SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

17 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

I've never signed an NLI so I don't know the full extent of what they're signing, but generally isn't there an out with an NIL if a coach were to leave since you're really not only signing to play for a program, you're also signing to play for a coach?

In a word: Nope.

The NLI is binding even if the coach who offered the letter leaves the college.

https://www.ncsasports.org/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-national-letter-of-intent#:~:text=The NLI is a binding,aid for one academic year. 

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

@Big A HGyou may have written "NIL" where you meant "NLI" a couple times. 

Ope, yep....going from all the talk about NIL lately I brain-farted my way through the rest of my message about NLI.  Somehow I managed to get the first NLI right.  It's only Tuesday and the brain is already dead.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The evil of the portal is going on full display for all to see.

Wisconsin will pluck MSU-Mankato of recruits and select players via the portal. And the rest of us can only watch in amazed horror. 

I wonder if a school could put escalators in a contract buyout tied to existing/committed players leaving to the same school as the coach within say 90 days. At least make it hurt a little.

Matt Staudacher, Dman from UMN, entered the portal.
He's a leftie, but he does have two years of eligibility left.

Maybe someone for Berry to check out...although he's a MI native so UM or MSU wouldn't be a surprise destination for him.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Matt Staudacher, Dman from UMN, entered the portal.
He's a leftie, but he does have two years of eligibility left.

Maybe someone for Berry to check out...although he's a MI native so UM or MSU wouldn't be a surprise destination for him.

GPL was talking about he red shirted and he was coming back.

I have to say that I really like the addition of size to our line up. 

I don't know enough about Pyke but I like that both Zmolek and Johannes seem to be physical players. I'm not for gooning it up or playing cheap, but player hard and physical and making opponents actually think about going into the corners with you is a good thing. 

Hard not to be a bit skeptical after the way this year ended (though there was plenty of promise at the end with the way they were playing), but I do like the potential in some of these transfers. Who knows, maybe some of them click right away and become a solid unit. Hopefully a few of the freshman can understand what will be needed of them and step right into their roles.

I never considered Moore to be dominant, but I wish we could have kept him around. That being said, maybe getting a whole new unit that can grow together won't be a bad thing. Hopefully they can gel quickly.

• Upvote 3