SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I predict we go undefeated this season....and roll through the playoffs and not only win them all, but win them all by 2-3 scores and we roll in Frisco with a 20 point win.  There, now I'm a true winner.  

P.S. And no city sidewalks get pissed on in Frisco after our victory. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, wheelsup said:

This is one of those terrible takes.. as if we lose to the near unanimous preseason best team in the FCS.. and a legit FBS team both on the road early in the season it is somehow over and the team is destined for mediocrity.  Not to mention if you somehow accept anything less than 3-1 or 4-0 that you have accepted mediocrity personally.  That is quite a nuanced view :).

Now if we are 3-3 after 6 games Ill start lining up a little closer to your negative view, but will be counting on a strong finish and multiple playoff wins.  By the way.. Ill still be at every home game this year wearing my kelly green colored glasses expecting Bubba and the crew to get the job done.  Im beyond excited about the offense this year and think the defense is going to improve enough for us to have an incredible year.

Again, winning the games UND is supposed to win and losing the games that UND is supposed to lose … again and again …will never allow UND to ascend. Your long winded excuse is just that … an excuse. Win or lose, not complicated. Succeed or fail. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

I predict we go undefeated this season....and roll through the playoffs and not only win them all, but win them all by 2-3 scores and we roll in Frisco with a 20 point win.  There, now I'm a true winner.  

P.S. And no city sidewalks get pissed on in Frisco after our victory. 

Piss is the least of their worries with gfhockey on the prowl 

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, wheelsup said:

This is one of those terrible takes.. as if we lose to the near unanimous preseason best team in the FCS.. and a legit FBS team both on the road early in the season it is somehow over and the team is destined for mediocrity.  Not to mention if you somehow accept anything less than 3-1 or 4-0 that you have accepted mediocrity personally.  That is quite a nuanced view :).

Now if we are 3-3 after 6 games Ill start lining up a little closer to your negative view, but will be counting on a strong finish and multiple playoff wins.  By the way.. Ill still be at every home game this year wearing my kelly green colored glasses expecting Bubba and the crew to get the job done.  Im beyond excited about the offense this year and think the defense is going to improve enough for us to have an incredible year.

2-2 is okay but 3-3 isn’t? Bunch of random crap here.

I guess I hope UND football is better than a forever 7-4 program; hence, the reason I hope they don’t start 2-2 and pull off a major upset to take the program to the next level. Sorry for wanting and expecting more. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I guess I hope UND football is better than a forever 7-4 program; hence, the reason I hope they don’t start 2-2 and pull off a major upset to take the program to the next level. Sorry for wanting and expecting more. 

If they start 2-2, and then finish 9-2 and get a playoff seed, are we all of a sudden accepting mediocrity? Obviously all of us want a major upset, but there is still a path to a great season after starting 2-2. That’s all we are saying. The difference between 2-2 and 3-3 is bigger than you think. This team needs to finally do it and beat NDSU at home. If not, then I would start to be a bit more negative or critical. 

I think we have these same arguments over and over with you, but in the end we all are basically in agreement. I doubt there is anyone on this forum that would say a 7-4 season with a first round playoff exit is ok. Our expectations have to be higher than that and I believe they are. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The difference between 2-2 and 3-3 is that at 3-3 we prob lost to NDSU at home.  Losing to NDSU at home versus SDSU and Boise state on the road are significantly different with respect to the overall direction of the team.

All I’m saying is give this years team a chance before you jump off the bandwagon.  They look to be significantly improved over last year to me and so I have high expectations and even if they start 2-2 they still have a great path to a great season. 

49 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

If they start 2-2, and then finish 9-2 and get a playoff seed, are we all of a sudden accepting mediocrity?

This won’t happen. It did happen in 2016, but that was another textbook choke job playoff performance. If UnD goes 2-2 in 2023 (this season), then 9-2 likely ain’t happening, but crazier things have happened. My simple point is that UND needs to go 3-1 or 4-0 to make this a special season, and not the same ol, same ol. It’s a prediction, sure, but I’m confident in it.

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This won’t happen. It did happen in 2016, but that was another textbook choke job playoff performance. If UnD goes 2-2 in 2023 (this season), then 9-2 likely ain’t happening, but crazier things have happened. My simple point is that UND needs to go 3-1 or 4-0 to make this a special season, and not the same ol, same ol. It’s a prediction, sure, but I’m confident in it.

Let the team take the field before writing them off. 

There are ugly ways to get to 3-1 and a team can look ok getting to 2-2.  It has nothing to do with accepting mediocrity 

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, homer said:

Let the team take the field before writing them off. 

That’s exactly what I’m doing - I’m excited to see how they look. I’m just saying I want to see this program start fast for once and not put themselves behind the 8 ball. Do something that suggests you’re advancing the program, Bubba, and not keeping it status quo. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How would your outlook be if they were 4-2 after the first 6 games? Meaning they beat either Boise, SDSU, or NDSU at home.

I’m going out on a limb and saying we beat both SU’s this year. But we’ll probably stumble in a road game like UNI or USD. 9-2 is achievable, but what really matters is that they get to the playoff quarterfinals at a minimum. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

@UND-FB-FAN If you were in charge we would be in Missouri State's position.  You lost all credibility imo.  It takes time to build a consistently winning program, year after year.  Read a little about delayed gratification maybe.  UND is one of 11 teams to make the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and our facilities aren't even built yet.  The program is and will continue to get better.

alerus center has been around for over 20 years and pollard a couple.  it's not the facilities holding us back.

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

How would your outlook be if they were 4-2 after the first 6 games? Meaning they beat either Boise, SDSU, or NDSU at home.

I think this is most probable, and as such I think 8-3 happens with a home playoff win and second round playoff loss (1-1 in playoffs like spring 2021). Some may call that a good season, but with the amount of seniors on this team, I don’t see how that is true progress. I would call that status quo, and this team/program under Bubba would remain years away from anything close to a championship.

Bottom line, next step for this team is 2 playoff wins, and I think beating Boise or SDSU shows the team is capable of that (both to us as fans but also to the team themselves).