SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/unds-nhl-draft-class-headliner-jayden-perron-is-a-difference-maker-with-skill-creativity

"You start with his hockey intelligence," an NHL scout said. "The way he sees the rink is pretty special. He's a guy where, when you're watching, you can see a play being made, but then he'll make an even better play you didn't expect. He has that elite creativity and playmaking ability. He's more well-rounded than people give him credit for. He has a good shot. He's a good enough skater to create room and he has a competitive side to him that's very underrated."

"I think his hockey IQ is elite," Berry said. "He always makes a difference on the ice every shift when he has the puck. He knows the next play all the time, whether it's five-on-five or on the power play. He's a threat every time he's on the ice. He has great edges and ability. I think he's very dynamic when he has the puck."

"I believe he took a step in his second year in the USHL, becoming a dominant player," Berry said. "You look at a path like Jackson Blake's as well. You never know how it's going to translate to college in their first season, but coming in from the same program worked pretty well for Blake. They're different players, but they're both very high-end, offensive, gifted, smart players. Jayden is going to have to earn everything, but he has an opportunity as a freshman to do special things."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-mock-draft-2023-post-lottery-blackhawks-connor-bedard/ahlnbsgeq8kvbzk8kt5ykwv5

Sporting News mock has Perron going No. 29 to STL

https://www.lines.com/nhl/drafts

Never heard of these guys, but they did a full mock. Perron first pick of the third round (65), Strathmann (77) and Emerson (142) in the fifth round.

9 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I don’t think so. He committed out of the Sioux Falls Power program. 

Ok. That makes sense.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So Dakota Dunes, SD, is better? :)

(Ferner) 

At least that is close enough to Sioux City.

Its a bit of a haul to get from Heron Lake to SF.

Darn, Windom or Worthington missed out on a stud goalie then.

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Ok. That makes sense.

At least that is close enough to Sioux City.

Its a bit of a haul to get from Heron Lake to SF.

Darn, Windom or Worthington missed out on a stud goalie then.

Right. I was trying to think of what high school programs near Heron Lake had hockey programs. They were in my high school’s section for track when I was in high school and were consolidated with Okabena and Lakefield and Brewster at the time. 

5 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Right. I was trying to think of what high school programs near Heron Lake had hockey programs. They were in my high school’s section for track when I was in high school and were consolidated with Okabena and Lakefield and Brewster at the time. 

Windom is typically middle of the road in the section.

Worthington.... well lets just say they focus their efforts on other sports (their demographics are a bit different).

Probably made the wise decision to go elsewhere.

Kato Schools and New Ulm rule the roost in 3A now, with the occasional spurt from Luverne. 

Hobey

Skated in The Windom program until I think his freshman year in HS and then went with the power program in SF. Good family and good kid. Know the family well as that was the rink that I oversaw. until retiring. Excited to see him attending UND. My season tickets will be used alot the next four years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/five-undrafted-und-players-accept-invites-to-nhl-development-camps

Five undrafted Fighting Hawks players have accepted invites to participate in NHL development camps this summer.

Fifth-year senior defenseman Garrett Pyke and rookie blue liner Tanner Komzak are currently in Las Vegas working out with the defending Stanley Cup champion Vegas Golden Knights.

Goaltender Ludvig Persson is attending development camp with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Forward Louis Jamernik V will attend development camp with the Winnipeg Jets.

Forward Riese Gaber, who is expected to be one of college hockey's most coveted free agents next spring, will attend camp with the Florida Panthers.

A couple of UND's undrafted players who attended NHL development camps in the past have opted not to attend one this summer.

UND fifth-year senior defenseman Keaton Pehrson skated with the San Jose Sharks in 2021 and the Philadelphia Flyers in 2022, but passed this year in order to get settled in Grand Forks.

UND incoming freshman defenseman Jake Livanavage participated in development camp with his hometown Arizona Coyotes last summer, but also opted against doing a camp this summer.

Most Fighting Hawks players are expected to return to Grand Forks next weekend and begin voluntary training for the 2023-24 while attending summer school.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Draper isn't wrong.

When the Red Wings drafted James, director of amateur scouting Kris Draper joked that he was glad James was going to North Dakota because there was not much to do there. He would have plenty of time to concentrate on hockey. James said Draper was correct. But he recently bought a guitar because he wants to learn how to play.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Goon said:

Draper isn't wrong.

"Is there anything to down in this town besides eat?"

"Tons of stuff! Late night pitch and putt. We could go to the livestock auction and cruise the 4H babes. Throw stuff off a bridge. What do you feel like doin'?"

• Upvote 2