SiouxSports.com Forum

St. Cloud at UND - Battle Between 7 of last 8 Penrose Cup Champions

GoalieMask

13 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Well playing St Thomas had a lot to do with all the Husky goals...

Vs St Thomas 12-2 at home, 2-0 on the road.

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

Or Miami.  ;) 

Over the course of this season (as it has been in the past), St Cloud is Jekyll or Hyde, based on the size of the ice.  They are exceptionally well set up for Olympic Ice, and apparently not as much for Regulation NHL ice.

This season:

Olympic Ice: 9 (regulation) W,  1 (regulation) L, 2 OTL.    56 goals for, 20 goals against. Net +36.

Regulation Ice:  4 RW,  4 RL,  1 OTW.  19 goals for, 23 goals against.  Net -4.

I hope the trend continues tonight at the Ralph.

PS Perhaps they could help their NCAA success by changing their rink size.

10 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Vs St Thomas 12-2 at home, 2-0 on the road.

Over the course of this season (as it has been in the past), St Cloud is Jekyll or Hyde, based on the size of the ice.  They are exceptionally well set up for Olympic Ice, and apparently not as much for Regulation NHL ice.

This season:

Olympic Ice: 9 (regulation) W,  1 (regulation) L, 2 OTL.    56 goals for, 20 goals against. Net +36.

Regulation Ice:  4 RW,  4 RL,  1 OTW.  19 goals for, 23 goals against.  Net -4.

I hope the trend continues tonight at the Ralph.

PS Perhaps they could help their NCAA success by changing their rink size.

I don’t miss the big ice at World Arena. It once played to CC’s advantage in regular season home games during the years under Owens when they were good but it still didn’t lead to NCAA tournament success overall with the exception of the 2005 frozen four season. I think overall, CC ran into trouble in the post season when playing on the smaller sheet against opponents who really tightened up defensively in that one-and-done format. This isn’t a hard and fast rule but it seems very similar to some of SCSU’s struggles in the post season. 

34 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I don’t miss the big ice at World Arena. It once played to CC’s advantage in regular season home games during the years under Owens when they were good but it still didn’t lead to NCAA tournament success overall with the exception of the 2005 frozen four season. I think overall, CC ran into trouble in the post season when playing on the smaller sheet against opponents who really tightened up defensively in that one-and-done format. This isn’t a hard and fast rule but it seems very similar to some of SCSU’s struggles in the post season. 

Longer term, it should help CC.  

Continuing the theme of ragging on St Cloud, let's go back to their 2018-2019 team.  NCHC Regular Season Champions, finished the season with 30-6-3 record.  An exceptionally good team.

On the big ice, 21-0-1.

One the regular ice, 9-6-2.  (which includes a first-round exit in the NCAA to American International).