SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What do college students do these days that doesn't involve a device*? All most need is WiFi or 5G. <- Yeah, that was pretty cynical. 

*iPhone, iPad, Xbox, Galaxy, Firestick, what-have-ya-an'-such ... 

Do condoms have to be bluetooth now?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Goon said:

Draper isn't wrong.

Not a great recruiting tool, "Come to North Dakota because there is nothing to do but focus on hockey", but maybe we should take what we can get. Guess it is better than "Come to Minnesota and have a great chance to become a victim of violent crime!"

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

Not a great recruiting tool, "Come to North Dakota because there is nothing to do but focus on hockey", but maybe we should take what we can get. Guess it is better than "Come to Minnesota and have a great chance to become of victim of violent crime!"

Some players might see that as a positive.  ;)  :) 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, brianvf said:

Some players might see that as a positive.  ;)  :) 

I am going to agree with @brianvf here, not having a lot of distractions could be seen as a good thing. If you like freezing your a$$ off in the winter. :) 

2 hours ago, Goon said:

I am going to agree with @brianvf here, not having a lot of distractions could be seen as a good thing. If you like freezing your a$$ off in the winter. :) 

.....and who doesn't like their diploma coming from NDSU?!?!

20 hours ago, tnt said:

Not a great recruiting tool, "Come to North Dakota because there is nothing to do but focus on hockey", but maybe we should take what we can get. Guess it is better than "Come to Minnesota and have a great chance to become a victim of violent crime!"

not that duluth is totally safe and clean but how soon before the state of minnesota moves it's main campus to Duluth and the branch campus will be in murderapolis?...........

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

not that duluth is totally safe and clean but how soon before the state of minnesota moves it's main campus to Duluth and the branch campus will be in murderapolis?...........

Never. The powers that be will not allow it. 

On 7/7/2023 at 2:41 PM, stoneySIOUX said:

I love this board so much. I'll I know is, when I visit my parents, who are in their late 60s, they spend JUST AS MUCH TIME buried in their devices as my nieces and nephews do :D

Yep. My mom is 81 and she has her phone and ipad always nearby and of course her desktop computer that she really only uses for solitaire

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Banner said:

Last time I checked college kids are only concerned with partying, co-eds, sports and school. They don't have money left after all of that. 

Pretty much, except that you left out elizabethan poetry and organic chem.  

On 7/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Your good idea tally just clicked down TWO that idea was so bad. Sorry. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Your good idea tally just clicked down TWO that idea was so bad. Sorry. 

this one was tongue in cheek....not serious...does not count against my "ideas" tally. but looking back in the day when u of m was announced....duluth was the obvious choice like most of other big 10 schools having their main campus outside of the big city...madison, east lansing, ann arbor, champaign, happy valley............

Article that discusses many of the players already gathering in GF, 3rd assistant coaching hires, and transfer portal numbers:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-players-return-to-campus-to-begin-preparations-for-2023-24-season

"We started this a few years ago where they come in for four or five weeks on a voluntary basis," UND coach Brad Berry said. "It gives them a chance to integrate together. The student-athletes are getting to campus to see what it's all about when the lights aren't shining bright. The pressure isn't there. They can get to work on summer school, attending classes and learn a little about the culture and UND hockey at a slower time in the summer. So, when they do come in August, they're used to it and they can hit the ground running."

Most teams in the NCHC have hired a 3rd goalie already:

That leaves UND, Denver and Minnesota Duluth without one. All three are expected to make hires, though. The Bulldogs have posted their job. UND and Denver have not.

"We're currently working through that," UND athletic director Bill Chaves said.

It is now at 203 transfers. Last year, there were 173.

Augustana, which is entering its first year as a Division-I program, leads the way with 14. Robert Morris, which is returning to Division-I this fall, is second with 10.

Atlanta Hockey leads all conferences with 42 incoming transfers. The Central Collegiate Hockey Association has 41, followed by Hockey East (30), the NCHC (27), the Big Ten (25), and the ECAC (21). There are 17 players transferring to independent programs.