SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

• 2 weeks later...

Right now UND has a LOT coming back.  They are bringing back 4 players from their starting lineup and all 3 of their reserves from last year.  In addition, they have Gordon coming back off of injury and she got some expereince in the COVID season.   The freshman class coming in is, on paper, very talented and can address some of the issues from last year.

Some questions to consider

1) How does UND fill the hole at Center with Leet's graduation?

2) How will UND address the long-standing turnover issue?

3) What are the realistic expectations of the incoming freshman?

4) Who will step up and be the one to knock down outside shots consistenly?

My early expectations:  Battle for the 3rd spot in the Summit, win 18-20 games overall, around 11-12 games in the Summit.  Semi-Final appearance in Sioux Falls and an outside bid at the WNIT. 

The biggest thing that UND needs to do is become a consistent program.  Keep making steps forward and do not stagnant.  The hardest thing for a program to do isn't to go from bad to good, it is to go from good to very good, and go from very good to great. 

This really surprises me but i think it has something to do with Erica her sister since she leaving. Erica did give up her senior come early and wasn't offered scholarship this year so i have to believe that may have something to do with this. We will never know the reasons but sure hurts us for next year because she was our only big girl with experience returning next year. I would think we will need to go to the portal and find big girl with experience if we want to this team to compete next year to earn post season spot.

I think the rules need to be changed some on the portal transfer because it is becoming increasing difficult for small mid major schools to develop a team when players are using them as stepping stones or other schools are behind the scenes recruiting your players after you have developed them into quality player. Otherwise small mid majors are going to be nothing more than farm system for the larger schools. I believe then we will see very few four year scholarship players at most universities because the schools will only want players that can produce from day one and if not scholarships will be pulled on nonperforming athletes. Another possibility will be scholarships will become contract and when you sign length and commitment will be contractual agreement with penalties if voided early by either party.

11 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Otherwise small mid majors are going to be nothing more than farm system for the larger schools.

It’s not really about the players.  If it was the NCAA would care more about the 30% plus that don’t end back up on rosters after entering the portal or they would do a better job posting the data.  

• 4 weeks later...

I am sad to see Olivia Lane leave  i had hopes she might return with her sister going to  play in Crookston.  I thought she always played hard and gave full effort for us and i am sure she will be missed. I am surprised to where she is going but she must have her reasons and i wish her the best. I guess after the last couple of years maybe people just need to have a change with covid and now this past winter that has never ended. 

This then brings us to the question is how are they going to replace her and will it be another transfer or high school grad. We are definitely goiing to need another big girl for the coming season. We played last year with not alot of depth for height and we lost Leet to graduation and now loosing Olivia we have lost all our experience at the front line. This is not to mention the loss of Van Loo who also transferred this off season. I have to beieve this has got to be priority now and i sure would like to see how they are going to address. 

I was just looking at portal and I see Evan Zars  center is also going to Grand Canyon. Maybe Grand Canyon is loading up with talent to make a run next year in women's basketball. Like i say the Summit conference has had alot of experienced upper tier players transfer out this year and i wonder if it isn't these players want to improve their chances of playing in NCAA tournament or the WNIT tournament. Nearly all the teams but South Dakota State have lost one or two of their top players off their teams this year and question becomes are we becoming conference farm system for bigger conferences.

The question then becomes what are the advantages of being in division I sports for school in small midmajor  programs like UND going into the future. We will be playing for conference championship only and them maybe not if we have like South Dakota State with top coach and high amount of success because of his ablility to recruit and retain players. I don't want to be pessimistic but goal before was recruit raw talent and coach them up to where you would have one year or two window to go to dance and prove yourself. Now you get talent ready for that run and big schools just come in and recruit that talent away. The division II schools will be playing for at least some national trophy and will have post season. The only sport this will happen in division I will be mens football with FCS level where there are two levels for that sport. I maybe should qualify this to major team sports this will be happening the most with transferring of players from small midmajors to large schools. These changes were sold as giving players freedom of movement but now it is being exploited by big schools to help increase revenue and name recognition. Then you add in now the paying of players and sports betting on college games we are heading for some major scandal in the near future. 

I thought we would have heard who they have picked up for the coming season. I was looking at transfer portal sight large number of large forward and center girls have been picked up by number of schools so i am curious who we picked up. The site looks like musical chairs with number of teams loosing players and picking up players.

• 1 month later...