SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Tucked casually into Tom Miller’s Fall Camp Day 4 recap was this observation. FWIW, I’ve observed good defensive trends, as well, in my limited early looks at this year’s Hawks:

• The defense disrupted more plays than usual Saturday with pressure at the quarterback. Jaelen Johnson, Josh Navratil and Devin Hembry all had quarterback "sacks" in the non-contact team drills.

Still a lot to be determined if these are sustained trends or flashes in the pan. Whether it’s  a simplified playbook or chip on their collective shoulders or both, it’s encouraging. All that said, the defensive side of the ball usually comes out of the gates faster in fall camp and the O plays catch up. And Depth at linebacker is still a concern. However a few young LBs have come in with the right body types and are vying to play sooner than later. 

Buckle up!

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Tucked casually into Tom Miller’s Fall Cap Day 4 recap was this observation. FWIW, I’ve observed good defensive trends, as well, in my limited early looks at this year’s Hawks:

• The defense disrupted more plays than usual Saturday with pressure at the quarterback. Jaelen Johnson, Josh Navratil and Devin Hembry all had quarterback "sacks" in the non-contact team drills.

Still a lot to be determined if these are sustained trends and or flashes in the pan. Whether it’s  a simplified playbook or chip on their collective shoulders or both, it’s encouraging. All that said, the defensive side of the ball usually comes out of the gates faster in fall camp and the O plays catch up. And Depth at linebacker is still a concern. However a few young LBs have come in with the right body types and are vying to play sooner than later. 

Buckle up!

The encouraging part is we have a ton returning on offense so the defense coming out of the gate faster should a bit tougher to do.   Hopefully a sign of good things to come

1 minute ago, homer said:

The encouraging part is we have a ton returning on offense so the defense coming out of the gate faster should a bit tougher to do.   Hopefully a sign of good things to come

Indeed, the real test will happen next week when full pads and more contact starts to be allowed. But then my anxiety also rises due to risk of stupid practice injuries. I’m never settled. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Tucked casually into Tom Miller’s Fall Camp Day 4 recap was this observation. FWIW, I’ve observed good defensive trends, as well, in my limited early looks at this year’s Hawks:

Still a lot to be determined if these are sustained trends or flashes in the pan. Whether it’s  a simplified playbook or chip on their collective shoulders or both, it’s encouraging. All that said, the defensive side of the ball usually comes out of the gates faster in fall camp and the O plays catch up. And Depth at linebacker is still a concern. However a few young LBs have come in with the right body types and are vying to play sooner than later. 

Buckle up!

I did catch that about the defense. If they can disrupt what will likely be one of the top offenses in the league, things are heading in a good direction. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I did catch that about the defense. If they can disrupt what will likely be one of the top offenses in the league, things are heading in a good direction. 

I'm sad to report that I took this to mean the OL isn't as good as it should be. :)

Also, with Hembry getting one it must have been a CB sack. Can't recall the last time I saw that.

44 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm sad to report that I took this to mean the OL isn't as good as it should be. :)

Also, with Hembry getting one it must have been a CB sack. Can't recall the last time I saw that.

You’re right, what was I thinking…. :wink:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Hoping Navratil becomes a consistent playmaker for us at OLB this year. 

Me too… if you watch last year’s recap of the UNI game at the Alerus, you will see the Navratil we all know is there at OLB. But strangely after that game, his noticeable presence kind of tapered off. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Me too… if you watch last year’s recap of the UNI game at the Alerus, you will see the Navratil we all know is there at OLB. But strangely after that game, his noticeable presence kind of tapered off. 

This is the year of McNealy.

1 hour ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

I don't know if you have answered this, but it appears the Champions Club pre-sale is going on right now and tickets go on sale to the public tomorrow at 10:00AM.

Yes I picked up a couple more Bison game tickets.  $70/each.  Also bought 2 more season tickets for $125/each.

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Yes I picked up a couple more Bison game tickets.  $70/each.  Also bought 2 more season tickets for $125/each.

Also bought a couple of season tickets today to ensure that I have tickets for the 'SU game, although I'll probably be lucky to get to two games, being 680 miles away.