SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Recruiting

Hardcore Hawk

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Outside of the junkyard dawg Jonah Reiling here are the 5 signees I’m most excited to see.

Langden College - twitchy and long. Would be perfect for a 4-3. Get him up to 255-265 slowly and I like what I see.

Alton Williams - great frame and athletic

Wyatt Bell - quick and mean

Colton Brunell - tough bigger runner with great vision and a little wiggle 

Deng Deng - first team all boom or bust team right here

I'm rooting for Deng Deng. Would be a great ND HS story for him to pan out. He's ridiculously athletic.

11 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Really excited to see Erick Paye also.  That kid is a man among boys on the basketball court and I hope it translates to football.  He has had some of the best most explosive dunks of the year and could grow into the size we are looking for at DE or OLB.

Great kid also! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I'm rooting for Deng Deng. Would be a great ND HS story for him to pan out. He's ridiculously athletic.

Anyone else concerned that bubba speaks to his and Eric Paye’s bb skills more than actual football skills and then speaks to upside potential.  I have seen both play FB and came away very unimpressed with both.  Both athletically gifted but didn’t look the part of a D1 ability.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Anyone else concerned that bubba speaks to his and Eric Paye’s bb skills more than actual football skills and then speaks to upside potential.  I have seen both play FB and came away very unimpressed with both.  Both athletically gifted but didn’t look the part of a D1 ability.  

And that’s why they’re labeled “raw but talented”.

There certainly is risk that one or both of them don’t work out, but it’s worth the risk given athletic potential. They just need to buy in and transform into DI football players. The new strength and conditioning coach/program will be crucial, and that is an unknown right now.

As for current coaching staff, we know what we’re going to get from them from X’s and O’s standpoint by this point, not to mention leadership (mainly lack thereof) in big games, but I’ll just leave that alone for right now …

34 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And that’s why they’re labeled “raw but talented”.

There certainly is risk that one or both of them don’t work out, but it’s worth the risk given athletic potential. They just need to buy in and transform into DI football players. The new strength and conditioning coach/program will be crucial, and that is an unknown right now.

As for current coaching staff, we know what we’re going to get from them from X’s and O’s standpoint by this point, not to mention leadership (mainly lack thereof) in big games, but I’ll just leave that alone for right now …

Bubba is the only coach doing this apparently.  WDAZ interviewed Paye today and he  is still shocked to be playing football in college as he just started playing the sport 2 years ago.  

9 hours ago, ND1 said:

Someone one I trust evaluating ND HS FB talent told me Payne has P5 athleticism. He's projected to play DL at UND. That hurdle is much lower than Deng figuring out the WR position.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Someone one I trust evaluating ND HS FB talent told me Payne has P5 athleticism. He's projected to play DL at UND. That hurdle is much lower than Deng figuring out the WR position.

Ok, but once again it’s only bubba and crew seeing this as no other college moved on either of them.  Maybe they will turn out to be gems, let’s hope 

23 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Top kids are going to get picked over by the P5 real quick and then down the pecking order.
Literally thousands of kids in the transfer portal. Plenty of time to weed through that and find some new talent.
Would seem most of the ones offered right away were ones you could connect a few dots to see some sort of connection.
No one disagrees that there is a need to bring in some talent, but adding bodies just to add bodies that can't help isn't going to do any good.  

All accurate. A few things though, that give me pause. S / OLB / D-line are the positions of need. Last year, OLB was also a position of need and they didn't bring anybody in from the portal. They continually struck out on the RB offers as well. Flat out, they did not do well in the portal last year. They need to nail it this year. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Not sure why all the hate on Paye. He had an offer from MSUM and NDSU wanted him to go to their camp the day after Paye committed but he turned it down because it was a dream of his to play at UND and stay in his hometown.

He's a great kid, a freak athlete, and a hometown kid with really high potential. Not sure why UND wouldn't take a chance on him.....

Agreed!

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, ND1 said:

Watched a couple highlights of Deng Deng. You couldn't fully evaluate him at WR because it seemed a lot of the snaps he was at the QB position. Four Winds didn't have much so he would have to play multiple positions. Did see him make a handful of nice plays so I can see the upside they see in him.

Not necessarily just 2024 but I saw that Josh Morton has Augustana contracted with a company called “Athletes Thread” which contracts with athletes for NIL merchandise. It looks like the athletes arrange the contract and the company makes clothing/jerseys etc which can include school name/logo on the merchandise. I didn’t review details but looks like a good option for NIL and much cleaner than what seems to be happening in many places.