SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 ND High School Hockey

NoiseInsideMyHead

32 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

How did Mandan make it to state? Don't understand how that became a thing??

Caught a big break by having Minot lose their first game and not facing them in the come back game. The bottom half of the west was pretty even (and very bad). 

I can’t imagine a 9 seed had ever qualified for state.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

They gutted out heroic performances against hockey powerhouses: #5 Williston; and #7 Bottineau/Rugby en route to Fargo.

By "heroic performances" you must mean some of the ugliest unskilled slopfu&k hockey ever put on the ice in the state of ND. 

Williston was an imploded disaster, 2 kids who wanted to play and thats it.

Bottineau had a kid or two as well but other than that would have been a much better fit as a middle of the pack Jr Gold team talent wise.

Century was incredibly unskilled this year and played without heart, or disipline... was sad to watch. They need to adapt to the reality of the split and work much much harder.

BHS was even less skilled, BUT played with heart, however... did I mention the unskilled, and undisiplined part..... woof... add in horrendously missplaced and outmatched coaching ..... was doomed from the start.

Of the state teams.

Jamestown has a superstud and some other talented kids, best chance in years for thar program, hope they make some waves cause there's absolutely no reason for Nenow to waste another year of development in the WDA.

Minot was an enigma, at times looked capable and other times completely disjointed.... wild card at state .. who knows.

Legacy... modestly talented, well coached, but not talented enough. I think they will be the premier program in Bismarck for quite some time due to coaching alone, and the desire to play for the coaching staff... not just Mario. A good story but won't contend.

Mandan.... embarrassing for the state of ND hockey that they are there and a team like GFC isnt. A Huge blow to the 4 east 4 west format going forward. Anything less than a 2 touchdown loss will be celebrated in their local hockey programs for generations.

9 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

By "heroic performances" you must mean some of the ugliest unskilled slopfu&k hockey ever put on the ice in the state of ND. 

Williston was an imploded disaster, 2 kids who wanted to play and thats it.

Bottineau had a kid or two as well but other than that would have been a much better fit as a middle of the pack Jr Gold team talent wise.

Century was incredibly unskilled this year and played without heart, or disipline... was sad to watch. They need to adapt to the reality of the split and work much much harder.

BHS was even less skilled, BUT played with heart, however... did I mention the unskilled, and undisiplined part..... woof... add in horrendously missplaced and outmatched coaching ..... was doomed from the start.

Of the state teams.

Jamestown has a superstud and some other talented kids, best chance in years for thar program, hope they make some waves cause there's absolutely no reason for Nenow to waste another year of development in the WDA.

Minot was an enigma, at times looked capable and other times completely disjointed.... wild card at state .. who knows.

Legacy... modestly talented, well coached, but not talented enough. I think they will be the premier program in Bismarck for quite some time due to coaching alone, and the desire to play for the coaching staff... not just Mario. A good story but won't contend.

Mandan.... embarrassing for the state of ND hockey that they are there and a team like GFC isnt. A Huge blow to the 4 east 4 west format going forward. Anything less than a 2 touchdown loss will be celebrated in their local hockey programs for generations.

Nenow will be gone after this year. He has nothing else to prove especially playing in the West. Jays don’t make any noise at state this year it’s going to be awhile before they have a chance again 

Sad that less than ten years ago you had back to back state champions from the West, and now its hoping that Jamestown can find away against a team that played 10 kids total against GFC to scratch their way into the tournament.

From the coaches meetings that I sat in I got the impression from the NDHSAA that the region tournaments are never going away.  Maybe that has changed since I was coaching, but I don't ever see them going to a statewide league or cross region bracketing like they did 30 years ago.      

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Sad that less than ten years ago you had back to back state champions from the West, and now its hoping that Jamestown can find away against a team that played 10 kids total against GFC to scratch their way into the tournament.

From the coaches meetings that I sat in I got the impression from the NDHSAA that the region tournaments are never going away.  Maybe that has changed since I was coaching, but I don't ever see them going to a statewide league or cross region bracketing like they did 30 years ago.      

You knew once Bismarck got another team that it would weaken Bismarck and Century’s rosters. Minot could be next getting another school. The West will be weak for quite some time unfortunately 

Still the best story in ND hockey is the people keeping a program going in Hazen Beulah....

Its an absolute testament to the sport and dedication that they can keep the kids engaged and willing to keep coming out year after year.

They are proof time and again that with a 2 class system that would offer a glimmer of hope for some competitive contests.... more schools could play in a high school league and offer the Varsity experience, and a chance to legit compete for a title to more kids.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Still the best story in ND hockey is the people keeping a program going in Hazen Beulah....

Its an absolute testament to the sport and dedication that they can keep the kids engaged and willing to keep coming out year after year.

They are proof time and again that with a 2 class system that would offer a glimmer of hope for some competitive contests.... more schools could play in a high school league and offer the Varsity experience, and a chance to legit compete for a title to more kids.

TBH, a tier 1 program is needed in the worst way. Playing juniors at 17-18 is getting really tough as the local (USHL and NAHL) leagues are getting very very competitive. A tier 1 program would help the higher end kids stay closer to home and play much better hockey. The parity in the state is getting really bad. 

26 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

For sure, big props to Coach Dan Frei.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

TBH, a tier 1 program is needed in the worst way. Playing juniors at 17-18 is getting really tough as the local (USHL and NAHL) leagues are getting very very competitive. A tier 1 program would help the higher end kids stay closer to home and play much better hockey. The parity in the state is getting really bad. 

Karl tried to start an AAA/midget team at the hockey academy a few years ago.  Idea was to provide a team for best ND kids to play against better competition.

Outside of that, I think ND high school hockey should considering going to two classes perhaps with relegation and promotion.  Top 10 teams in AA; bottom 10 teams in A.

18 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Karl tried to start an AAA/midget team at the hockey academy a few years ago.  Idea was to provide a team for best ND kids to play against better competition.

Outside of that, I think ND high school hockey should considering going to two classes perhaps with relegation and promotion.  Top 10 teams in AA; bottom 10 teams in A.

It’s basically going to be gf, vs Fargo, vs Bismarck. They won’t be able to play good twin city teams because the ND team will be too watered down. Kids will continue to go SF Power and Northstar. 

• Like 1

Just now, ksixpack said:

Anyone else having trouble live-streaming the tournament on Inforums piece of sh*t web site?  It’s garbage!

plus the added benefit of having to wat ha 45 second ad before it starts to stream,  after the ten dolla fee....

then have to endure izzo..

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

It’s basically going to be gf, vs Fargo, vs Bismarck. They won’t be able to play good twin city teams because the ND team will be too watered down. Kids will continue to go SF Power and Northstar. 

And the Blue Navy, and the Colorado Rapids, and Fox Motors, and The Green Bay Jr. Gamblers, and the Des Moines Jr. Bucs, Little Caesars.....

Can't blame kids for leaving when you get 22 games.  I can't afford it for my kids, but a good amount can.  

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And the Blue Navy, and the Colorado Rapids, and Fox Motors, and The Green Bay Jr. Gamblers, and the Des Moines Jr. Bucs, Little Caesars.....

Can't blame kids for leaving when you get 22 games.  I can't afford it for my kids, but a good amount can.  

Just move across the river.