SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Recruiting

UND Fan

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Give them credit for adjusting.  They know their HS kids aren't ready or good enough.  Need transfers like everyone else is getting

It's an offer.... there is no saying that he will 100% end up coming here. It is good to see them finally going after D1 level Juco players though. Finding a drop down player from a Power 5 school is what we need. ORU has multiple of them and are dominating the summit. 

6 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

It's an offer.... there is no saying that he will 100% end up coming here. It is good to see them finally going after D1 level Juco players though. Finding a drop down player from a Power 5 school is what we need. ORU has multiple of them and are dominating the summit. 

They can't get a player if they don't offer, right?  Better than not offering

If it was easy to get P5 drop downs they would be doing it. Juco's are overlooked now because of the portal.  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

They can't get a player if they don't offer, right?  Better than not offering

If it was easy to get P5 drop downs they would be doing it. Juco's are overlooked now because of the portal.  

I never said it is easy. Recruiting is a very challenging aspect of college basketball! However, it is one thing that UND is severely lacking behind on. ORU has 4 Power 5 drop down players and Max Abmas who could easily be at a Power 5 school. If UND ever wants to be near the top of the Summit that is something they need to catch up to. 

5 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I never said it is easy. Recruiting is a very challenging aspect of college basketball! However, it is one thing that UND is severely lacking behind on. ORU has 4 Power 5 drop down players and Max Abmas who could easily be at a Power 5 school. If UND ever wants to be near the top of the Summit that is something they need to catch up to. 

To compare ORU getting P5 players to UND is a bit disingenuous.  Location, arena, history, etc. Location is massive in the portal world.  

Just now, UND1983 said:

To compare ORU getting P5 players to UND is a bit disingenuous.  Location, arena, history, etc. Location is massive in the portal world.  

Then there will always be an excuse. UND will never get to the Top of the Summit or even close to that because we are in Grand Forks. That mentality will get UND nowhere. 

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

Then there will always be an excuse. UND will never get to the Top of the Summit or even close to that because we are in Grand Forks. That mentality will get UND nowhere. 

You obviously have no idea how it works recruiting in the portal.  Just sit this one out or talk to a coach about how it goes.  

Just now, UND1983 said:

You obviously have no idea how it works recruiting in the portal.  Just sit this one out or talk to a coach about how it goes.  

Very aware of how it works, thank you very much. I'm just not one to make excuses. Excuses get you nowhere. Have a great rest of your day!! 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

They went after Mushila and Archambault in 20-21, so they have had done this in the past. 

24 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I do believe they think they have a real good shot at landing him. 

7 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Very aware of how it works, thank you very much. I'm just not one to make excuses. Excuses get you nowhere. Have a great rest of your day!! 

So in your mind it's very doable to get a P5 transfer to UND who would make a difference?

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

So in your mind it's very doable to get a P5 transfer to UND who would make a difference?

It has been done before by the prior head coach... Marlon Stewart. I think some would say that he made a huge difference at UND.... this was also done before the new transfer rules. Marlon came here and had to even sit out a year. Would be even easier to get a guy from a P5 school now that they don't have to sit out.

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

It has been done before by the prior head coach... Marlon Stewart. I think some would say that he made a huge difference at UND.... this was also done before the new transfer rules. Marlon came here and had to even sit out a year. Would be even easier to get a guy from a P5 school now that they don't have to sit out.

2015 Creighton was far from a P5 program.  And in fact they still aren't......

Just now, UND1983 said:

2015 Creighton was far from a P5 program.  And in fact they still aren't......

Holy cow, I can't with all these excuses!

Creighton joined the Big East in 2013...... and to say they aren't even close to a P5 team just tells me that you have no clue about basketball. I really hope you have a great rest of the week! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

While everyone wants to get a P5 transfer to UND, here is the reality for MOST transfers:

1. They want to get back closer to home- this is the location aspect that UND1983 was referring to

2. They have a close relationship with program, or players within program- i.e. Marlon Stewart, was high school teammates with Cortez Seales who was already at UND.

3. NIL-  UND does not have a competitive NIL package.

The biggest reality is, no matter who the head coach is at the end of the year... UND is not a desirable school for P5 transfers that CAN make an impact because of their current standing in college hoops. So, the better use of their resources is to try and get some of these JUCO guys and try to strike gold to be able to get to a point where they can get access to some P5 transfers. 

You have to walk before you run.

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Holy cow, I can't with all these excuses!

Creighton joined the Big East in 2013...... and to say they aren't even close to a P5 team just tells me that you have no clue about basketball. I really hope you have a great rest of the week! 

I am having a great week. Which P5 they are part of?

1 minute ago, Kab said:

Are there any backdown type big men with offers

seems like we get 6-9 or 6-10 that can’t handle the ball and back down the other teams bigs 

I think if it wasn't for his back injury, Mathews would be further along at the 5 spot.   I hope an offseason where he is training instead of rehabbing will do wonders for him.

Not the same position, but idea same for Levias as well. 

We talk about nil money, I see Sabin just said no to some recruits who wanted big nil money, he told them to go somewhere else.

he said they need to prove themselves on the field first  before thinking about money

good for coach Sabin

• Like 1

As I look at -21F on my thermometer (wind chill -41F), I can admit climate does not work in UND's favor. 

The best bet to get players to UND is players from this climate. But this climate does not produce top DI MBB talent like more temperate regions. 

1 minute ago, Kab said:

We talk about nil money, I see Sabin just said no to some recruits who wanted big nil money, he told them to go somewhere else.

he said they need to prove themselves on the field first  before thinking about money

good for coach Sabin

Yeah, Coach Sather is definitely in the same situation.....

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

As I look at -21F on my thermometer (wind chill -41F), I can admit climate does not work in UND's favor. 

The best bet to get players to UND is players from this climate. But this climate does not produce top DI MBB talent like more temperate regions. 

Best bet is guys from MN, IA, Dakotas, WI... 

There will be guys from those areas in the portal this offseason, and if there is a connection, I'd bet they will be in contact to see what the situation is.

43 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

didn't it used to be sell your school bc your more than likely not gonna be a pro athlete if your going to play inthe ncc or summit?

accounting, health, law, aerospace....sell it ........or don't

17 minutes ago, SD UND said:

While everyone wants to get a P5 transfer to UND, here is the reality for MOST transfers:

1. They want to get back closer to home- this is the location aspect that UND1983 was referring to

2. They have a close relationship with program, or players within program- i.e. Marlon Stewart, was high school teammates with Cortez Seales who was already at UND.

3. NIL-  UND does not have a competitive NIL package.

The biggest reality is, no matter who the head coach is at the end of the year... UND is not a desirable school for P5 transfers that CAN make an impact because of their current standing in college hoops. So, the better use of their resources is to try and get some of these JUCO guys and try to strike gold to be able to get to a point where they can get access to some P5 transfers. 

You have to walk before you run.

As much as I want us to be a landing spot for P5 drop downs, I think this is the approach that needs to be done. A Joe Hurlburt or maybe a Treyton Thompson type P5 drop down could happen with both being somewhat local.  

Find some diamonds in the rough in JUCO/HS and make this a more desirable place to play with winning and more P5 may be interested. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Location of us being the very most northern school in Summit does have large effect on recruiting. I see it mentioned number of times on other school boards the weather and cold we have here is used against us in recruiting. The next thing is Grand Forks has fallen behind in shopping and things to do in town compared to where our recruits  are coming from like greater twins city area so it becomes tougher sell. Then you come to facilities we have slipped to just average at best for facilities and looks to be years from any updating. Then programs like basketball are not funded like some of other programs they are competing against. Many of you forget that ORU basketball is king sport for them and they support that sport accordingly they have for one just renovating their arena. Also their climate and being close to talent rich recruiting area helps. ORU left Summit and returned and now looking at their move back I believe they saw it was much easier to reach tournament being bigger fish in small conference and they just play tougher non conference schedule to get additional recognition. What we’re experiencing now what number of people were saying about making jump to division I. This is not going to be simple and quick to get us back to where we can be factor in the conference. I look at present coaching staff have recruited back to back freshmen of the year but have lost them and many of them blame the coaching but it maybe the above reasons or other factors I haven’t brought up. I will here it’s the coach but maybe we should be looking at some of these reason and how we as fans can improve this for the program. I believe this not going to be quick turn around and changing coaches in my mind is we’re going to be repeating process and not getting to what needs to be changed that  we can build on. We again have number of young talent to build on so we need to figure out where we go from now. I don’t believe we’re making excuses but identifying things we have to overcome and now we need to work to achieve this.