SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #3....We head to the John.

Wilbur

Well, the Q exposed us a bit defensively, but that's okay.  Early season kicks to the nuts are better than ones that end your season in March.

We best have a good film session on defensive zone coverage because the Gophs have a few good forwards on their team that buzz a bit.  

Coaches...

Please....19-27-10, and put Blake with Gaber and Schmaltz.:)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Well, the Q exposed us a bit defensively, but that's okay.  Early season kicks to the nuts are better than ones that end your season in March.

We best have a good film session on defensive zone coverage because the Gophs have a few good forwards on their team that buzz a bit.  

Coaches...

Please....19-27-10, and put Blake with Gaber and Schmaltz.:)

I’d rather keep Gaber and McLaughlin on the same line, but we could find another winger for them and go back to 19-27-10 and I’d be cool with that. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND wants to play with speed.
Q wanted to clog it up and slow it down.
Goldie wants to play with speed on their glacier. 

Can they flip styles and get rid of the defensive gawking in a week. 

All the space on Mariucci's ice surface isn't exactly a cure for bad defensive coverage.  Now they have to worry about proper gapping with all the extra room.  Thankfully they have the Olympic ice surface at the Ralph to at least have some time to prepare. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Did Kunz's roughing penalty when we were going to be on the power play against Quinnipiac earn him a weekend sitting at home?   Does Ness get put back in the lineup this weekend?

Yes, if he doesn't do that they could possibly get a pp goal that ties it at three. Bubs needs to send a message.

59 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Where do you put Judd?

McLaughlin has been too good early on to not have some skill around him.

I would put him with Ness/Strinden and Albrecht/James.  

I agree on McLaughlin.  Maybe you go 9-22-17, and then 18-8-28.

I think putting Gaber together with Blake is an experiment that has to happen.  Just got a feeling that those two gel. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

UND wants to play with speed.
Q wanted to clog it up and slow it down.
Goldie wants to play with speed on their glacier. 

Can they flip styles and get rid of the defensive gawking in a week. 

I'd have to watch again, as I thought Q played aggressive hockey in all zones.   Those guys kept their feet moving and played their positions.  I wouldn't say they slowed it down, but you do have cred with me.   

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I would put him with Ness/Strinden and Albrecht/James.  

I agree on McLaughlin.  Maybe you go 9-22-17, and then 18-8-28.

I think putting Gaber together with Blake is an experiment that has to happen.  Just got a feeling that those two gel. 

Those are my thoughts exactly along with the obvious of 19-27-10. I said this weekend after friday night when I thought McLaughlin may have been the best player on the ice that it was inevitable that 9-22-17 found there way on a line together. My only concern is finding James a line. When Berry went to 3 lines on friday night down 3, he put him with 17 and 22 and wasn't out of place. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Those are my thoughts exactly along with the obvious of 19-27-10. I said this weekend after friday night when I thought McLaughlin may have been the best player on the ice that it was inevitable that 9-22-17 found there way on a line together. My only concern is finding James a line. When Berry went to 3 lines on friday night down 3, he put him with 17 and 22 and wasn't out of place. 

Agree on James. He's better than wasting his talent on a few 4th line shifts.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I actually said during Friday’s game: “Hear me out, a Gaber-McLaughlin-James top line” 

I know they have James in the bottom 6 because he’s versatile enough that he can fit there, but it feels like a waste of his talent at times. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, tnt said:

Did Kunz's roughing penalty when we were going to be on the power play against Quinnipiac earn him a weekend sitting at home?

Son, I’ve seen some dumb penalties in my day and despite the boos from the students who obviously weren’t paying attention when it happened, that one was as DUMB as they come.  

Here are my thoughts on the lines against Minny on just what I have seen so far and a bit of commentary on why:

Gaber          Schmaltz           Blake

Hain             Senden              Jamernik

Costantini   McLaughlin        James

Ness            Strinden             Caulfield                   Extra Forward: Kunz/Albrecht

Frisch           Kleven

Moore          Jandric

Farmer        Johnson

DeRidder

We have a great wealth on center on this team, but we need the best face off guy with Blake and Gaber, and that is Schmaltz right now.  Defensively this is not a great line, and I would play Kleven and Frisch with them as much as possible.  I could see McLaughlin swapping with Schmaltz, without a lot of issues.  Costantini needs to play on a scoring line, and being with McLaughlin I think is a great way to bring in a little more offense.  Strinden needs to get some more time, and I think this could be a great heavy line.  They may not see a great deal of ice time on the big sheet in Minny (Probably 10-13 minutes of 5x5).  I think Kunz plays Saturday in place of Ness in that swap with Ness.  I had seen a lot of DeRidder the last couple of years and he is a great goaltender.  He will prove that in the future.  The D will get themselves together and I like the Sidorski/Johnson line as Sidorski is a little more defensive minded and can back up Johnson or Bast when he gets back.

James and Hain are interchangeable. They are top 6 and top 6A. Unfortunately Judd has been an underwhelming enigma for 3+ years. He isn't a top 9 guy right now. Farmer was our best defenseman vs Q and it wasn't close.  No way he should sit. He wasn't on the ice for 6 goals this past series. On big ice Ness Strinden Albrecht could more than hold their own as a 4th line.

6 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

Here are my thoughts on the lines against Minny on just what I have seen so far and a bit of commentary on why:

Gaber          Schmaltz           Blake

Hain             Senden              Jamernik

Costantini   McLaughlin        James

Ness            Strinden             Caulfield                   Extra Forward: Kunz/Albrecht

Frisch           Kleven

Moore          Jandric

Sidorski       Johnson

DeRidder

We have a great wealth on center on this team, but we need the best face off guy with Blake and Gaber, and that is Schmaltz right now.  Defensively this is not a great line, and I would play Kleven and Frisch with them as much as possible.  I could see McLaughlin swapping with Schmaltz, without a lot of issues.  Costantini needs to play on a scoring line, and being with McLaughlin I think is a great way to bring in a little more offense.  Strinden needs to get some more time, and I think this could be a great heavy line.  They may not see a great deal of ice time on the big sheet in Minny (Probably 10-13 minutes of 5x5).  I think Kunz plays Saturday in place of Ness in that swap with Ness.  I had seen a lot of DeRidder the last couple of years and he is a great goaltender.  He will prove that in the future.  The D will get themselves together and I like the Sidorski/Johnson line as Sidorski is a little more defensive minded and can back up Johnson or Bast when he gets back.

I think Ty Farmer will be in the lineup on Defense. 

I would also personally rather play 7 D right now instead of an extra forward. Especially while the defense gets figured out. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

I think Ty Farmer will be in the lineup on Defense. 

I would also personally rather play 7 D right now instead of an extra forward. Especially while the defense gets figured out. 

My fault on that one as I was typing.  I totally agree it would be Farmer with Johnson at D.  I also agree with the possibility of playing an extra D on the big ice, which would be Bast if he is healthy.  I do stick with the forward lines that I have, but would not want the fourth line out with the top Minny line unless Albrecht was a part of it instead of Ness.  Since Minny has the last change, that is my reason for concern.