SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard the Stars radio announcer say that Brian Lee was going to be a before and after player for Lincoln, but I could be wrong. I think Lincoln owns his USHL rights anyways

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He had knee surgery and isn't playing in the elite league. He may be in Lincoln after the HS season.

As Sprig noted, Watkins scored the OT game-winner for Vernon on Saturday against Kozek's Surrey Eagles, and Kozek was held off the scoresheet. On Sunday, Surrey prevailed in OT against Penticton, and the OT game-winner was scored by ... Andrew Kozek.

Vernon (5-1-0-2) is off to a fast start, and Watkins is 4-7-11 in 8 games.

Surrey (6-1-0-2) also looks to be good, with Kozek at 7-6-13 in 9 games.

Salmon Arm (3-6-0-0) is a different story this year, but Duncan has scored regularly, with 6-3-9 in just 6 games.

Maybe somebody already pointed this out and I missed it, but it seems like the recent UND recruits are along the lines of Blais's early teams (smaller guys with speed). Blais's last few classes seemed to have an emphasis on size to combat the clutch & grab employed to slow down those smaller, quick teams. Looking at Heisenberg's site, most of the recruits are in the 5'11", 175 lb range. Not that I'm complaining since we won two titles with small guys, but it's nice to have a few "big guys" to camp out in front of the net on the PP.

Maybe somebody already pointed this out and I missed it, but it seems like the recent UND recruits are along the lines of Blais's early teams (smaller guys with speed).  Blais's last few classes seemed to have an emphasis on size to combat the clutch & grab employed to slow down those smaller, quick teams.  Looking at Heisenberg's site, most of the recruits are in the 5'11", 175 lb range.  Not that I'm complaining since we won two titles with small guys, but it's nice to have a few "big guys" to camp out in front of the net on the PP.

I've noticed the same thing. If we possess speed and skill hopefully it will make up for size.

Maybe somebody already pointed this out and I missed it, but it seems like the recent UND recruits are along the lines of Blais's early teams (smaller guys with speed).  Blais's last few classes seemed to have an emphasis on size to combat the clutch & grab employed to slow down those smaller, quick teams.  Looking at Heisenberg's site, most of the recruits are in the 5'11", 175 lb range.  Not that I'm complaining since we won two titles with small guys, but it's nice to have a few "big guys" to camp out in front of the net on the PP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Notice the size of the defense men, their monsters... I think that was done on fault. Fast up front, big defense in the back.

Having Fast speedy forwards is fine. But I also think UND needs a few bigger forwards too. Being too small up front can be a liability. UND needs to have a nice mix between speedy guys and bigger guys. There are going to be teams that can't skate with UND, so they are going to try and slow down UND and mucking it up, hooking, slashing, holding. This is not always going to get the proper attention it deserves from the refs ala Schmidt (2)...

The one d-man recruit that is bigger is Lee. If (and most likely when) Z Jones fills out like his brother he could be a monster. Matt Jones is 6'0'' 220, who knows maybe Zach can get that thick. Chorney isn't big but apparently picked up some weight and grew an inch over the summer. As I remember he is something like 5'11'' 180.

From the press release:

"Kozek, the Eagles current scoring leader had his choice of numerous top programs in the NCAA but chose to join former BCHL players Brady Murray and Travis Zajac at UND."

What, no love for Mike Prpich? He was one of the BCHL's MVP's his last year there.

Duncan scores again in SA's 4-2 win yesterday, to take over the goal (10) and point (13) lead for team, Duncan has done this in 9 games, 3 fewer than the rest of his teammates have played.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Duncan looks to be quite a quality player thus far. It's really tough genetics on his size. Again, the NHL will pass him over because of it. I'm sure of it. I'm not sure if Fleury was drafted, but regardless I can't remember the last player under 5'9" that wasn't a goaltender that was drafted.

I think he's in 11th at Shattuck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is a senior this year at Shattuck. I would think that Hak would be taking a long look at him as his brother is on the team and other than the fact that he is small (5'8" I believe), he is supposedly a good player.

I was impressed with Chay Genoway when I saw Shattuck play a couple of weeks ago. He's on the small side but he has very good skills. What I noticed most was that he worked his tail off every shift (similar to Colby). FWIW, Heisenberg has Chay "ranked" fairly high in the Minnesota/West section on his listings; right next to Vandevelde and Oshie. You can bet that Berry and Eades have him on the radar screen; perhaps they're waiting to see if they can land someone who they have ranked higher.

Taylor Chorney was solid again when I saw him. I thought he looked great at the Select 17 festival in July but he looked even better two weeks ago. Great pickup for the Sioux.

Toews was, as expected, a top shelf player but the guy who impressed me the most was Kyle Okposo. He's only 16 but I think this kid is going to be great. He's from St Paul and I read somewhere that the Gophers have the inside track on him. Hopefully the Sioux-SSM pipeline can stretch to include Okposo.