SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

7 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Ummm no. Mostly speaking from the men’s side but top 10ish NAIA teams are easily capable of beating bottom 25-50 D1 teams. We just saw a top 20 women’s Mayville State beat a bad D1 team in UND. 3 years ago a BAD Mayville State men’s team lost by 4 to a terrible D1 UND men’s team. Confused on where you are confused 

So outside of Chaminade beating Virginia in 1982 and Arizona Christian defeating Northern Arizona in 2013, what else ya got? 

Your goal post moved from “often beat” bad D1 men’s teams all the way to “being easily capable” of beating them.  

In either scenario — in men’s OR women’s hoops, apparently — sadly, the common denominator seems to be UND basketball.  

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Didn't see much of the game, but, from what I did see, Hurst was setting a lot of screens for her teammates instead shooting the ball every other time that she touched it.  Also, she was letting a guard bring the ball up the floor, as it should be.  Now, if she starts posting up down low, she'll be hard to stop.  She's a good finisher.

She put up the 2nd most shots yesterday behind Kacie. She has the 2nd most FGA for the season behind Kacie. She was 4-13 yesterday with a FG% of .366 for the year.

This team is 3-8 with Hurst as your Robin to Kacie's Batman.

Meanwhile at Mayville St.........

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So outside of Chaminade beating Virginia in 1982 and Arizona Christian defeating Northern Arizona in 2013, what else ya got? 

Your goal post moved from “often beat” bad D1 men’s teams all the way to “being easily capable” of beating them.  

In either scenario — in men’s OR women’s hoops, apparently — sadly, the common denominator seems to be UND basketball.  

I didn't move any goal post. My original post literally says compete and often beat bad D1 teams. I wish i could find the dude on twitter that has a spreadsheet of all the times D1 teams lose to lower level teams. NAIA schools normally get 1 or 2 a year (As we've seen at UND, D1 schools are not rushing to play top tier NAIA programs). Here's a non UND one for you https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/rocky-mountain-college/boxscore/6719

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I didn't move any goal post. My original post literally says compete and often beat bad D1 teams. I wish i could find the dude on twitter that has a spreadsheet of all the times D1 teams lose to lower level teams. NAIA schools normally get 1 or 2 a year (As we've seen at UND, D1 schools are not rushing to play top tier NAIA programs). Here's a non UND one for you https://msubobcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2023-24/rocky-mountain-college/boxscore/6719

So 1-2 times per year is often? I'll leave the rest of the joke for you to make. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

So 1-2 times per year is often? I'll leave the rest of the joke for you to make. 

Can you read? Top tier NAIA programs (maybe 10ish schools?) playing bottom 25-50 D1 programs. Let me know how often those schedules workout. Just for you https://denverpioneers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/ottawa-ariz-/boxscore/11950 . UND got waxed by 20 by Denver that year. I'll say it again, top tier NAIA programs can compete and often beat bad D1 teams. Mayville State women proved that right this year, which is what this topic was originally about. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

She put up the 2nd most shots yesterday behind Kacie. She has the 2nd most FGA for the season behind Kacie. She was 4-13 yesterday with a FG% of .366 for the year.

This team is 3-8 with Hurst as your Robin to Kacie's Batman.

Meanwhile at Mayville St.........

I don't doubt your analysis.  It's just what I observed from the few minutes of the second half that I happened to catch.

1 hour ago, GoodGood said:

Can you read? Top tier NAIA programs (maybe 10ish schools?) playing bottom 25-50 D1 programs. Let me know how often those schedules workout. Just for you https://denverpioneers.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/ottawa-ariz-/boxscore/11950 . UND got waxed by 20 by Denver that year. I'll say it again, top tier NAIA programs can compete and often beat bad D1 teams. Mayville State women proved that right this year, which is what this topic was originally about. 

And we both know using score differentials to prove a point is laughable. You also left out that UND blew an almost 20 point lead against the same Denver team before losing in overtime.

You keep saying often and I'm questioning if you actually know what that means. That would require it to happen frequently, which I have a hard time buying.
Maybe you can actually quantify what the W-L record in those scenarios actually is because you're pulling examples out (which no one argues that they happen!) without giving the actual sample size you're pulling from. Is "often" 1 or 2 out 10? 1 or 2 out of 20? Or something completely different.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

28 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

A few minutes is all most can bear to watch at this point

I didnt miss many games last year, but right now I dont plan on going to another game.  I will stay home and watch the men's team on TV since both teams play at the same time now.  Its hard to believe how far we have fell from last years team.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And we both know using score differentials to prove a point is laughable. You also left out that UND blew an almost 20 point lead against the same Denver team before losing in overtime.

You keep saying often and I'm questioning if you actually know what that means. That would require it to happen frequently, which I have a hard time buying.
Maybe you can actually quantify what the W-L record in those scenarios actually is because you're pulling examples out (which no one argues that they happen!) without giving the actual sample size you're pulling from. Is "often" 1 or 2 out 10? 1 or 2 out of 20? Or something completely different.

Denver is D1, I never used point differential to prove a point. If you're really still questioning if the top tier NAIA can compete and beat bad D1s, just punch it into Twitter and you'll find all the data you want. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Denver is D1, I never used point differential to prove a point. 

4 hours ago, GoodGood said:

UND got waxed by 20 by Denver that year. 

OK boss guess I misinterpreted you literally using point differential between UND and Denver to infer UND would have lost to Ottawa as well.

Like I said, you keep saying it happens often and then state it as 1-2 times per year like somehow that is common.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team should not be a hot Kardashian mess but when you collectively can't score the basketball and you defend with minimal effort you wind up at 3-8 heading into the break. 

3-8 and two wins over non division 1 opponents.  The one division 1 game they barely won and NDSU played the same team the night before and beat them by 30 or 40.  AND 1 loss to a non division one team!  Those are suppose to be gimmes !   NDSU Has a young team of freshman and sophomores with one experienced returner just like UND.    

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

OK boss guess I misinterpreted you literally using point differential between UND and Denver to infer UND would have lost to Ottawa as well.

Like I said, you keep saying it happens often and then state it as 1-2 times per year like somehow that is common.

As much as I would love to argue with you about the word often or common, I’m going to pass. One last time, top tier NAIA programs can compete and often beat bad D1s. UND women found that out last weekend 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GoodGood said:

As much as I would love to argue with you about the word often or common, I’m going to pass. One last time, top tier NAIA programs can compete and often beat bad D1s. UND women found that out last weekend 

Florida Memorial University who is a pretty good NAIA school lost in overtime at Florida Gulf Coast University tonight on the Men's side. 

FGCU is missing a couple guys but they were picked to finish  towards the top of the Atlantic Sun Conference 

• Upvote 3

I do feel bad for Kacie I believe she thought they could do more as a team. Bernhard miss judged this year I believe in that she thought this group of sophomores would develop more and play better as a team this year. The Freshman players of Pemberton, Horne, and Ibrahim are going to be good players and are improving as the season goes along. Bass and Owen were players recruited for the future of program to fill certain roles needed on the team. Oberg on paper looked to be good fill for this year but she hasn't looked healthy enough to compete for what UND needs. My guess if you could get Bernhard to truthfully what she thinks now she would have looked to portal to experienced players that could have played right now like South Dakota has done this past season. Maybe in the long run with this group of players it will be best, but time will only tell. I also thought this was possibility of happening this year when I was arguing when they were losing their assistants and number of posters said we had time to replace people and I said this was going put us behind in development of this team. This team looks like it needed more time in development, and it begins with getting started early and everything in place and that didn't happen.