SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Recruiting

UND Fan

I have Relatives That are UND alumni and their two children have looked at UND and their parents were in favor of them coming to UND. The oldest one isn’t involved in sports but she visited the school loved campus and what  Und offered in her field and great package in scholarships but after she toured the town town saw what the Town offered for shopping and things to do she looked else where and went there. Now there youngest is athletic and is prospect for playing volleyball and already has been recruited by Montana State and several Ivy League schools as sophomore in high school but here she is not interested living in cold weather climate. I believe the kids today have higher standard or should I say it’s just not scholarship or even if institution has educational standards they also looking for it also has to be place where they want to live and socialize to like where they come from or they want. Todays kids are much different then when I went to school and probably even most of you when you went to school. Today that is why we see so many transfers and when they transfer they know what they want and by success rate in transferring I also got to believe even if they don’t get what they want will get their education by another way than continuing playing sports. I thought differently just couple years ago but I see it in my young adult children and now seeing it in kids that are coming to college now by way of my family they have requirements and if don’t meet them they will move on either finding in athletics or doing it another way. 

I do not think location plays a huge decision in most recruits decisions. If you go listen to interviews with top recruits, 9 times out of 10 they say the biggest factor in where they choose to play is based on the system/how they can be developed and their relationship with the coaching staff. Every once in awhile you’ll find guys that care about what major a school offers or a local kid that wants to stay close to family but overall most recruits are going where they have the best chance to play and develop as a basketball player. I laugh cause if you watched the Last Chance U documentary on Netflix, a guy said he would never leave the state of California because of his son being there. He’s now playing at Minnesota Crookston. 

4 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I do not think location plays a huge decision in most recruits decisions. If you go listen to interviews with top recruits, 9 times out of 10 they say the biggest factor in where they choose to play is based on the system/how they can be developed and their relationship with the coaching staff. Every once in awhile you’ll find guys that care about what major a school offers or a local kid that wants to stay close to family but overall most recruits are going where they have the best chance to play and develop as a basketball player. I laugh cause if you watched the Last Chance U documentary on Netflix, a guy said he would never leave the state of California because of his son being there. He’s now playing at Minnesota Crookston. 

Does crookston even have a football yeam 

19 hours ago, Kab said:

When the Ralph was built it should have been built so the lockers, meeting rooms, weight rooms were back to back with the betty with BB and hockey each having their own

will be nice to see the Betty expansion plans and see where they put things 

The Ralph was built with little planning and forethought.  They wanted to make sure it was complete prior to The Ralph hosting the World Junior hockey tourney in 2004 and they didn't want to spend any more than necessary. In fact, it was Coach Glas' understanding that that the capacity of the arena would be 4,000.  It wasn't until the construction was well underway that he learned that it would hold only 3,100.  

You are correct that meeting rooms and a weight room were not included in the original plans.  

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Well we put over 2500 for one game each team all year. I don’t think capacity is the issue

Capacity is not the issue in the Betty. I honestly think the Betty is just fine as far as game facilities for the Summit League... could there be some improvements? Sure. UND has shown they will do some improvements... (film room, plans for practice facility) The locker rooms could use some updating but it's not like they are just absolute trash.. they are nice, just small.

If they closed an end and bowled it off it would be pretty sweet... not sure if that is ever the plan though.

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

The Ralph was built with little planning and forethought.  They wanted to make sure it was complete prior to The Ralph hosting the World Junior hockey tourney in 2004 and they didn't want to spend any more than necessary. In fact, it was Coach Glas' understanding that that the capacity of the arena would be 4,000.  It wasn't until the construction was well underway that he learned that it would hold only 3,100.  

You are correct that meeting rooms and a weight room were not included in the original plans.  

Do you remember if the Herald covered this?  Kinda want to see if I can find an old article about this.  Seems to have been common knowledge.  Would also love to see the original plans, and it would be interesting to know if UND had any say in that change.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Well we put over 2500 for one game each team all year. I don’t think capacity is the issue

Agree, the Betty capacity isn't an issue. Practice facility should be #1 priority for basketball. If you don't have a practice facility as a D1 program you are already significantly behind when it comes to recruiting good talent. 

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

It can be built up with a winning team

the Hyslop held 5 to 6 thousand and many games were well above the 3100 the Betty holds, getting a ticket for the bison game wasn’t easy and you had to call to get tickets and they didn’t go on sale until game week.

5 minutes ago, Kab said:

It can be built up with a winning team

the Hyslop held 5 to 6 thousand and many games were well above the 3100 the Betty holds, getting a ticket for the bison game wasn’t easy and you had to call to get tickets and they didn’t go on sale until game week.

USD built a huge arena that probably can hold 5K... they get nowhere close to anything like that... even NDSU has a bigger arena and most nights it's not close to full... I like that the Betty is "Smaller" and more intimate... I think that is an advantage... As good as SDSU has been the last decade... their crowds haven't been anywhere close to what people would think...

With all these games being streamed and on the internet.. i would argue that smaller arenas are better right now.

1 minute ago, SD UND said:

USD built a huge arena that probably can hold 5K... they get nowhere close to anything like that... even NDSU has a bigger arena and most nights it's not close to full... I like that the Betty is "Smaller" and more intimate... I think that is an advantage... As good as SDSU has been the last decade... their crowds haven't been anywhere close to what people would think...

With all these games being streamed and on the internet.. i would argue that smaller arenas are better right now.

Yeah I don’t think there’s any reason to necessarily increase the size of the Betty but I do wish the bleachers were replaced with something more permanent and moved closer to the play. Feel like we could make the Betty a more on top of you feeling. I know the practice facility would have to come first for this though. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Agree, the Betty capacity isn't an issue. Practice facility should be #1 priority for basketball. If you don't have a practice facility as a D1 program you are already significantly behind when it comes to recruiting good talent. 

In explaining what happened when the Betty was built, I didn't say anything about the 3,100 capacity being an issue today (hopefully, it is an issue again someday soon).  But it was a big issue back then...

Year              Attendance                   Rank in DII     

2001-2              2,987                              4th

2002-3             3,857                              2nd

2003-4             3,423                              3rd

2004-5*            2,550                              11th

* First year playing in The Betty.

You can see why Rich Glas (and many others) were blindsided by the lack of planning and communication that took place when The Betty was built! 

A friend and I funded the weightroom!  I could tell you more stories but you get the drift!!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

When UND played NDSU in 2012, there was atmosphere, fun and a court storm!

Yeah that game was pretty awesome.  Something like 7.5K in attendance if I remember correctly.  I think pushing the court to one end could work best for size/environment if a curtain could be rigged up behind the scoreboard somehow.  Would likely look bad when stored up in rafters though.  D1k7QQoX4AEdgis.jpg:large

2 hours ago, Und246 said:

Except Ralph has zero atmosphere for basketball. 

You must not have been at the UND Kansas (Boschee) game. It can rock given the correct circumstances. They introduced one of our HOF teams, they had the Wizard of Oz “we’re not in Kansas anymore”  video and UND went up on Kansas early. 

Yes. If you get 13,500 to a game the Ralph can rock. 95 per cent of the games the sound would be up by the suites. Anybody that went to those games at the Ralph would admit you don’t feel the crowd hardly at all except for those unique games. That is the reality of it. 

30 minutes ago, Und246 said:

Yes. If you get 13,500 to a game the Ralph can rock. 95 per cent of the games the sound would be up by the suites. Anybody that went to those games at the Ralph would admit you don’t feel the crowd hardly at all except for those unique games. That is the reality of it. 

Yeah I know. Even if we were battling for conference titles and playoffs I doubt we would get 5000 except maybe Bison game.  It’s tough to re-engage the fans especially the students.