SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Wait...wasn't it also Loheit that injured Schmaltz in the UMD series last weekend?
Color me surprised, he's at it again.  Strange how these UMD players keep injuring opposing players:

https://www.uscho.com/2023/11/18/nchc-suspends-minnesota-duluths-loheit-one-game-for-major-cross-checking-penalty-nov-17-against-st-cloud-state/

Quite the captain you got over there, duhloot. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Wait...wasn't it also Loheit that injured Schmaltz in the UMD series last weekend?
Color me surprised, he's at it again.  Strange how these UMD players keep injuring opposing players:

https://www.uscho.com/2023/11/18/nchc-suspends-minnesota-duluths-loheit-one-game-for-major-cross-checking-penalty-nov-17-against-st-cloud-state/

I didn’t remember who injured Schmaltz, but he definitely took a shot at James after the whistle. Might’ve been a cross check. 

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

I watched the end of that Friday night game and Duluth got a huge break that it didn't get reviewed then and the face off moved to their end with 3 seconds left.

Loheit has some Pionk in him for sure.  

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I watched the end of that Friday night game and Duluth got a huge break that it didn't get reviewed then and the face off moved to their end with 3 seconds left.

Loheit has some Pionk in him for sure.  

There was also a hit by Loheit earlier in the game that should have been reviewed as a possible 5 minute major.  He has been very reckless lately, and you would think after the Adam Johnson tragedy, that there would be a little more respect amongst the players, as you never know when an awkward shove into the boards can turn tragic. 

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Get back to me on Saturday Evening, April 13, 2024........:wink:

Exactly, it does nothing for me now, except putting a bullseye on us going to Denver next week, that is if they can take care of Bemidji State first.   Is the overrated chant still a thing?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Good problems indeed. I really thought the most likely scenario for this squad was a first half filled with struggles as the d-core and goalie get acquainted with each other, then a Hakstol-like improvement after Christmas. But the team defense--including the forwards--has been so much better than expected. The defensemen are poised with the puck, and Persson has been excellent. The result? UND is currently tied for third nationally in goals against/game.

Getting all these new guys on the same page defensively has been a major accomplishment. Kudos to the coaching staff. 

Simpson is the slam dunk hire everybody thought Shaw was going to be. His wife being a GF native (I think, he said something to that effect) hopefully means he doesn't move on in a few years to advance his career.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

How can it do nothing for you all? I totally get it, but it's absolutely a reflection of good things for our team. Doesn't guarantee, of course, but cmon... you can't tell me it's not nice to see our favorite team's name on the top of the list.

Enjoy the dang ride!

I am enjoying the dang ride. But honestly, no one is going to remember that we finished #1 in a national poll on November 20, 2023. All that really matters is the PWR, and we are in the Top 5 right now. My main concern is not having a hiccup in one of these non-conference games we have coming up.

I'd say the best part for me is not the ranking per se, but that they look the part.  They've played some good teams and not looked out of place.  They've played some iffy teams and made them look out of place.  Can they still lose to anyone, or lose early in the tournament (if they make it), yes.  But they look like a tough out.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jk said:

I'd say the best part for me is not the ranking per se, but that they look the part.  They've played some good teams and not looked out of place.  They've played some iffy teams and made them look out of place.  Can they still lose to anyone, or lose early in the tournament (if they make it), yes.  But they look like a tough out.

Great call. They've been as good, if not better, than every team they've played this season. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL why does it have to make a memory? It's a reflection of the current point in time. Not a long-term achievement. It's ALWAYS good for the program when we have the No. 1 in front of our name, no matter the season.

Good points. I am very bullish on this team. Nice to have a true national contender again.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, jk said:

All this.   And, as you say, knowing that a very good team might not mean a banner.   But it will almost certainly mean we get to see a lot of exciting  hockey this year, and that's something to be grateful for.   Every phase has been fun to watch this year--offense, defense, and goal tending.   PP will get there--Karl has proven himself with less to work with.  

39 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

How can it do nothing for you all? I totally get it, but it's absolutely a reflection of good things for our team. Doesn't guarantee, of course, but cmon... you can't tell me it's not nice to see our favorite team's name on the top of the list.

Enjoy the dang ride!

I feel like comments on here are worse now than when the team is underachieving/"down years".