SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Recruiting

Hambone

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

You’re having trouble completing (recruiting) so your solution is to buy your players?  Money isn’t your problem but it’s fun listening to you guys dance around the real answers.

I feel like a similar message came out of Fargo in regards to transfers not that long ago. That tune has changed quickly.

Like it or not (and I'm not a fan of what it has quickly turned into instead of what it was meant to be), it's also the current environment. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You: REA/Engelstad Foundation doesn't help other sports!!!

Someone else: Who do you think is backing summer school scholarships so student athletes can stay on campus, be with teammates and train properly to get better?

You: LOUD NOISES

More like, me: REA has funds that could help out football. 

You: LOUD NOISES

The support given via summer school compared to direct support for hockey is apples to oranges, but you can think whatever you’d like to personally rationalize the inequality and senselessness propagated by the REA deal. 

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Agreed

I’m sure the REA has all kinds of funds that could be adapted to NIL for football student-athletes, but we know those funds are locked up tight just for ice skaters. Shame, shame, shame …

anyways, UND football needs support given the contemporary dynamics of recruiting. Need more funds for NIL, need donors/alumni to step up and get NIL deals funded for the coaching staff to move UND football forward. 

Yeah you should have wrote a check!

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I feel like a similar message came out of Fargo in regards to transfers not that long ago. That tune has changed quickly.

Like it or not (and I'm not a fan of what it has quickly turned into instead of what it was meant to be), it's also the current environment. 

Correct, it’s the current environment, and we have to adapt. We as supporters play a major role in how active NIL will be (or not be) for UND.

Since it may be difficult to connect with anyone directly at UND to get an initiative started, may have to work with business leaders directly and start a group via SS.com. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think GF has several such businesses, and I know our fan/alumni base has enough leaders to spearhead this thing. Although keeping coaches and university out of it would be nice, that’s impossible considering how intimately everything is connected at UND. At a minimum, the coaching staff will need to be privy to the deals available. If this recruiting season has demonstrating anything, though, it’s that UND needs to up its recruiting game, and NIL deals are naturally the next direction to turn to. Where are we with setting this up? I - amongst others - have potential $ to provide to this. Get dollars *legally* into the potential recruits and transfer targets’ hands so we can get some big name commits. 

Maybe you should focus all your energy there and start a NIL collective. Nothing is stopping you from doing it other than all the time you waste on this forum….

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maybe you should focus all your energy there and start a NIL collective. Nothing is stopping you from doing it other than all the time you waste on this forum….

See above post. 
Thanks (but no thanks) for your concern. 
Safe bet I should save my time and bypass asking you for contribution. 

4 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Correct, it’s the current environment, and we have to adapt. We as supporters play a major role in how active NIL will be (or not be) for UND.

Since it may be difficult to connect with anyone directly at UND to get an initiative started, may have to work with business leaders directly and start a group via SS.com. 

You don’t need to connect with anyone at UND to start a collective. UND can’t be directly affiliated with NIL anyways. Just start one and you can show the Alumni Association how it is done!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You don’t need to connect with anyone at UND to start a collective. UND can’t be directly affiliated with NIL anyways. Just start one and you can show the Alumni Association how it is done!

That’s the point of my statement (difficult to connect with anyone at UND...). Thanks for clarifying though. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

See above post. 
Thanks (but no thanks) for your concern. 
Safe bet I should save my time and bypass asking you for contribution. 

You are probably not going to do it anyways. Too complicated for a simple fellow like you. Might as well just keep complaining on this forum instead. You should be able to accomplish that!

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Too complicated for a simple fellow like you.

Alright, as I said earlier, you really shouldn’t be labeled a UND supporter. Anyways, your comments, and my hopeless replies, have now completely led astray this recruiting thread. As I said before, I’m done responding to you hopelessly. 

THE APOCRYPHAL TWAIN: “NEVER ARGUE WITH STUPID PEOPLE. THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL AND BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.”

12 hours ago, AJS said:

Committed to Buffalo. The transfer situation has been brutal post Spring ball.

Back to 2023 recruiting. 

Transfer situation has been less than ideal 

Need to embrace NIL and get things up and running. Will need to have ongoing conversations to get this going, but it’s doable.

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You are probably not going to do it anyways. Too complicated for a simple fellow like you. Might as well just keep complaining on this forum instead. You should be able to accomplish that!

Sounds like a very good idea. Turn these everyday rants into productive funding. Many times a bar, or business, gets a 501c3 and starts it. Get started UND-FB-Fan! Start a new threat NIL

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

IMO NIL is a terrible thing for college athletes and yes if a recruit decides on a school because of NIL then that school is buying their players.  How do the people running the NIL know which players the coaches want or is after they offer them?

NIL is another nail in the coffin of college sports.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

That’s the point of my statement (difficult to connect with anyone at UND...). Thanks for clarifying though. 

I agree that this thread should get back to recruiting but…. let me know who you want to talk to at UND and I will set it up for you!!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

I totally agree but don’t we have to follow the crowd? The transfer portal and NIL has changed the landscape of college sports.

Good point.  But if hypothetical money was instead invested in to coaching salaries, maybe we could have kept our rb coach.  If we still had our rb coach, perhaps we would have landed the first target that went to Youngstown?  Nobody knows.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Good point.  But if hypothetical money was instead invested in to coaching salaries, maybe we could have kept our rb coach.  If we still had our rb coach, perhaps we would have landed the first target that went to Youngstown?  Nobody knows.

There’s no question coaching salaries needs to improve. But, just as important, the coaches need to be held to a higher standard. Bubba has basically earned a lifetime contract for being at 0.500 football coach at UND. Those expectations of mediocrity hurt UND football and recruiting. As mentioned before, Bubba is a great guy, but I’m excited to see what Danny Freund can do when he gets the keys. It will be important that Danny (or whoever the next head coach is) has a better coaching salary pool to hire and *keep* the staff intact. That helps recruiting, as @nodak651 mentions here. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I agree that this thread should get back to recruiting but…. let me know who you want to talk to at UND and I will set it up for you!!

Not hard to notice this offer has been made by multiple people but unsurprisingly is continously ignored. Some people just can't be happy and want to complain. 

20 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I've heard Schlossman mention this a number of times and while I know it was true at the beginning I don't believe that to be the case anymore, I think the rules were kinda adapted in March or April. I know Minnesota announced Dinkytown Athletes as the official collective of Gopher athletics in mid April. They also made one of their top compliance guys a new role titled Associate AD for NIL/policy and it says he will work with Dinkytown Athletes to help amplify efforts and awareness for Gopher student athletes.

• Upvote 1

On 6/23/2023 at 6:05 PM, Bison Dan said:

IMO NIL is a terrible thing for college athletes and yes if a recruit decides on a school because of NIL then that school is buying their players.  How do the people running the NIL know which players the coaches want or is after they offer them?

Crystal Ball or a burner phone, probably the latter.  Every serious program is doing this or has something in the works.  UND doesn't of course and can't land anyone from the portal.  It's a slow train wreck for college sports, loose transfer portal and NIL pay to play.  But it's reality so no use in waiting around.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Crystal Ball or a burner phone, probably the latter.  Every serious program is doing this or has something in the works.  UND doesn't of course and can't land anyone from the portal.  It's a slow train wreck for college sports, loose transfer portal and NIL pay to play.  But it's reality so no use in waiting around.

It seems like it could be as simple as the coach has their top 10 targeted players written on a white board in their office. Someone from the NIL collective  comes in and says hey coach how's it going, sees the white board. The coach never told anybody what to do, but if he has his top 10 players written in a board and someone "just happens to see it" well there you go. I know that is a stripped down simplified version but you know a version of that is going on at bigger schools.