SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

They look like tired team and Bernhard continues to play same players. Leet looks like she walking most of time and she has shown to coaches she tired. Lane looks tired. Then there Orth she doesn't even look herself out there wonder whats going on there. They may of hit wall with all the minutes they have played in last month. They are going to have to get it together next week but i kind of think they have settled to have 5 th place and they are not putting forth the effort. Bernhard needs to get over only playing experienced players she did this last year too. You got to have little faith in younger players and sure they are going to make a few mistakes but look at what extra they can bring and need to keep your team fresh through out the season.

The big difference tonight is in stats we were out rebounded by 12 rebounds which we usually control by 10 boards. Second they had 29 more bench points than us even if you switch Moore back to starter we were out scored by 10 points by there bench. Again we looked like tired team and they play without any energy.  We may have peaked for the season and i hope not but we sure have taken step backwards last two weeks.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:04 PM, ND-fan said:

I thought last night the game got away from us and i don't know why it did but it did. I think our women put too much pressure on themselves and everyone was trying to do too much. This has been building for some time with Leet with calls she hasn't like on defense and i hope this has gotten it out of her system. I have noticed the referee calls and way the games have been called are different when we get to WSI and KC both in women's and men's game lately i don't know but i guess it from different set of referees that are being used. The bottom line is we got to adapt figure how to play with the calls. The other thing why have Mccarthy and Anderson not seen a little more playing time in the conference schedule. Mccarthy showed last night she can play spot roll to help keep our front line people rested and giving us more depth on the front line.  This i what i have noticed about SDSU they do play their talented freshman more than we do getting them experience and getting to know what they need to work on to gain playing time. This also cuts down fatigue and injuries to our starters durning long season. I was encouraged by Mccarthy play last night and future for us now this season and next season. I hope with our new recruits coming in they don't have sit on bench a year before we will consider playing them because if were going to make a run next year were going need to our present core of players to make run at conference championship.

I agree that it's nice to give your freshmen playing time, but it's a lot easier to do when you're winning your games by 25-30 points or more, as SDSU often does.  Coach Bernhardt hasn't had that luxury.

Mosiouxfan  i can agree somewhat with that rational but i just went through SDSU stats on their team They have four Freshman on the team lead by outstanding Myer who has played in all games with 25 minute average, Timmer who has played in all but one game and has 18 minute average, Vlastuin who has played in 24 games and 9..8 minute average, and then there last freshman Byom who has played in 22 games and 6 minutes a game. I found this impressive that these freshman had gotten that much playing time. Now i look at UND freshman this year Anderson who leads freshman class has played in 17 games and 11.2 minutes per game, McCarthy who has played in 16 games and averages 4.3 minutes per game, Sieben who has played in 11 games and 2.8 minutes a game, E. Land who has played in 10 games and 2.3 minutes per game. This quite difference between the freshman classes and i believe will be advantage for next year. Yes i do know that Myer and Timmer are exceptional athletes. But even there least played freshman for SDSU has more minutes played than McCarthy, Sieben, and E. Lane combine in playing time for this year. The point i am trying to make practice does develop players but there is more to learning basketball than practicing and it is just playing time in real game conditions. The next point is we have four talented players coming in next year by all accounts i am hoping by next year at this time they are becoming major contributors to the team. If we are going to reach next level we will need to develop these players quickly to go along with our proven talent developed.  I have even heard Mallory say on radio she has tendency to play players to many minutes durning games and it does have effect longterm on their level of play. Finally i am not picking on Berhard because i think she like this team are better than last year and i know she is learning becoming a better coach like playing nothing like experience makes you better especially if keep you keep studying and learning from what your counter parts are doing.

38 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Mosiouxfan  i can agree somewhat with that rational but i just went through SDSU stats on their team They have four Freshman on the team lead by outstanding Myer who has played in all games with 25 minute average, Timmer who has played in all but one game and has 18 minute average, Vlastuin who has played in 24 games and 9..8 minute average, and then there last freshman Byom who has played in 22 games and 6 minutes a game. I found this impressive that these freshman had gotten that much playing time. Now i look at UND freshman this year Anderson who leads freshman class has played in 17 games and 11.2 minutes per game, McCarthy who has played in 16 games and averages 4.3 minutes per game, Sieben who has played in 11 games and 2.8 minutes a game, E. Land who has played in 10 games and 2.3 minutes per game. This quite difference between the freshman classes and i believe will be advantage for next year. Yes i do know that Myer and Timmer are exceptional athletes. But even there least played freshman for SDSU has more minutes played than McCarthy, Sieben, and E. Lane combine in playing time for this year. The point i am trying to make practice does develop players but there is more to learning basketball than practicing and it is just playing time in real game conditions. The next point is we have four talented players coming in next year by all accounts i am hoping by next year at this time they are becoming major contributors to the team. If we are going to reach next level we will need to develop these players quickly to go along with our proven talent developed.  I have even heard Mallory say on radio she has tendency to play players to many minutes durning games and it does have effect longterm on their level of play. Finally i am not picking on Berhard because i think she like this team are better than last year and i know she is learning becoming a better coach like playing nothing like experience makes you better especially if keep you keep studying and learning from what your counter parts are doing.

Wins gives you options.  I only disagree on the margins.  Lets see how this plays out next year.  My guess more similar to SDSU than UND this tear.

10 hours ago, ND-fan said:

You probably have some great insights in there, but that's unreadable by a human. 

A couple of carriage returns to create paragraphs, to separate thoughts, would be great. 

12 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Even though you are talking about minutes, this is an "apples & oranges" average comparison. 

SDSU has a winning margin of 15+ points per game including 10 wins by 20 points or more.  Everyone of their roster is going to get playing time under that scenario - especially if you are a talented freshman.

UND's average margin is -1.1 points per games with no wins of 20+ points (only one win of 20+ points).  That obviously means we are in close games and don't have the luxury of using our bench (which is thin in talent) nearly as much as SDSU.  Two of the four UND examples you used (Lane & Sieben) are walk-ons so they aren't likely to get as much time as others.  (I don't know if any of the SDSU freshmen are WO's.)  Our other two (Anderson & McCarthy) were not highly recruited.  They may turn into excellent players but they don't have more talent than the ladies who are getting the minutes.  I agree that both Anderson and McCarthy have looked good at times.  Anderson played more minutes earlier in the season and, I thought, played pretty well.  I am not sure why her minutes have dried up.

Apples and Oranges!