SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud at UND - Battle Between 7 of last 8 Penrose Cup Champions

GoalieMask

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-set-to-take-on-college-hockeys-most-efficient-power-play-on-record

With how poorly UND's special teams has been lately...and how prone they are to taking stupid penalties, this could end up being a disaster.

College hockey statistics have been compiled and maintained online for the last two decades by collegehockeystats.net.

The best power play on record is the 2015-16 Michigan team. That top power-play unit featured Kyle Connor and Zach Werenski, who will both play in the NHL All-Star Game next week, as well as Hobey Baker finalists Tyler Motte and J.T. Compher, and forward Alex Kile.

The Wolverines converted at 32.0 percent that season.

This year's St. Cloud State team is currently converting at 38.1 percent.

Yes, the Huskies are on pace to obliterate the best power play mark on record in college hockey as they head to Grand Forks for a two-game series against UND at 7:07 p.m. Friday and 6:07 p.m. Saturday.

They're almost a full 10 percent ahead of the next closest team in the country. The nation's second best power play, Providence, is at 28.3 percent. Third-place Michigan Tech is at 27 percent.

This is interesting:

NCAA men's top power plays of last 20 years

38.1 percent — St. Cloud State 2021-22** (Zach Okabe, Kevin Fitzgerald, Easton Brodzinski)
32.0 percent — Michigan 2015-16 (Kyle Connor, Zach Werenski, Tyler Motte)
31.6 percent — Wisconsin 2020-21 (Cole Caufield, Dylan Holloway, Ty Pelton-Byce)
31.6 percent — Ohio State 2016-17 (Nick Schilkey, David Gust, Mason Jobst)
31.1. percent — St. Cloud State 2001-02 (Ryan Malone, Mark Hartigan, Mike Doyle)
30.8 percent — Colorado College 2002-03 (Tom Preissing, Peter Sejna, Brett Sterling)

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-set-to-take-on-college-hockeys-most-efficient-power-play-on-record

With how poorly UND's special teams has been lately...and how prone they are to taking stupid penalties, this could end up being a disaster.

This is interesting:

A friend who went to St Cloud said Doyle had a huge year as a freshman and got consistently worse every year.

Excited for this series. I'm putting a lot of stock in tonight's game. This team is wounded, no doubt, but ultimately, all it takes is potentially one game to stop the bleeding. Win tonight. Offensively, they'll come around eventually. I'm not saying this is some high powered offensive team, but they aren't as bad as they've shown over the last two weekends either. Really concentrating and hoping for (1) Good performance from Hellsten (2) Defensively be solid. Do those two things and win a close one type of game (3-2) tonight.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

% chance that Hellsten starts tonight? There's no way that he goes back to Driscoll is there? 

I think that Driscoll played well enough on Friday of last week to get a start, but I think they go Hellsten tonight. If we win, he starts both. 

• Upvote 1

My school of thought is, a team can't lose (virtually) every single Friday, right? Eventually, they'll get one. Seems like the moment most (me included) really start to get frustrated, that's when they'll do a 180.

Note: Or this could be 2017 (or 2018?) all over again. Where you wait and wait and next thing season is over getting swept on the road.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/friday-rundown-und-to-make-changes-to-power-play?fbclid=IwAR3gC4KTyIefV9vIvQicpy5s816gZj8fBwILHEzrwmmJo0l-8JzdAgjePZ0

Changes coming to the PP units.

Also...

Losing streaks haven't been common at UND. The Fighting Hawks haven't lost five in a row since January/February 1995. They haven't lost six in a row since January 1994. There have been longer winless streaks, but ties were mixed in.