SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

The 12 second attention span must be the reason that long form conversation based podcasts have exploded over the last 5 plus years.

The 12 second attention span came from a study.

When teens search for something on the net, if they do not find what they’re looking for in 12 seconds they go to another site.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, shep said:

The 12 second attention span came from a study.

When teens search for something on the net, if they do not find what they’re looking for in 12 seconds they go to another site.

Shoot. I'm way younger than I thought by that standard. :D  

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

If you want a city that thinks like you, might I recommend Fargo or Lincoln. (Note I didn't say Brookings or Vermillion. They are still probably too BB minded for you. And not the Twin Cities because the Wild overshadow the Wolves much of the time, and when the Vikings are out and hockey is starting.) 

Very familiar with those places. I’ve lived near or in all of them. Hey …Eureka!   Don’t like NDSU. UND alum. Minneapolis is actually quite football friendly. Despite what you said about Minnesota Wild, and the notion that it’s in the state of hockey, Minneapolis is actually a Vikings (NFL/football) town, far and away. 

But in actuality, far more places than Fargo, Lincoln, and Minneapolis think football is #1.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

But you've said there's no hockey interest in the state yet go on stating its absence creates ticket demand for UND? 

Whoa … stop with the false hyperbole. I said football is more popular, never said or meant to imply that there’s no hockey interest in the state. There obviously is hockey interest in ND. The facility (100M REA) is a major draw, no matter what’s being played in it.

40 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Alerus Center opened on Feb 10, 2001, and cost $80 million*. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alerus_Center 

*2001 dollars

Yes, correct. Doesn’t change a thing I stated. Football (and UND as a whole) would be a on a whole different (and better) level if that investment was $100M - not $80 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Engelstad_Arena) - and was put towards UND football on campus and not an off-campus multi-purpose city owned convention center. My gripe really isn’t against the Alerus Center, though; rather, it’s the REA. That should be a football facility, not hockey. But, we are where we are. Have to move forward … and hopefully correct past error? And no, I’m not implying that REA is going to be converted into a football facility. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

L: @Boise, @SDSU, @UNI*

*hangover game; I've said what I've said.

This did remind me that I had a dream last night about UND football and we were absolutely smoking the Bison. While I don't anticipate us smoking them, it is time to get that W. It should have happened in 2021; can't miss out this year.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2023 at 6:16 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Sounds simple; just win. But a lot more goes on behind the scenes than “just win”. UND isn’t consistently beating NDSU until UND football is taken more seriously by its own athletic department, fans, and supporters.  UND-NDSU in the division I era has been completely one sided. The 2021 contest that was close on the scoreboard only showcased how inept the brain trust leading UND football right now is.

It is...and it isn't as simple as just winning.  You see teams with lesser talent and lesser facilities win all the time.  Did we have a huge change in facilities and money/support for UND football from 1985 to 1993, when we went from dogs.....to beating NDSU?  The coaches got it done.  Weber used to be the whipping boy of the Big Sky....they got a new coach and boom they turned it around.  Not sure if they had any major change in football funding at that time, maybe they did I don't know.  Obviously for long term success we need to improve our facilities etc. etc. etc..  But the coaches and team need to find away to beat NDSU....this year.  Beat them two years in a row......then a kid who gets recruited by both schools....starts to consider UND, you start getting better players.....it starts snowballing.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, N of GF said:

I'm asking you seriously, do you actually follow baseball? I think it's fucking incredible how MLB is actively telling their fans that they don't like the game like it's been played for... a long fucking time.

No I don't follow baseball all that closely these days actually.   I will rephrase my comment......"Baseball needed shorter games" to....I can see why the decided to do it......as games did often drag out and get long.   I'm sure they will analyze it after the season and maybe make some adjustments.  Sure as a baseball purist I can see why you might hate it.  But the shot clock in basketball sure make the game more fun to watch, and if baseball can cut out 20-25 minutes of the batters adjusting their nuts and helmet between pitches...might not be a bad thing.  

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

You see teams with lesser talent and lesser facilities win all the time.

They can win some of the time, if they have good coaching - like you said - but the teams with the top talent and best facilities win most of the time.

In the context of FCS football, NDSU has very good talent, coaching, and facilities. UND needs to catch up with the coaching and facilities, and most obviously with the talent. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

An express branch of the campus shuttle monorail system (Union to Joe Black's) would solve that also. ;) 

@MafiaMan and @Blackheart can explain. :D  

Is that similar to the monorail in Shelbyville?;)  Anyway, the students all leave the game at halftime so there's plenty of time to get to your favorite downtown spot.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I haven't seen one but I am sure they got one somehow.  Love what I am hearing about the OL and DL!

It all starts up front, so if indeed improved there on both O and D, then team will be better as well. Time will tell. Plenty of challenges ahead. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

It all starts up front, so if indeed improved there on both O and D, then team will be better as well. Time will tell. Plenty of challenges ahead. 

Kelly said, "We can win with this line" talking about the OLine. 

Having Kilty at LT allows Ventrelli to go to Guard where he should be an NFL prospect. Anderson at RT and Hagen as a Guard should be good too and there's lots of depth this year. Still worried about Lotysz. I really liked watching him. He has a snarl to him but still has an ankle issue.

16 hours ago, Hambone said:

UNDFB360 Spring Football Review - UND Football 360

Good podcast thus far.  They are talking about fall depth chart - anyone know if that was released?  I can't seem to find it.  Some interesting movement along the OL.

Great listen as always. Offensively line shuffle was surprising, but exciting. Get the guys in the position they feel their skills can be optimized. Two things I'll be watching are Borud and Anderson. Lots of Borud talk for the short time he's been on campus. Kelly did mention it, but what kind of jump can Anderson make this year? Wish they spent the same amount of time on the Defense as the Offense. 

My big takeaway defensively, was more the discussion about what went wrong last year. The simplifying mentality / new DC will really help. I've talked myself into the D-Line / CB positions being slightly above average. ILB / Safety being average. You can win with some positional groups being average. Only group I'm worried about is OLB. They were awful last year and I wouldn't be surprised if they were worse this year.

This team NEEDS a OLB and a RB from the portal in the bad way.