SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-2024 Season

SWSiouxMN

They came out flat today, but the second half was better with more hustle and played better defense. Hurst looks like she is playing hurt from what I saw today. Also, she needs to get better shape could tell she has been limited in working out on the floor to gain some endurance running. The offense side of the game needs to be work on get some rhythm and better shot selection. Kacie was trying to do too much and resulted in turnovers and bad shot selection.

As badly as they played today, they came back and had chance to win this game against very good opponent. I think you could see from last game they had worked hard on defense with these younger players but then you see what happened to our offense.  This is very young team playing out there, but they are improving from game to game, but they need to start putting together more complete game. The shooting needs to improve, and it will if they start running offense that puts them in good position to shoot the basketball. Pemberton and Horne look like they could see significant minutes if they continue to improve from game to game. Aumer to me is struggling right now and I don't believe it's not from working on her game skills. To me she has improved her athletic strength but in doing so she has lost some of her natural flow as athlete but that may come the more, she plays. Und is going to need her this year provide minutes in guard position. The freshmen getting playing time to me she's not ready yet to play needs more playing time and work playing guard position.

I think we will see big difference by time we reach the break before Christmas and even then, we will have long ways to go before this team can counted on to win games on consistant basis. I still think they can be force by end of the year.

Only transfer is Oberg and I was expecting more but looks like she is having back problems. Last two recruiting classes of freshman  there looks to be some talent in several players from each class but they are still young and developing. Even Kacie didn’t show much until late in her sophomore season and that is what I am hoping we see this year with last years recruiting class. This team is going to take time to develop and we’re looking at Kacie, Hoskins, and Davis with some experience to build around it would have been nice to have couple more experienced players to help build a team around. Like somebody said they need to start play more as team and I think it will happen but Berhard is going to have settle on rotation and also to get Kacie to lead this team and get them playing together but this will probably mean Kacie being less of scorer and more facilitator for the team.

Ladies laid another egg today.  I watched most of the first half but couldnt force myself to watch more.  It was awful.  27 turnovers, 21% from 3, 43% from the FT line.  I dont see how Hurst is even playing.  Plays defense with her arms at her side.  We are in for a long season I think.  I do like two of the freshman we have and see some potential there, but they need to be playing more.  Our two 4 star recruits so far have been a bust.  I dont see how we are a top 4 team in the summit.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Ladies laid another egg today.  I watched most of the first half but couldnt force myself to watch more.  It was awful.  27 turnovers, 21% from 3, 43% from the FT line.  I dont see how Hurst is even playing.  Plays defense with her arms at her side.  We are in for a long season I think.  I do like two of the freshman we have and see some potential there, but they need to be playing more.  Our two 4 star recruits so far have been a bust.  I dont see how we are a top 4 team in the summit.  

4610001.gif.b6c7499df46c437b5144170d5ab32ec3.gif

• Upvote 1

It was terrible performance and i have to agree with most said above. This group needs to start playing as a team and start running some kind of offense. This coming down and taking 3 from outside is not going to cut it. We need to run some kind of offense where we get good shot from the paint. We have nothing so far to look take of our size inside when we have taller players on the floor. We need to look to inside to score and if not then kick out for good outside shot. I still think this group could get to become good team, but they are going to have to play team ball and not look for their numbers otherwise were never going to win this even goes down to Kacie. Bernhard is going to need also decide what type of basketball team is she going to put on the floor today she started small and then went back to bigger but it's time to settle on style then work from there to get performance out of this group of players. I knew were going to struggle with this group of young players and not having point guard that could control play but i thought we would be getting better by now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

It was terrible performance and i have to agree with most said above. This group needs to start playing as a team and start running some kind of offense. This coming down and taking 3 from outside is not going to cut it. We need to run some kind of offense where we get good shot from the paint. We have nothing so far to look take of our size inside when we have taller players on the floor. We need to look to inside to score and if not then kick out for good outside shot. I still think this group could get to become good team, but they are going to have to play team ball and not look for their numbers otherwise were never going to win this even goes down to Kacie. Bernhard is going to need also decide what type of basketball team is she going to put on the floor today she started small and then went back to bigger but it's time to settle on style then work from there to get performance out of this group of players. I knew were going to struggle with this group of young players and not having point guard that could control play but i thought we would be getting better by now.

It seems to me this team needs to play without Kacie on the floor. They rely too much on her, for good reason but for growth they need to find their own identity. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Kb had eight turnovers 

sounded like we had at least six offensive fouls called against us in the first half - didn’t adjust or just bad calls?

It was a mix.  The officiating left a lot to be desired.  There was one abysmal call against us that was a block 100%.  Mallory gave the refs an earful on that one and got an immediate makeup illegal screen call on the next possession.  The other charges looked legit.  A couple of the offensive fouls were illegal screens.

Overall, just a really poor performance by the team.

5 minutes ago, Und246 said:

Believe it or not Kacie hasn’t been good. 8 turnovers yesterday. No team chemistry. Long year again. 

She came back when she didn't have to. She was pre-season POY in the conference. She is expected to run the show offensively and score in bunches. She really has minimal support offensively. That's not a Kacie issue.....that's a building a team around her issue.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NewUndFan said:

Another great start for the ladies. 6 turnovers in the first quarter.  I do like the switch in starting line up though. Only down 19 in the first quarter! I'm a gluten for punishment watching this game this early

If we wanted a team that turned the ball over this much, we could have just kept Brewster.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we wanted a team that turned the ball over this much, we could have just kept Brewster.

Probably should have. He at least recruited local players.  He got miss North dakota and Minnesota basketball here.  Other then KC I believe the rest of the team now is all Mal recruits