SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 ND High School Hockey

NoiseInsideMyHead

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

The East had the top 6 teams in the state......GFC and North are included. I'd put Jamestown at 7.

The officiating was suspect all tournament unfortunately.

The officiating was pretty bad all weekend. I watched a lot of games in Fargo and the amount of times all 4 refs getting together on the ice to discuss a certain call was many. A handful of times they would put the wrong player in the box. Just embarrassing. I understand mix ups when my peewee team is getting reffed by middle school or high school kids but these were all seasoned officials. 

Shout out to Hunter Nelson of Jamestown being named Senior Athlete of the Year. Kid may be small in stature but he plays line he’s 6’3” and 220. Going to miss watching him play. Never took a shift off 

Now comes the part where you get worried as a ND high school hockey fan.  You'd like to see kids stay and play it out, but the opportunities will come a knocking.  Both teams last night have some good underclassmen and the same can be said for some other teams as well.  The Nenow kid I assume will be playing somewhere else but Jamestown next year.

Next year I'll predict a Red River State championship playing at REA.  Going out on a huge limb there.:lol:

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Now comes the part where you get worried as a ND high school hockey fan.  You'd like to see kids stay and play it out, but the opportunities will come a knocking.  Both teams last night have some good underclassmen and the same can be said for some other teams as well.  The Nenow kid I assume will be playing somewhere else but Jamestown next year.

Next year I'll predict a Red River State championship playing at REA.  Going out on a huge limb there.:lol:

Rr reloads. Lot of scoring coming back

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

My best guess for Nenow would be playing juniors in Minot, Bismarck, or Aberdeen. Not quite ready for the USHL yet. Needs to put on some weight and muscle 

2 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Don’t call it boarding then…because it wasn’t boarding…both kids initiated the contact and the bigger/stronger kid won that battle.  Don’t call anything.  Nothing like officials asserting themselves in the final period of games the last 2 nights.

I'm going to suggest you open up a rulebook and have a read yourself. 

Observation:

The SD High School State Championships will air on Midco 2 this weekend.

The MN High School State Championships will air on Midco 3 this weekend (channel 323 here).  Also on Prep 45TV online.

Why is the ND High School State Championships not on Midco 2 or 3?

There are regular season HS football and basketball (boys & girls) on Midco Sports.  Would be nice to see ND and SD hockey as well.  Maybe even some MN hockey as Midco is in Minnesota too.  More content for Midco 1, 2, & 3.

6 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Observation:

The SD High School State Championships will air on Midco 2 this weekend.

The MN High School State Championships will air on Midco 3 this weekend (channel 323 here).  Also on Prep 45TV online.

Why is the ND High School State Championships not on Midco 2 or 3?

There are regular season HS football and basketball (boys & girls) on Midco Sports.  Would be nice to see ND and SD hockey as well.  Maybe even some MN hockey as Midco is in Minnesota too.  More content for Midco 1, 2, & 3.

Ndhsaa farms out the whole contract to statewide tv

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe the NDHSAA should farm that contract our to Midco to provide more visibility to the HS sports in the state.  Events broadcast on Midco also have a way to live on in reruns throughout the entire year for even more exposure.

I suppose I could make the same case for the SDHSAA as they put all their state championships on SDPTV.

Midco Sports is a great regional provider for sports.  We're lucky to have them and they should be used by the HS Associations more than they are.

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Maybe the NDHSAA should farm that contract our to Midco to provide more visibility to the HS sports in the state.  Events broadcast on Midco also have a way to live on in reruns throughout the entire year for even more exposure.

I suppose I could make the same case for the SDHSAA as they put all their state championships on SDPTV.

Midco Sports is a great regional provider for sports.  We're lucky to have them and they should be used by the HS Associations more than they are.

It’s an open bidding process. I don’t even know if Midco submitted a bid. 

8 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I'd guess Midco will only bid NDHSAA hockey in odd years (this was an even) because it's in Grand Forks (REA) those years and their set-up costs would be .... < flips switch >. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd guess Midco will only bid NDHSAA hockey in odd years (this was an even) because it's in Grand Forks (REA) those years and their set-up costs would be .... < flips switch >. 

To my knowledge its always been a package deal.  The winning bid broadcasts all three basketball tourneys and hockey.  I don't think the NDHSAA would ever separate them.

Just now, NDSU grad said:

To my knowledge its always been a package deal.  The winning bid broadcasts all three basketball tourneys and hockey.  I don't think the NDHSAA would ever separate them.

... and that's a mistake. 

15 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I just looked up the last time competitive bids were put out.  It was in 2013 and Forum Communications and NBC North Dakota were the only bidders.  

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

I forgot about football.  The Dakota Bowl is part of the package too.  It would be interesting to see ratings numbers.  My guess would Class B boys basketball, Dakota Bowl, the Super A, Hockey, Class B girls basketball.

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've thought of this from the ND HS hockey fan's POV.

Midco's POV? I'm guessing they get more eyeballs from NSIC and SL late season hoopsy-bouncey. 

I also think the NDHSAA is concerned about access.  A viewer can get statewide ABC ota, through any cable service, dish, Directv, and through many streaming services.  Even if you have completely cut the cord, you can pay for a month and stream all the games on stand-alone basis.  I don't think you would have that option with Midco.

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not so sure.  The B Boys is definitely the crown jewel, and even that isn't what it was  20-25 years ago.  Hockey skews heavily east, and Class A only has interest when there is the rare elite D1 super prospect.  Girls were better off in the fall when they had the spotlight, but that ship has sailed.  I doubt splitting would make much if any more money, and at least with the current set up the tournaments can all promote each other. with 4 straight weekends.

Midco is all about high school football/basketball only, they could care less about hockey unless it is UND which really butters their bread.  Ditto for high school baseball/softball…they don’t care.

Half the problem is there is no publicity machine or engine for ND high school hockey. There is no central organization pulling in the same direction. No one has taken the reins to promote the sport.  There is no Youth Hockey Hub or Hockey Talk or any chatter at all promoting Prep hockey in ND like there is in MN. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ksixpack said:

Midco is all about high school football/basketball only, they could care less about hockey unless it is UND which really butters their bread.  Ditto for high school baseball/softball…they don’t care.

Half the problem is there is no publicity machine or engine for ND high school hockey. There is no central organization pulling in the same direction. No one has taken the reins to promote the sport.  There is no Youth Hockey Hub or Hockey Talk or any chatter at all promoting Prep hockey in ND like there is in MN. 

Bingo....

and quite frankly it seems hockey is nothing but an inconvenience to the NDHSAA...