that would be a little anti-climatic.  I think there may be some leagues that award AQ to regular season champ in some sports and eschew the conference tournament, but don't quote me on that either.

At the moment, it looks like the at-large cutoff for the NCAA tournament will be at least PWR 14--worse if there conference tournament upsets. You probably need to be no worse than PWR 12 to guarantee yourself a spot in the tourney. This is relevant for a number of NCHC teams near the bubble. Presently WMU is 12, SCSU is 14, CC is 17, and Omaha is 18. 

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Someone can correct me if I cam wrong, but I think one of the primary reasons to have a conference tournament (and this would be for any conference in any sport) would be for the purpose of making money for the conference.  Technically, you could have a conference tournament (to make money) and choose your AQ by some other method, but that would be a little anti-climatic.  I think there may be some leagues that award AQ to regular season champ in some sports and eschew the conference tournament, but don't quote me on that either.

Not in my realm of knowledge but does football have an equivalent to a conference tourney?

11 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Not in my realm of knowledge but does football have an equivalent to a conference tourney?

No.  Most FBS conferences have a conference championship game, though.

27 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

At the moment, it looks like the at-large cutoff for the NCAA tournament will be at least PWR 14--

Key words highlighted. 
I'd only feel safe at PWR12 or better. 
Too many good HEA/B1G/NCHC teams sitting 14-25 that could go on a weekend run and take an autobid. 

What is up with the CCHA this year?  Mankato is their highest Pairwise team at 29 and the AHA has two teams higher (RIT 22 and Holy Cross 27).  I don't have the inter-conference records but the CCHA must have been blasted this year.

Another note is on CC.  They have a couple of comparisons they are losing to Augustana and Arizona State that will take a sweep of DU at the end of the year to flip.  Those two comparisons could prove very costly to their NCAA aspirations.