SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday Sweep Denver thread.

Wilbur

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Alternate Headline:  “NCHC won’t tarnish a potential Hobey campaign for star player”. 

I really thought the debate would be 1 or 2 games instead of suspension/no suspension.  

I was fully expecting Savoie and Kleven to both get suspensions, even though the intent was clearly different.  I figured they would be afraid to suspend just one, but nothing surprises me with Don Adam, the tool behind the Robbie Bina fiasco.

• Upvote 4

Hopefully Berry took this as an opportunity to talk to Kleven about situational awareness.  You don’t want to completely rein in Kleven’s aggressiveness, but there is a time and place to do so.  Would hate to get in a big game and be missing his defensive presence and have to kill off a major as well.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jk said:

Maybe this was exactly the time and place for it. 

You could be right.  I was thinking we were only up by 2, but I think we already had the empty net goal, so that leaves a little more cushion with only a few minutes left.  Had Kleven been suspended it very well could have been a big issue for UND going into Miami though.  Would hate to lose momentum when we already had the Denver game in hand.  Of course if it would have been a full five minutes, things can change in a hurry as witnessed by the wrong call in the Stanley Cup playoffs a few years back when San Jose scored 3 times on a five minute major to go on and beat Vegas.  

2 hours ago, jk said:

Maybe this was exactly the time and place for it. 

Kleven has definitely dialed back the physical part of his game a bit,  but it is good to put a couple "you tube" hits on tape for consumption and general information. You can tell by some of the decision making the Denver forwards made over the weekend that for the most part they were very aware every time Tyler was on the ice and that is a good thing and now the rest of the league has a little reminder as to why.

The hit along the boards was a textbook hit that NHL scouts salivate over. The linesmen kind of got in the way and the kid started to bail when he knew he had made an error in judgement. 

12 minutes ago, Goon said:

I agree, it was an appropriate response to Savoie's hit. 

Honestly, not sure it was a response directly. I believe Kleven just saw an opportunity for a big time hit, IMO. He wasn't head hunting for one. He may have WANTED one after what Savoie did, but it certainly didn't feel like he was seeking one out.

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Honestly, not sure it was a response directly. I believe Kleven just saw an opportunity for a big time hit, IMO. He wasn't head hunting for one. He may have WANTED one after what Savoie did, but it certainly didn't feel like he was seeking one out.

Agree, I didn't see it as retribution at all. 

22 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Whether it was intentional or not, I liked that hit. Unfortunately, it ended up being a CTH penalty. No one wants to see that. His first hit was a nice, legal body check. We kind of surprised that the DU bench thought it was worthy of a major penalty. Kleven’s hit was the case of a taller player going for a big check on a much smaller player and making contact with that player’s head. I don’t think it was intentional like Savoie’s.

16 minutes ago, Goon said:

Whether it was intentional or not, I liked that hit. Unfortunately, it ended up being a CTH penalty. No one wants to see that. His first hit was a nice, legal body check. We kind of surprised that the DU bench thought it was worthy of a major penalty. Kleven’s hit was the case of a taller player going for a big check on a much smaller player and making contact with that player’s head. I don’t think it was intentional like Savoie’s.

I don't think either of his hits were illegal and I loved both of them haha.

I believe DU was hoping it was a major simply because they wanted a 5 minute PP since they were down 2-0 already. Carle took a calculated risk to try and get a major power player, IMO.

11 minutes ago, Goon said:

I couldn't believe the DU coaches seemed to be bitching about the call on Savoie. Seriously?!

24 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I don't think either of his hits were illegal and I loved both of them haha.

I believe DU was hoping it was a major simply because they wanted a 5 minute PP since they were down 2-0 already. Carle took a calculated risk to try and get a major power player, IMO.

Carle also got a 5 minute timeout for his guys, who were getting worked over by UND at that part of the game.   

(Side note: not sure we've yet struck a good balance between "getting the call right" and "stopping the game too long".)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Carle also got a 5 minute timeout for his guys, who were getting worked over by UND at that part of the game.   

(Side note: not sure we've yet struck a good balance between "getting the call right" and "stopping the game too long".)

3 days later and the league still didn't get the call right on the Savoie hit

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, farce poobah said:

Makes you wonder if Carle would have called for a review if being wrong meant a penalty for his team rather than just losing his timeout.  Since there is only one timeout, I don't mind that as the standard for challenging a call.  

• Upvote 1