SiouxSports.com Forum

Here comes the Clowns for round 2.

Wilbur

On 2/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, siouxfaninseattle said:

So you are referring to Hain and Senden. Hain took a stupid penalty 16 seconds into the Friday game, grabbing a guy by the head and throwing him on the ice. Then he follows that up with a dangerous slewfooting penalty for five and game. That is not the type of play that results in deserving to play. At least Senden scored. Neither should necessarily sit for the rest of the season but if the team is to be better next season the younger guys need to play. This season is toast.

The amount of Sioux fans who did not think that was a penalty amazes me.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kevin G said:

Given how down we are on the team right now, as well as the Jekyll-and-Hyde nature of this team…we’ll probably sweep the Huskies this weekend. 

Yeah, not seeing any scenario where Sioux sweep the Huskies this weekend.  I'm just hoping for some points.

A little bit of good news for this weekend:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-center-jake-schmaltz-will-return-to-lineup-for-st-cloud-state-series

Schmaltz, who sustained an upper-body injury on Jan. 27 at Miami and missed the last three games, will be back in the lineup for this weekend's home series against St. Cloud State (7:07 p.m. Friday, 6:07 p.m. Saturday, Ralph Engelstad Arena).

Schmaltz's faceoff percentage of 56.2 percent is the best on the team, and without him, the Fighting Hawks had their worst night in the dot in a three-and-a-half years Saturday at Denver.

The Pioneers went 42-23 in faceoffs against UND in the series finale. It was UND's worst win-loss disparity since Oct. 18, 2019, at Minnesota State-Mankato. The Mavericks were 47-26 that night.

It was a big factor in special teams Saturday. Denver scored three power-play goals, while UND went 0-for-6 with the advantage, repeatedly losing draws to start power plays.

"Losing draws clean, when teams rip pucks back, it gives them more time to set up, especially on the power play," Berry said. "We gave up two penalty-kill goals off direct faceoff losses. You have to get that faceoff win and clear in order to have a good opportunity to kill the penalty."

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

So who sits as he returns?

Or the easier questions is who won't?

If Berry keeps the same center group as last weekend of Senden/Jammer/OwenMc/Ness or Strinden...then I would guess Ness sits, Strinden moves to forward (like he did for Saturday's game). 

4 hours ago, omahasioux1 said:

The amount of Sioux fans who did not think that was a penalty amazes me.

I think most fans who watched the game and the replay knew it was a penalty on Hain...the issue is it was the 3rd penalty of the game and the first two were let go.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Slew foot is a slew foot. 

I was talking about the penalty on Friday night.

As far as Saturday night it was a penalty in my opinion. The only question I had was how as it called? Was it a linesman informing a ref or was it  a challenge from the Denver bench? Have not heard which if either of these things led to the penalty call because both referees obviously missed it.

2 hours ago, brianvf said:

If Berry keeps the same center group as last weekend of Senden/Jammer/OwenMc/Ness or Strinden...then I would guess Ness sits, Strinden moves to forward (like he did for Saturday's game). 

The correct answer for the center group moving forward is.....

8 22 18 21

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No goaltending stats? GAA? Save %?

I'd love to see the xG analytics too....... :wink:

I've been digging around in InStats and I have yet to find the metric xGs. I'll keep looking. I can post the goaltending stats.