SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Recruiting

UND Fan

Facilities and better program support > Location.  Location is a terrible excuse.  If we had good facilities and we still couldn't recruit, ok, sure, location.  Blaming location right now is lame, because the facilities and support that UND basketball has now is basically the bare minimum for a D1 basketball program.  Football can out recruit other D1 schools and they have the same recruiting footprint - location isn't what's keeping the basketball program from being competitive.  Pretty sure 4-5 guys FROM ND or SD have transferred out of the program over the past 2-3 years, but location...

image.thumb.png.d643bc828d40f3b5ce91368a2fbbe24e.png

Here we go again with weather and location as reasons why we suck.   We have had good teams in the past that won championships and found players.  We act like Vermillion South Dakota is a destination place or McComb Illinois is a hot spot.  Yet all these teams are better then we are.   Grand Forks has way more to offer then Vermillion or McComb. Players dont go there because of good shopping.   Other sports teams can recruit players to come to Grand Forks and the basketball team has too in the past.  We just need excuses now why our team and coach are terrible.  I dont care if its a Power 5 drop down or a stud JUCO player.  Just get some talent and athleticism to our team.  i dont believe we will get that until we get a new coach in place.   

26 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Facilities and better program support > Location.  Location is a terrible excuse.  If we had good facilities and we still couldn't recruit, ok, sure, location.  Blaming location right now is lame, because the facilities and support that UND basketball has now is basically the bare minimum for a D1 basketball program.  Football can out recruit other D1 schools and they have the same recruiting footprint - location isn't what's keeping the basketball program from being competitive.  Pretty sure 4-5 guys FROM ND or SD have transferred out of the program over the past 2-3 years, but location...

image.thumb.png.d643bc828d40f3b5ce91368a2fbbe24e.png

You are clueless. Talk to a coach from any team on campus and let me know what you find out about how the portal works.

8 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

You are clueless. Talk to a coach from any team on campus and let me know what you find out about how the portal works.

Just now, UND1983 said:

We know the facilities are not great at UND.  Quit comparing ORU to UND.  The emphasis on the programs is night and day.  ORU MBB is #1 on campus, along with baseball iirc. 

Thanks for proving my point.

38 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

What was your point?  Because we were talking about the P5 transfers from the portal, not HS kids.  

My point was pretty clear.  Read it again if you wish.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

The context was our location and how it affects recruiting, in general.  Notice I didn't specifically mention P5 recruits or quote you.  However, recruits commit or choose not to commit for many different reasons, and not all transfers or high school kids are the same.  Better facilities do always help though.  You said I'm clueless, though, so please correct me if that's incorrect.

4 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Give them credit for adjusting.  They know their HS kids aren't ready or good enough.  Need transfers like everyone else is getting

Oh look, you were talking about us getting HS recruits that aren't good enough - but you said we were talking about P5 transfers (not HS kids)?

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

To compare ORU getting P5 players to UND is a bit disingenuous.  Location, arena, history, etc. Location is massive in the portal world.  

40 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

We know the facilities are not great at UND.  Quit comparing ORU to UND.  The emphasis on the programs is night and day.  ORU MBB is #1 on campus, along with baseball iirc. 

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You obviously have no idea how it works recruiting in the portal.  Just sit this one out or talk to a coach about how it goes.  

48 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How about you just clearly state your argument and support it with facts instead of wasting everyone's time?  This thread is for all recruiting concerning UND basketball, but you think it's unfair to compare ORU's facilities to UND's, because it's irrelevant?  Rather than making insults, can you please just tell us what the coaches would say since that seems to be a huge point you want to make?  

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As I look at -21F on my thermometer (wind chill -41F), I can admit climate does not work in UND's favor. 

The best bet to get players to UND is players from this climate. But this climate does not produce top DI MBB talent like more temperate regions. 

So if NDSU starts landing P5 drop downs, people will start talking about some imaginary warm front centered over Hillsboro? :silly: #simplequestion

20 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

The context was our location and how it affects recruiting, in general.  Notice I didn't specifically mention P5 recruits or quote you.  However, recruits commit or choose not to commit for many different reasons, and not all transfers or high school kids are the same.  Better facilities do always help though.  You said I'm clueless, though, so please correct me if that's incorrect.

Oh look, you were talking about us getting HS recruits that aren't good enough - but you said we were talking about P5 transfers (not HS kids)?

How about you just clearly state your argument and support it with facts instead of wasting everyone's time?  This thread is for all recruiting concerning UND basketball, but you think it's unfair to compare ORU's facilities to UND's, because it's irrelevant?  Rather than making insults, can you please just tell us what the coaches would say since that seems to be a huge point you want to make?  

How about you understand I wasn't responding to the exact same point each time so you probably shouldn't combine them all.

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How about you understand I wasn't responding to the exact same point each time so you probably shouldn't combine them all.

22 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

When it comes to the portal, which is what we were talking about, they would tell you it is very difficult to get a distance kid that is worth a damn to go far away from their current location.  They typically always transfer closer to home (typically).  Now if the kid is from the midwest then we got a shot.  However, SDSU, NDSU, USD, UST would also feel they have a shot.  

We cannot fund every sport on campus at the top of their conference.  And provide all energy and resources the same.  No school in the country does that and UND is no different.  Hockey eats up the most.  FB is a distant second.  Then the basketball's are further down than them.  

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if NDSU starts landing P5 drop downs, people will start talking about some imaginary warm front centered over Hillsboro? :silly: #simplequestion

It'll just mean Fargo finished their glass-dome-over-the-city project first.*

*Is it to keep people out, or in. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

When it comes to the portal, which is what we were talking about, they would tell you it is very difficult to get a distance kid that is worth a damn to go far away from their current location.  They typically always transfer closer to home (typically).  Now if the kid is from the midwest then we got a shot.  However, SDSU, NDSU, USD, UST would also feel they have a shot.  

We cannot fund every sport on campus at the top of their conference.  And provide all energy and resources the same.  No school in the country does that and UND is no different.  Hockey eats up the most.  FB is a distant second.  Then the basketball's are further down than them.  

"WE" weren't only talking specifically about the portal.  I wasn't talking to you.  My comments were specifically about location, for all types of recruiting.  Also, you're upset I quoted you a bunch, but here you are saying that the discussion was only about the portal - you posted about our HS recruiting only 3 hours ago and in the same general discussion.  That's why I quoted you! 

Of course the other Summit schools would look at the same recruits, because they are nearby, we compete directly against each other, and they also live in a cold climate.  Location is an excuse for having worse basketball support and facilities than all of the schools you named above except for St. Thomas, which is obviously unique as they are in the Twin Cities.  

I'd love to see that data that shows location being the number one priority for P5 transfers.  If you can't cite your source, please don't insult me and tell me to ask coach about it. 

Anecdotal but just the same ...

Where I worked out east had what they called the "400/400" statistic. If they hired someone who was either (a) more than 400 miles from what they called their home town, or (b) 400 miles from where they went to college, their five years of employment rate was under 20%, meaning most folks would come, and leave in under five years. 

I suspect there are similar statistics out there for transfers.  

12 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They need to fund BB a little more, because out of all the sports at D1, basketball provides the biggest return of investment for UND.*

*Hockey is pretty maxed out, unless they turn the Ralph into an 18,000 seat arena.  FB can move the needle but pulling upsets in March Madness means more than winning FCS titles. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Anecdotal but just the same ...

Where I worked out east had what they called the "400/400" statistic. If they hired someone who was either (a) more than 400 miles from what they called their home town, or (b) 400 miles from where they went to college, their five years of employment rate was under 20%, meaning most folks would come, and leave in under five years. 

I suspect there are similar statistics out there for transfers.  

I get where you're coming from, but college basketball players will be back home within five years anyway, and they for the most part aren't worried about the considerations that families with kids have.  Adults with normal jobs benefit from being near grandparents who want to see the grand kids, and can help with daycare, etc.  Basketball transfers, specifically, are usually only looking at a few years at most, and many times it's only a season or two.  I don't think the two are very comparable.

I guess something that is comparable, imo, is moving far away for an opportunity (playing time for P5 transfers).

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They need to fund BB a little more, because out of all the sports at D1, basketball provides the biggest return of investment for UND.*

*Hockey is pretty maxed out, unless they turn the Ralph into an 18,000 seat arena.  FB can move the needle but pulling upsets in March Madness means more than winning FCS titles. 

The REA can also finance the practice facility the same way the Betty was financed. 

When the Ralph was built it should have been built so the lockers, meeting rooms, weight rooms were back to back with the betty with BB and hockey each having their own

will be nice to see the Betty expansion plans and see where they put things 

19 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

"WE" weren't only talking specifically about the portal.  I wasn't talking to you.  My comments were specifically about location, for all types of recruiting.  Also, you're upset I quoted you a bunch, but here you are saying that the discussion was only about the portal - you posted about our HS recruiting only 3 hours ago and in the same general discussion.  That's why I quoted you! 

Of course the other Summit schools would look at the same recruits, because they are nearby, we compete directly against each other, and they also live in a cold climate.  Location is an excuse for having worse basketball support and facilities than all of the schools you named above except for St. Thomas, which is obviously unique as they are in the Twin Cities.  

I'd love to see that data that shows location being the number one priority for P5 transfers.  If you can't cite your source, please don't insult me and tell me to ask coach about it. 

You need data?  Oh ok.  If you haven't talked to anybody who recruits the portal then how can you possibly speak on it?  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

You need data?  Oh ok.  If you haven't talked to anybody who recruits the portal then how can you possibly speak on it?  

You are the one speaking on it as if you know for certain it's fact.  As such, if you're actually interested in having a worthwhile discussion, the onus is on you to support your claim with anything beyond an insult.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

You are the one speaking on it as if you know for certain it's fact.  As such, if you're actually interested in having a worthwhile discussion, the onus is on you to support your claim with anything beyond an insult.

You want recordings and affidavits? Let me know when those P5 transfers start coming to town. Meanehile, I will keep commending them for trying the Juco route to fill holes, much like Herbst talked about in the presser a few weeks ago.  Need to get better and more mature/older like the other teams in the league.

I don't care how they get there, but I think everyone can agree, we just need to get there.   NDSU has been able to navigate the Summit quite nicely in men's basketball, so we just need to start finding a few diamonds in the rough to flip the scenario and give UND the ability to get more of the regions best players. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, tnt said:

I don't care how they get there, but I think everyone can agree, we just need to get there.   NDSU has been able to navigate the Summit quite nicely in men's basketball, so we just need to start finding a few diamonds in the rough to flip the scenario and give UND the ability to get more of the regions best players. 

I agree 100%.  We all want them to win games.  How they go about it is certainly not cut and dry but it starts with hitting on some local kids