SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

If I could make one change right now I'd bring in Dale Lennon (interim) to light a fire. 

The SD schools* have figured it out: Punch NDSU in the mouth first and you'll win. Not sure Bubba has that mindset. Dale did. 

*One in Frisco; one Saturday. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

If I could make one change right now I'd bring in Dale Lennon (interim) to light a fire. 

The SD schools* have figured it out: Punch NDSU in the mouth first and you'll win. Not sure Bubba has that mindset. Dale did. 

A fire is exactly what's needed...

Case in point...we force a fumble on Saturday but it's called back for an inadvertent whistle.  While atrocious from the stripes...it wasn't going to change the outcome...but it was a PERFECT opportunity for a coach to light up the officials and show that fire that we so desperately needed.  Did that happen?  Nope...then we gave up a long return and ultimately another score.  It felt like the perfect microcosm of what ails UND football to me.

I appreciate the class it took to not do that...but sometimes it's needed.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND wins this Saturday. If....if UND loses to NDSU but it's close? Gets boat raced by 2 or more scores? 7-4 or worse?

#decadebydecade

It instills confidence!!

Decade #1 steady the ship.

Decade #2, get bigger and stronger.

Some of you have no patience!!

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I agree with this premise, for sure. What you’re seeking and referring to is leadership - Dale had that, thus he was a championship head coach. But the Dale Lennon / Bubba Schweigert highlight years are over. Sooner we move on, sooner we put ourselves in a position to be better than NDSU and SDSU. The recent cowardness of UND in big games is just plain awful and unacceptable. And it highlights a lack of leadership (starts with the HC).

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, UND08 said:

A fire is exactly what's needed...

Case in point...we force a fumble on Saturday but it's called back for an inadvertent whistle.  While atrocious from the stripes...it wasn't going to change the outcome...but it was a PERFECT opportunity for a coach to light up the officials and show that fire that we so desperately needed.  Did that happen?  Nope...then we gave up a long return and ultimately another score.  It felt like the perfect microcosm of what ails UND football to me.

I appreciate the class it took to not do that...but sometimes it's needed.

For what it is worth, Bubba was visibly pissed on the sideline after that inadvertent whistle, but he didn’t portray “fight” and “fire” to his team. They went right ahead and followed the blunder up with an allowed big return. This is reflective of a soft team. Bubba’s leadership is overall poor, and his body language and communication does not resonate with his teams. It’s over, there’s no hope for a championship with Bubba as HC.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It instills confidence!!

Decade #1 steady the ship.

Decade #2, get bigger and stronger.

Some of you have no patience!!

I agree; by 2030 we should hopefully be in position for a national championship … hopefully everyone on this board is alive and well by that point to witness it! 

also, when und is bigger and stronger in decade #3, will we then stop playing to not lose and start actually playing to win big games??

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

4-4 so far.......any changes with USD beating the bizons in fargo?

13 hours ago, Dustin said:

How much do Kelly and Matt have to reserve their true feelings regarding the season/program because of Shannon?

and when he/they did get a little salty devon kraznshhizi put em in their place and kelly didn't fire back too hard......they had a great opportunity to point out that when you grab d2 talent you get d2 results #stayinyourd2lane

I get tired of this throw the coaches out everytime we loose dam football game when rest of the world knows that we have good football team. yes we have struggled in Division I football to get to elite level of teams but that was facing us when we moved to division I.  The resources haven't been here to make that jump happened and we were told that from the beginning. Also to get here we have had to sacrifice number of other sports from UND to stay in budget. Second we were next NDSU where football is king and at UND its second this has had big effect on recruiting and our location media attention to attract players. The move back to Missouri Valley has helped in recruiting and recent up grades to facilities for football is help. Second our pay structure is that we have hard time to retain coaches here look we have coaches at NDSU and SDSU who have left here went to them. I also wonder some here are so against past coaches that have led up to Bubba i wonder if there is more to the critiism from past history with UND and these coaches.  I would love to see some postive posting and things we could improve this years results.

• Downvote 2

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

C'mon, they guy they didn't hire is only the HC of the Washington Huskies today. :crazy:

Ouch! …

but hey, everyone, leave poor Bubba alone. He’s trying his damnedest…  and at UND football, that is all you can ask for. 20 years of participation awards …

12 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I get tired of this throw the coaches out everytime we loose dam football game when rest of the world knows that we have good football team. yes we have struggled in Division I football to get to elite level of teams but that was facing us when we moved to division I.  The resources haven't been here to make that jump happened and we were told that from the beginning. Also to get here we have had to sacrifice number of other sports from UND to stay in budget. Second we were next NDSU where football is king and at UND its second this has had big effect on recruiting and our location media attention to attract players. The move back to Missouri Valley has helped in recruiting and recent up grades to facilities for football is help. Second our pay structure is that we have hard time to retain coaches here look we have coaches at NDSU and SDSU who have left here went to them. I also wonder some here are so against past coaches that have led up to Bubba i wonder if there is more to the critiism from past history with UND and these coaches.  I would love to see some postive posting and things we could improve this years results.

You want positive posting?

UND *can* win the rest of the games on their schedule and go 9-2 and host/win playoff games. Still possible that UND beats NDSU, which could have huge recruiting ramifications to help UND over the next few years.

Any elaboration or further rhetoric beyond that would probably be considered “negative” posting, so will stop here. 

Someone said it a while back, the clock for catching the XDSUs didn't really begin until UND joined the MVFC.  Before that, our football program just floundered in an abyss from 2008 to 2020.  I didn't mind the Big Sky, but it really wasn't our school's identity.  I think the recruiting pipelines have gotten better since then.  Wisconsin, Iowa.  Wouldn't people say this last class is among the best (at least on paper)?  I know it sucks not to be top dog now, but the waiting is the hardest part.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1