SiouxSports.com Forum

Bresciani out at NDSU

The Sicatoka

The North Dakota University System voting Tuesday afternoon to not renew President Dean Bresciani's contract beyond it's expiration date next year.

Details on Bresciani's planned exit remain fuzzy, as some reports have claimed the President decided to step down, while others show that he had not met standards of the NDUS Board set a few years back during a performance review, resulting in a sense of needing to move on from his leadership. 

https://www.wdayradionow.com/news/local-news/32482-dean-bresciani-leaving-as-president-of-ndsu

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

" then become a tenured NDSU professor"

So, there giving him a kind of soft landing instead of the norm of a buy out.

Yeah they always let a a pres they want to fire stay an extra year and then stay on later in another capacity?:silly::whistling:

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

Yeah they always let a a pres they want to fire stay an extra year and then stay on later in another capacity?:silly::whistling:

I'm assuming they kind of wanted to fire him, and this was a preferred route for both parties.

22 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I'm assuming they kind of wanted to fire him, and this was a preferred route for both parties.

What Ive heard is they werent going to give him the usual 2 year contract. Just one year. IMO he was tired of being dicked with so he dictated the terms of

his future.

Everyone got something:

- NDUS board clears Bresciani from NDSU presidency (their big want)
- NDUS board doesn't have to pay out a golden parachute
- Bresciani can claim "not let go"
- Bresciani gets tenure (and will effectively have retirement benefits for life)

29 minutes ago, bison73 said:

What Ive heard is they werent going to give him the usual 2 year contract. Just one year. IMO he was tired of being dicked with so he dictated the terms of

his future.

He really showed them by <checks notes> getting a 6 month extension. Going to take the SBoHE a long time to recover from that one!

28 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.inforum.com/news/education/7095497-Evaluation-raised-concerns-about-NDSU-president-before-higher-ed-board-announced-his-planned-departure 

• declining research funding
  • declining research status
  • declining enrollment, and 
  • faculty questioning decision making

Well, other than that and the inability to get along with the board members and the other college presidents, he was doing just fine.

5 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Word is on the street that the BOHE wants Mark Kennedy back to clean up NDSU. Timing worked perfect after getting outsted from Colorado so they want to jump on the opportunity to get him back in the system.

Nice troll.

19 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

<checks salary> Six months of lame duck status, plus the freedom of getting out on one's own terms (even if just technically), is hardly a bad deal. 

If they really wanted him gone, they would have flat out non-renewed him. Will be interesting as more details come out on it. Apparently he might not even make it that extra 6 months as it states he's actually done if a replacement can start before that timeframe.

• Upvote 1

It was interesting to read some of his rebuttals to his Evaluation.

The one that made me chuckle was "NDSU is a leader in Online education" now that is funny and I know for a fact that is not true.

• 4 months later...

What is Pres. B to the South trying to do?  

NDSU is notifying all its employees that they must have received their full series of vaccinations (i.e., either two shots of Pfizer/Moderna or one shot of J&J) and provide proof to NDSU or have received an exemption on or before January 4, 2022. Under the federal rules, there are only two permissible exemptions involving religious or medical concerns. Employees receiving an exemption will be required to maintain other mitigation efforts including mandatory weekly testing, masking, and social distancing.
Information about this requirement, along with information on how to submit proof of a vaccination or request an exemption is provided below.

4 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I guess if you don't believe in science you can suddenly "find religion" to try and save your job.

Just so we're clear...statistics is or is not a science?  Because probability and likelihood are still on the side of just about everyone, regardless of vaccine status.  And I would pretty much defer to PhD-level, trained scientists to make their own assessment of, you know, "science."

10 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I guess if you don't believe in science you can suddenly "find religion" to try and save your job.

"You boys could use a little churching up. Slide on down to the Triple Rock, and catch Rev. Cleophus. You boys listen to what he's got to say."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Did someone miss a couple Federal court stays on the vaccine mandates? 

The stays that have been granted are not for the same mandate that applies to NDSU & UND. And the current SCOTUS has had the opportunity to rule against multiple vaccine requirements and has chosen to tacitly approve all of them. Don't expect that circuit court decision to survive.

My guess is that both university presidents know that guidance from the General Services Administration is coming that will make the decision for them. DB knows he's got nothing to lose, so he's going to go ahead and get it out of the way. The next NDSU pres. is free to throw DB under the bus and the leg. already hates him. AA knows he has to deal with the legislature in the future, so it wouldn't look good for him to announce full compliance with the mandate the same month that the state government joins the lawsuit against the mandates.

The whole situation reminds me of another instance of a state government taking the power away from a university president and not letting the president do what everyone (sane) knew needed to be done.

10 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

The stays that have been granted are not for the same mandate that applies to NDSU & UND.

Not true.  There is an injunction but it covers only three states.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2021/11/30/kentucky-judge-blocks-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-federal-contractors/8813404002/

Others are likely pending, if not imminent.

It only takes one court to grant a nationwide injunction, which is what happened in Louisiana on the healthcare worker mandate.  This particular judge in Kentucky just declined to do so.

On 12/1/2021 at 4:07 PM, The Sicatoka said:

"You boys could use a little churching up. Slide on down to the Triple Rock, and catch Rev. Cleophus. You boys listen to what he's got to say."

I don't want to listen to no jive-ass preacher talking to me about heaven and hell...;)