SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

We’re all fans of the program (obviously)…but looking at the folks that are attempting to spin this all in a positive light is hilarious. I wear green coated glasses but this is something entirely different hahaha 

I agree with you. However, it is early in the portal vetting process and we don't know which players the coaches are pursuing. The sausage-making process never looks pretty, but the end product is far from being determined.

5 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Sioux hockey historians, has a UND team ever turned over its entire d-core* in an offseason before?

*let alone entire d-core plus starting goalie plus primary backup goalie

Is hellsten gone too???

8 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Okay. Maybe I’m dumb. What if no team takes or wants/needs a player that is “in the portal” does entering immediately sever scholarships/relationships with UND? 

No there have been players not selected in the portal that have gone back to their original schools. It’s rare, but has happened. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

No there have been players not selected in the portal that have gone back to their original schools. It’s rare, but has happened. 

In hockey 10-15% of players who enter the portal will not play another game of Division  1 Hockey.

Football and Basketball is around 40-45% of the players not finding a new Division 1 team.

19 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I heard Connor Mayer of CC just did that. Entered the portal a week or two ago but today announced he’s returning to CC. 

2 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I heard Connor Mayer of CC just did that. Entered the portal a week or two ago but today announced he’s returning to CC. 

All depends on the conversations they have with the coaching staff. Not all decisions to enter the portal are initiated by the player.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, petey23 said:

All depends on the conversations they have with the coaching staff. Not all decisions to enter the portal are initiated by the player.

Right?  I did my part to persuade @Godsmack that his, ahem, talent on the ice, is probably better suited for someone other than Train Wreck.  It’s up to him to get the hint.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you. However, it is early in the portal vetting process and we don't know which players the coaches are pursuing. The sausage-making process never looks pretty, but the end product is far from being determined.

The fact the portal has to be our savior is embarrassing at this point. We either aren’t giving our recruits a fair shot…or we’re recruiting the wrong kids. What is it? The “miss” rate is clicking a bit high from what I’m used to.

• Upvote 4

@scpa0305 I agree with almost everything you're saying. The feel that some high-end recruits have gotten honestly is warranted and is concerning. There's no spin there. 

Why the flip of the switch for me? I explained the Portz move was significant. 13 leaving would also be big and what I would call a true offensive reset. As far as a recruiting standpoint. Last year's Freshman class was very good. I really like the incoming Freshman class as well. We'll see how this goes, but there appears to be a real path where next year the roster is constructed in a way where talent plays. Where you'll see the Freshman and Sophomore forwards in the lineup every night. Minimum of 3 of the 5 Freshman defenseman will be in the lineup every night. If the roster is constructed correctly (which I do think it's headed that way) and talent plays, we will not see what is happening this year happen next year.  

Here's to watching the reset and this program going back to recruiting talent, developing talent, playing talent. 

• Upvote 2

Now that they need three, Noah Ellis immediately becomes a crucial piece. RH shot. VGK draft pick. Sophomore. Someone who you would feel great bringing in as more of a 3rd pair guy (maybe 2nd) next year. High upside. 

6 hours ago, MGsioux said:

But the whining about everything on this board is clicking at an all time high rate.  Relax and enjoy the journey , it will work out just fine 

Great point......cause it was a blast to go to Scheels and watch three MN schools duke it out in a regional UND was hosting. Plus next years top D pairing is looking more and more like @Godsmack and @MafiaMan with @Wilbur between the pipes. 

everythings-gonna-be-ok-kenneth-parcell.gif

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

This is wild. I really don’t want to he a transfer portal team but it feels like that’s the only way we will be able to field a competitive team. Feel like we are Bobby Petrino and Missouri State right now. 

There is some appearance to your analogy.

Which corporate entity is buying BB a moped? 

There is a lot to read, and I honestly do not want to go back and read it all, so if this has been covered, I apologize.
What if most of these players that are entering the transfer portal have been told by the staff that they should enter it? Let's be honest most of these players that are entering it didn't play or were not overly exciting as players and Berry think's that they aren't going to get better. The portal has been a detriment to college sports, but it also is a good way to clean house from players that aren't cutting it anymore.