SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruits - 2004/05 Updates

jk

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see how Mario Lamoureux does this season in Tri-City and if the Sioux try to recruit him in the next couple years. In the Buc Bowl this preseason he got 1 goal and 1 assist in 3 games and so far this season in 2 games he has got 1 assist. Any one have any input to say about him?

This post on the BCHL message board reads that Matt Watkins of the Veron Vipers has committed to play for the Sioux next year.

Watkins, a 5'11", 180 lb. forward from Aylesbury, Sask, is 2-5-7 through 6 games as a 17 year old rookie with Vernon.

Aylesbury is north of Moose Jaw, just a few kilometers south of Craik, home of former Sioux Doug Smail and, I think, Jim Archibald.

This post on the BCHL message board reads that Matt Watkins of the Veron Vipers has committed to play for the Sioux next year.

Watkins, a 5'11", 180 lb. forward from Aylesbury, Sask,  is 2-5-7 through 6 games as a 17 year old rookie with Vernon.

Aylesbury is north of Moose Jaw, just a few kilometers south of Craik, home of former Sioux Doug Smail and, I think, Jim Archibald.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. I've never heard of him. Another off the radar recruit (kinda like Kaip and Miller?)

It will be interesting to see how Mario Lamoureux does this season in Tri-City and if the Sioux try to recruit him in the next couple years. In the Buc Bowl this preseason he got 1 goal and 1 assist in 3 games and so far this season in 2 games he has got 1 assist. Any one have any input to say about him?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he also had an assist in a preseason Omaha game I went to a couple of weeks ago.

He's stepping right in there and filling a huge talent loss from last season. Littler is still playing with the lines a bit, but I've noticed he's been mostly centering the third line. Not bad for a '88. I like what I see so far. The kid is not afraid to throw himself right in the action. I'll let him get a few more games under his belt and try to give another update.

Some info on Watkins:

Drafted in round 7 (126 overall) by Kamloops in the WHL.

He was the SMAAAHL (Sask. Midget league) Top Forward for 2003-04, and on the First All-Star Team.

Going into the national finals last year:

"Tisdale [Watkins' midget team] too is no stranger to the event as they make their second appearance in three years. Finishing second in league play the Trojans dumped the first place Saskatoon Contacts in four games in the best-of-five league finals to earn the right to represent the Saskatchewan Hockey Association.

The Trojans also provide and good combination of offense and defense. Posting a 9-3 playoff record Dillon Johnstone and Matt Watkins shared the SMAAAHL post-season scoring crown with 16 points apiece. Watkins also led his league in scoring during the regular season 71 points. Mike Reich and Craig Cuthbert also chipped in with eight points apiece."

Watkins, a 5'11", 180 lb. forward from Aylesbury, Sask,  is 2-5-7 through 6 games as a 17 year old rookie with Vernon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to see some more Canadians coming to UND. I love it. I love it when we pound the Gophers with a team loaded with Canucks, then the idiots come out of the wood work spouting off about how we have a team loaded with 25 year old Canadians.

Stampede Announce 23-man Roster

Sioux Falls, SD- The Sioux Falls Stampede unveiled their 23-man roster yesterday. All USHL teams entered the preseason with a 25-man roster, but under USHL guidelines needed to have their rosters reduced to 23 players by early Tuesday morning.

The Stampede released defenseman Josh Elzinga and goaltender Kasey Moreland. Elzinga played in 40 games last season with the Stampede, chipping in eight assists. Elzinga has informed team officials that he is pursuing a professional career in the United Hockey League (UHL) and has already signed a pro contract. When Elzinga hits the ice in the UHL he will become the seventh Stampede player to play professional hockey.

Moreland played in 35 games last year with the Stampede, collaborating a 6-15-1 record, a 3.54 GAA and a .904 saves percentage. It has been learned that Moreland was pursued by other USHL teams, but has decided to step away from hockey and pursue a college education.

The Stampede roster is now set at 23 players and includes forward T.J. Oshie of Warroad, MN. Oshie is expected to join the Stampede for Saturdays home opener versus Waterloo. Oshie, is a 510" forward who has already committed to the University of North Dakota. He is scheduled to return to Warroad High School once the high school season begins and return to the Stampede after his high school season has ended.

The Stampede open the 2004-05 season this Saturday at the Sioux Falls Arena versus the defending Clark Cup Champion Waterloo Black Hawks. Game time 7:05 PM and tickets are still available.

Just saw this and thought it was interesting. I guess Moreland is not going to be playing for UND or any other college.

Some info on Watkins:

Drafted in round 7 (126 overall) by Kamloops in the WHL.

He was the SMAAAHL (Sask. Midget league) Top Forward for 2003-04, and on the First All-Star Team.

Going into the national finals last year:

"Tisdale [Watkins' midget team] too is no stranger to the event as they make their second appearance in three years. Finishing second in league play the Trojans dumped the first place Saskatoon Contacts in four games in the best-of-five league finals to earn the right to represent the Saskatchewan Hockey Association.

The Trojans also provide and good combination of offense and defense. Posting a 9-3 playoff record Dillon Johnstone and Matt Watkins shared the SMAAAHL post-season scoring crown with 16 points apiece. Watkins also led his league in scoring during the regular season 71 points. Mike Reich and Craig Cuthbert also chipped in with eight points apiece."

SMAAAHL Player of the Week

I think he's the only 2 time winner of the POTW last year, and was voted Player of the Month for January (a month he didn't even win POTW) which shows consistency.

Heisenberg has him listed on his site too, so I think we've heard about this from enough angles to bank on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Heisenberg didn't have him up yesterday when I saw the BCHL message board post. Interesting, Heisenberg has him at 155, Vernon site at 180. Must be on the Fornier diet :D

Article on Hockey Scouting:

The secret is out: Kozek is a blue chipper

By the www.hockeyscouting.ca staff

The secret is out; Andrew Kozek, a forward with the BCHL's South Surrey Eagles, is one of the fastest rising 1986 born hockey players in North America.

"He will be a top end BCHL player next season," says one scout, "he reminds me of a young Dallas Drake. The kid will have his pick of any USA College Division One program he wants if he continues to play like he did at the end of the regular season when I saw him last play."

Kozek started last season slowly, but gained momentum with each passing game according to scouts: